Foles back to Philly?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Just sitting relaxing before I have to do some yard work and car maintenance prior to the game.

So I have ESPN turned on. Why I don't know but that is not the point. I can't remember the reporter who said this but it's one of those prominent ones who is usually correct. He says Bradford won't be given the franchise tag and Philly may be looking to bring back Foles.

I say yes please! Not that I hate Foles but we all know how that extension is handcuffing us. This move would make me think the Rams would be drafting a QB instead of a FA signing. You know, lessons learned like we did with the O line and FA?

Thoughts?

Enjoy your day and the game, Rams Brothers.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have some Rams fan friends who live in the Philly area, I imagine it was one of them....

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The contract's not hamstringing the Rams. I see no realistic way any team would trade for Foles BEFORE the $6 million roster bonus is paid, and his actual salary isn't that much for a backup QB. Still, if they want to give the Rams a draft pick for him, more power to them.

RamBill

Legend
Nick Foles to the Eagles? Don't believe the rumor
By Eliot Shorr-Parks | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/02/nick_foles_to_the_eagles_how_an_internet_rumor_dom.html

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. -- Welcome to Super Bowl Sunday, the ending of a crazy week filled with hype and hysteria for the big game between the Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos.

And now also a week featuring one rumor that has Eagles fans going wild just a few hours before the game.

How did it begin?

At around 10:21 a.m. EST on Sunday, an Eagles' fan posted this (alleged) alert from ESPN:

The tweet sent Eagles' fans into a frenzy, as it wasn't followed up by any actual report on Twitter or TV from ESPN's Adam Schefter, who supposedly reported the information that caused the alert.

For now, it is safe to assume the alert isn't true, and this is Twitter playing a joke on the craziest NFL day of the year.

It is also safe to assume Nick Foles coming back to the Eagles isn't true for a number of other reasons.

Walking through radio row, Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch didn't have the profile that a certain quarterback playing in Super Bowl 50 this Sunday has.

To start, Eagles' top personnel executive Howie Roseman is not a fan of Foles. He didn't want to draft him in 2012, and instead wanted Kirk Cousins, who ended up with the Washington Redskins.

In addition, even after Foles made the Pro Bowl in 2014, Roseman was not a fan of Foles, and was just as open to trading the quarterback as former-head coach Chip Kelly was. It was one of the few things the two agreed on.

The one supporter Foles might have in the NovaCare Complex is new head coach Doug Pederson, who coached Foles in 2012.

It is unrealistic, however, to think Pederson has the kind of pull to make Roseman get over his dislike for Foles and re-acquire the quarterback -- especially for $8.75 million, which Foles is set to make next season.

Is anything possible? Sure.

But for now, enjoy Super Bowl Sunday and don't believe what the internet is telling you abut Foles.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
@ProFootballTalk is now tweeting Eagles in bringing back Nick Foles

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is unrealistic, however, to think Pederson has the kind of pull to make Roseman get over his dislike for Foles and re-acquire the quarterback -- especially for $8.75 million, which Foles is set to make next season.

$6 million of that is the roster bonus, which I would expect any trade to come after it is paid, so that would be on the Rams not the Eagles. $1 million of that $8.75 million is an already paid signing bonus. Salary is $1.75 million - good luck finding a veteran QB for less than that. It took me literally seconds to get those figures. Don't reporters do ANY work before writing?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
View: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/696377954218151936

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports new Eagles coach Doug Pederson is "interested" in bringing Nick Foles back to Philadelphia.

The quarterback wheels are spinning in Philly. Schefter reported Sunday the Eagles are no longer planning to franchise tag Sam Bradford, and now it looks like Pederson is gearing up for a reunion with Foles. Pederson was the Eagles' quarterbacks coach when the team drafted Foles in 2012. Foles is coming off a dreadful year in St. Louis, but the $7.75 million he'll make in 2016 is far less than what Bradford will command in free agency. It's unclear what the Rams would be looking for in a trade for Foles. The Rams benched Foles down the stretch last year, deciding Case Keenum was a better option. Feb 7 - 12:29 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7475/nick-foles

I wonder what that says for where Sam Bradford & his agent will land?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the rumor has legs because the Eagles are looking to draft a QB just like the Rams are. But when they do, they need an affordable option to bridge the time if he's not ready and Bradford is probably going to cost upwards of $17-18 million per. Foles meets that criteria far better than many other options and his association with the city would be of benefit as well. Plus he is probably very motivated to show that last season wasn't him and I think there's a good chance that's true if he is familliar with the offense Pederson runs which he should be. So it would not surprise me in the least if the Eagles were interested.

It also makes sense for the Rams of course. Foles and Keenum are the same thing to the Rams: backup guys and functionally bridge QBs to get the team as many wins as possible while the talented kid comes online. Plus, in the Rams' case, they also have Mannion lined up to compete for that job so they effectively have a surplus in backup QBs. It is almost certain one of them gets moved.

Lastly, Foles' cap hit is not going to be significant compared to what it would take to reel in a FA at the position. I think you're looking at a minimum of $15 million per and it's gonna be higher for Sam. So from that perspective the $8.7 million cap hit that Nick brings is not that significant particularly for a team that thinks he can run their offense.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Anyone pays Sam Bradford 15+ million is likely doomed. That dude is NOT worth that kind of money. Been printing cash since joining the league though. Lucky everywhere but between the white lines.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Wait a minute. Why aren't the Broncos rumored to be interested in Bradford? Hmmmm

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eagles should send us their 3rd or maybe even their 4th for Foles :D

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
@ProFootballTalk is now tweeting Eagles in bringing back Nick Foles

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/07/eagles-interested-in-bringing-back-nick-foles/

Eagles interested in bringing back Nick Foles
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 7, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpti0y2zmzdkzztzjmmu4zme4nwy0nwexyza0mta0nmfk-e1414753768788.jpeg
Getty Images

The Eagles want to undo much of what Chip Kelly did in his disastrous year running team personnel, and they may try to undo the biggest move Kelly made.

A year after trading Nick Foles for Sam Bradford, Philadelphia may let Bradford walk and bring Foles back. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Eagles are not expected to use the franchise tag to keep Bradford, and that they are interested in acquiring Foles.

That’s no surprise: Bradford hasn’t played well enough to justify the $20 million salary that would come with the franchise tag. And Foles played well enough at times in Philadelphia that the Eagles may think he could win for them again.

The Rams, however, control Foles for now, as he’s under contract for 2016. But Foles has a $6 million roster bonus due on the third day of the league year, and after he was benched for Case Keenum last year, the Rams may decide to cut Foles and set him free in 2016.

If that happens, Foles may find himself back in Philadelphia, playing for new Eagles head coach Doug Pederson, who was the Eagles’ quarterbacks coach in Foles’ rookie year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/07/eagles-interested-in-bringing-back-nick-foles/

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpti0y2zmzdkzztzjmmu4zme4nwy0nwexyza0mta0nmfk-e1414753768788.jpeg
Getty Images

The Eagles want to undo much of what Chip Kelly did in his disastrous year running team personnel, and they may try to undo the biggest move Kelly made.

A year after trading Nick Foles for Sam Bradford, Philadelphia may let Bradford walk and bring Foles back. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Eagles are not expected to use the franchise tag to keep Bradford, and that they are interested in acquiring Foles.

That’s no surprise: Bradford hasn’t played well enough to justify the $20 million salary that would come with the franchise tag. And Foles played well enough at times in Philadelphia that the Eagles may think he could win for them again.

The Rams, however, control Foles for now, as he’s under contract for 2016. But Foles has a $6 million roster bonus due on the third day of the league year, and after he was benched for Case Keenum last year, the Rams may decide to cut Foles and set him free in 2016.

If that happens, Foles may find himself back in Philadelphia, playing for new Eagles head coach Doug Pederson, who was the Eagles’ quarterbacks coach in Foles’ rookie year.
Make it happen, Les.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Getty Images

Smith doesn't realize that roster bonus is guaranteed. Cutting or trading Foles saves all of $750k in cap room for 2016 unless they do it after June 1. It does save a little room in 2017. The only way it saves money is if some team is willing to take Foles before the roster bonus is paid - which the Rams would gladly give him away if that were the case.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know. Now that the Eagles want him, I think I want to keep him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

what a disaster that trade turned out to be. the rams paid foles the same money they would have had to pay sam and watched him singlehandedly ruin their season with some of the worst display of qbing the league has ever seen. you win some, you lose some. the trade was as bad as it gets unless the 2nd rounder turns into gold.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
They can give us a 3rd round pick for him if they want.

That way the Eagles would have given up Nick Foles, a 2nd rounder, a 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder for Nick Foles and a 5th rounder. That's a great deal for them.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
what a disaster that trade turned out to be. the rams paid foles the same money they would have had to pay sam
??? How are you figuring?

On a side note - I think we ought to put together a GoFundMe and make this happen.