Foles already vocal leader for Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Foles already vocal leader for Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0315c057-661b-57f4-b79b-54bbde050d4b.html

Before he wins any football games, Nick Foles must first win over the locker room. Less than three months after the surprise trade that brought him here from Philadelphia, that process is well underway at Rams Park.

“He’s very boisterous, very up-tempo,” offensive guard Rodger Saffold said. “Seems to be really excited about every day, about every opportunity. Which is really good.

“He really likes to lift guys. So you see him a lot in the locker room. You hear him a lot on the field. Those are good things to get from your quarterback. He’s very inspiring. That’s a good thing for us, especially with so many young guys. They need that.”

At first blush, it’s a different personality than predecessor Sam Bradford. Bradford began his pro career respectful of running back Steven Jackson’s status as the undisputed team leader. But Bradford was more low-key, and even after Jackson left the coaching staff encouraged him to exert more of a leadership role.

Apparently, Foles needs no nudging in that direction.

“That chemistry’s been great from Day 1, since he’s been in here,” wide receiver Kenny Britt said of Foles. “He’s been one of the guys that goes in the locker room and pumps people up. If you’re down, he’s the first one (to say): ‘Hey c’mon. We’ve gotta go right now.’ To tell you the truth, it’s kind of exciting to see him in there.”

Foles is smart enough to realize that’s a key part of his job in St. Louis, as important as learning the playbook or making throws on the field.

“Absolutely,” Foles said. “The way we’re going to be successful on Sunday is the relationships. Come the fourth quarter, we have to know each other. We have to care about each other. That’s where you stick together through adversity.

“So just getting to know the guys in the workouts, in the film room, in the training room — whatever we do — is a key part of it.”

Britt hopes the “whatever we do” element of Foles’ relationship-building effort expands to include taking the wide receivers out to dinner.

“I asked him: ‘Hey bro, we’ve got to get something going right now. We’ll go to Five Guys. It doesn’t matter to me,’” Britt said, laughing.

After three seasons and one Pro Bowl in Philadelphia, Foles was as surprised as anyone by the March 10 trade that sent him to St. Louis and Bradford to Philly. Shocked might be a better word.

“Yeah, I did not expect a trade, and that’s the truth,” Foles said. “But that was the realization. Once I started talking to Coach (Jeff) Fisher I was excited to get to know him because that’s where my life was taking me. I enjoyed my time in Philadelphia. I was there for three years, I built a lot of relationships.”

But now it’s time to build new relationships and embrace a new opportunity to be a starter.

“Nick’s been great, not only in the team stuff but in the individual days with the receivers and everybody,” Fisher said. “He’s taken charge.”

Fisher said Foles has gone out of his way to meet everybody from the day he walked in the door of the team facility in Earth City.

“Everything that we heard is true, and I’m sure we’re gonna be surprised as we move ahead with him because we’ve been really pleased,” Fisher said.

For now, Foles has a lot on his plate.

“He’s got a good feel for our offense right now,” Fisher said. “He’s got his hands full because we have great defensive team speed, and they’re doing a lot of thing over there right now.”

That, in a nutshell, encapsulated Foles’ first week of organized team activities as a Ram. During the two days of practices open to the media, Thursday and Friday, Foles was under frequent pressure from the pass rush.

Even with spring football’s league-mandated limitations — namely, no pads and nothing close to full contact — the defensive press made it difficult for Foles to operate at times. The result was hurried throws, and even several throwaways.

All of which has been compounded by the fact that he’s working behind a very young offensive line, one missing starting left tackle Greg Robinson (toe) and starting left guard Saffold (shoulder). Both are continuing their rehab work from offseason surgery, and both are sitting out 11-on-11 work at this time.

As a result, Foles is working behind two rookies — right guard Jamon Brown and right tackle Rob Havenstein — with the first unit. Three players have been rotating at center: Barrett Jones, Demetrius Rhaney and Tim Barnes.

Brandon Washington, who’s spent most of his time with the Rams on the practice squad, has been the first-team left tackle in place of Robinson. Free-agent pickup Garrett Reynolds has been the starting left guard in place of Saffold.

“They’re going to do a great job,” Foles said speaking specifically of the rookies. “I remember my rookie year and what’s it’s like during these OTA’s. This is really the foundation. You’re going to have those growing pains. They’re doing a great job right now learning, getting reps, and they’re going against a pretty darn good defensive front.”

As he learns the playbook, his teammates, and his coaching staff, Foles is getting reacquainted with operating under center, something foreign to him in the up-tempo Philly offense of Eagles coach Chip Kelly.

“It’s a different offense, but I’m loving the offense.” Foles said. “We’re gonna have different terminology, different things going on, but that’s the fun of it. I get to learn more football.”

A big part of learning his teammates includes learning his receivers. Communication is key.

“What they see on the routes, how they’re gonna run their routes, what they see in the defenders,” Foles said. “When I see my receivers run routes, I can tell who’s good at what. So then you get an idea where to throw the ball to different guys.

“The receivers have been awesome. They’re buying in. They’re working hard, and they’re going to make some plays.”

But for Foles and the offense, the process has just begun.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
P9NC2Ce.jpg

paceram

Pro Bowler

I will always like and respect Sam Bradford but I definitely thought it was the right move and it was time for a change! And, I wonder what the Eagles fans are saying about Foles and Bradford.

jjab360

Legend
Remember guys, assume that every compliment Foles is ever going to get is going to be an insult towards Bradford, no matter what.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I can't wait until Foles gets his first sideline shove from Cook!;)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Really good news ... I have a feeling that Foles is just so positive because, through college and in the pros, all his teams have had terrible defenses. Now he has a real one, and the success of the team really depends on offensive production....I never really liked Foles...But I do respect his ability to stand in there and take a shot in the pocket..Maybe he has grown and can deliver....He did have a good playoff game in Philly against a good defense 2 years ago....

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

With a Good Season Could Foles Get A Dalton-Type Contract?

ESPN’s Kevin Seifert joined Kevin Wheeler to talk about the recent contract Cam Newton got, why QBs are getting these contracts, what’s taking so long with Russell Wilson, and the contract Nick Foles could be looking at.

Listen to Seifert Interview