FO Almanac bashed Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Has anyone read the 2013 FO Almanac? They were unmerciful in their review of the Rams. Harsh words for Fisher, Bradford, especially.

Calling Fisher the worst "good" coach ever, and Sam is another Jason Campbell.

jap

Legend
That's just locker room fodder for the Rams to chew on to fire them up!

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
It's funny how many national NFL guys come to camp in St. Louis and go away impressed believing the Rams are a playoff team, meanwhile this publication gives them a crappy review. Who cares, let's see how it really goes once the games start.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
These guys have always bashed the Rams. They seem to go out of their way to ignore positive aspects and totally focus on the negative. Funny thing is that when you look at their stat rankings the Rams aren't as bad as their write-ups.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Who!? I've never heard of the FO Almanac...and that's how much I care....so F**k EM!! Don't mess with me I'm ragin!!

XwMkQf2.jpg

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Dr.RamsFanCK said:
Who!? I've never heard of the FO Almanac...and that's how much I care....so F**k EM!! Don't mess with me I'm ragin!!
Yeah me either , I use to buy those pre-season pulp magazines and read them voraciously,now I just rather trust what I see and read the opine of fellow fans .

Some people print shit just to get bad coverage under the Jim Rhome ethos, fukkum.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
What did FO have to say specifically?

I respect a lot of their work, although I'm unsure how well their past predictions have fared.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
FO is Football Outsiders. Check their website.

Here's there review of Sam...
Three years into his NFL career, Sam Bradford has been pretty good at avoiding interceptions, and pretty bad at everything else. Recent quarterbacks who fit that description include Jason Campbell, Byron Leftwich, and Charlie Batch, which suggests that Bradford is a black quarterback who will settle into a long but undistinguished career as a backup. Going back to the ’80s and ’90s, however, we find other low-interception guys like John Friesz, Chris Miller, Neil Lomax, and Steve Young, a group that raises Bradford’s ceiling, lowers his floor, and brings up the possibility that he may be white. It’s all very confusing.
Bradford is also on the list of quarterbacks who played below replacement level in each of their first two seasons, usually an omen of a doomed career. Is his radical improvement in 2012 a sign that he has turned the corner? Only three quarterbacks who started their career in the negative DYAR range played better in their third qualifying seasons than Bradford did last year: Jeff George in 1992, Erik Kramer in 1993, and Trent Dilfer in 1997. George and Kramer would go on to become basically average passers over the rest of their careers (albeit with some dramatic ups and downs), while Dilfer would never have a season that good again. Bradford was able to keep his head above water last season, but he’ll need to make serious headway this fall to truly live up to his status as a number-one overall pick.

Here's their review of Fisher....
The first time the Rams win in 2013, Jeff Fisher will become the 19th coach in NFL history with 150 wins. That’s the good news. The bad news is that if he finishes the year with a losing record, he’ll have the worst win-loss record of those 19 coaches, and he’ll join Bud Grant, Chuck Knox, Dan Reeves, and Marty Schottenheimer as the only members of that group without a championship. In short, Fisher could be the worst good coach we’ve ever seen. His resemblance to Schottenheimer may have helped him attract Brian Scottenheimer, who joined the Rams last season as offensive coordinator after six seasons with the Jets. From Chad Pennington to Brett Favre to Mark Sanchez to Sam Bradford, his teams have finished in the lower half of the league in passing DVOA for six straight years. The Rams hired Gregg Williams as defensive coordinator before the 2012 sea- son, but when he was suspended for his role in the Saints’ bounty scandal, they opted to leave the position vacant, and Fisher took a large role in running the defense himself. This year they’ve gone the more conventional route, hiring Tim Walton to fill the position. Walton had previously coached defensive backs for Fisher’s protégé Jim Schwartz in Detroit. Assistant head coach Dave McGinnis will serve as Fisher’s top flunky for the tenth straight season. Defensive line coach Mike Wauffle made a name for himself with the Giants, where he turned Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck into Super Bowl winners. He then had a success- ful two-year run in Oakland (first in Adjusted Sack Rate, fourth in Adjusted Line Yards in 2010) before working wonders with the Rams last year.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The first three sentences of that "review" destroys w/e credibility the stat obsessed FO had. They're now on the level of walterfootball to me.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:
The first three sentences of that "review" destroys w/e credibility the stat obsessed FO had. They're now on the level of walterfootball to me.

Yep, that was my thought as well. Completely unprofessional and a bit racist.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That first paragraph? WTF? Seriously... that's acceptable "journalism" in whose book? Yeah..."it's all very confusing". What a douchebag.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Angry Ram said:

I agree.

These guys have lost their way, getting bogged down in a morass of their numbers.

I think a big part of their problem is that they are predisposed to bashing the Rams and they have enough data to paint them any way they want.

There's an old statistician joke...

A statistician is in a job interview and is asked what is the sum of 1 + 1, and he responds, what do you want it to be?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

Agreed i cant believe they even went there.

RustyRay

Rookie
max said:
FO is Football Outsiders. Check their website.

Here's there review of Sam...

Three years into his NFL career, Sam Bradford has been pretty good at avoiding interceptions, and pretty bad at everything else. Recent quarterbacks who fit that description include Jason Campbell, Byron Leftwich, and Charlie Batch, which suggests that Bradford is a black quarterback who will settle into a long but undistinguished career as a backup. Going back to the ’80s and ’90s, however, we find other low-interception guys like John Friesz, Chris Miller, Neil Lomax, and Steve Young, a group that raises Bradford’s ceiling, lowers his floor, and brings up the possibility that he may be white. It’s all very confusing.

All I needed to read was this paragraph to know that all this "article" is good for is wadding up to start a fire.

What complete and utter garbage.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Rabid Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

Agreed i cant believe they even went there.

+1. What I love about FO is the unique stats they compile, but they apparently have no ability to insightfully opine on those stats

Iron Lion

Starter
Stats can be very deceiving. Last year Stafford had a great day against the Jaguars. The whole Lions team dominated the game, but Stafford put in his fair share. His TD total? 0. It was because Stafford kept leading drives to 5 and then the terrible Jags' goal line defense just let our RB literally walk in untouched.

But you cannot even say that the most important stat is how many TD drives a QB leads per game, because someone like Peyton Manning might have fewer than the other elite QBs due to the methodical way that Peyton drives the ball down the field. In fact, typically a 7-minute TD drive is far better than a 3-minute TD drive.

But by any measure, there is something worth noting about Bradford. I've looked this over in the past. He's had 7 starts in his career where the Rams got no offensive TD at all. And the distribution is relatively equal throughout his career: 3 in his rookie year, 2 in 2011, and 3 last year. So this seems to be something that is consistent, and while they did not mention it in the article it is probably what they're referring to.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Iron Lion interjected:
But by any measure, there is something worth noting about Bradford. I've looked this over in the past. He's had 7 starts in his career where the Rams got no offensive TD at all. And the distribution is relatively equal throughout his career: 3 in his rookie year, 2 in 2011, and 3 last year. So this seems to be something that is consistent, and while they did not mention it in the article it is probably what they're referring to.

The Rams lack of offensive weapons at WR was the consistent factor in all three years. That's just one of the many examples of variables that enable people to use stats to prove whatever point they want.

So I disagree with the bolded part of your post.

bluecoconuts

Legend
When you have no weapons and are constantly rotating out coordinators and players, it's not shocking that the offense isn't there. Instead people should be impressed that Bradford made Amendola, Gibson, and Robinson into players that teams wanted, other than the castoffs they were when they came to St Louis.

Iron Lion

Starter
Well I'm as interested as you guys are to see how Bradford does this year. Has to be a make or break year this time around.