Florio: Rams should have selected Russell Wilson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Irish

Starter
The Rams should have selected Aaron Rodgers in 2005 with the 18th pick instead of Alex Barron.

Does anyone know the name of the editor in chief of Pro Football Talk? I would like to apply for job.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
It's interesting that Florio criticizes the Pead pick. And sure, he's an easy target because he's clearly trending towards BUST. But at the time, the Rams were in desperate need for a backup and successor to SJ39. Picking a RB with a high pick made all the sense in the world. Picking a QB with that pick would have made no sense whatsoever presuming the Rams had reasonable faith in Bradford.

Without the magical gift of 20/20 hindsight (ie not knowing who would become pro bowlers or who would get injured), the only thing I'd really say is wrong with the Pead pick is that they should have stayed where they were (rather than trading down for a 5th that became Rok Watkins) and taken Bobby Wagner. Give me hindsight on who would be the better LB and I'd have taken Lavonte David. QB would not have crossed my mind, except perhaps a developmental guy later on. Again, with 20/20 hindsight on the draft itself and perhaps Doc Brown coming back from the future and telling me that Bradford would have 2 season ending ACLs in the next two years to nudge me in the right direction, Wilson, Kirk Cousins and Nick Foles were all still around when the Rams picked Tru Jo in the 3rd. Lavonte David + Russell Wilson > Russell Wilson + Tru Jo. We could play the 20/20 hindsight game all day long.

For Florio to write an article like this, the pick in question should be obvious as a potentially epic draft fail the moment the pick was made (e.g. Donny Avery over Desean Jackson), that the brain trust is betting big on themselves as the "smartest guys in the room" and everyone else thinks they are the dumbest guys in the room.

To Florio's point but without hindsight, I honestly am still a little miffed that the Rams didn't pick a QB earlier this year e.g. in the 4th rather than Mo Alexander. You add on some hindsight with the emergence of TJ McD and the acquisition of Mark Barron, this becomes even more painful.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Captain_Hindsight_766605.jpg

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
To Florio's point but without hindsight, I honestly am still a little miffed that the Rams didn't pick a QB earlier this year e.g. in the 4th rather than Mo Alexander. You add on some hindsight with the emergence of TJ McD and the acquisition of Mark Barron, this becomes even more painful.

Agreed, going into this draft I really thought we should have grabbed a backup QB like Mettenberger. Going into this season with Bradford, Hill, Mettenberger, and Davis would have made me a lot more confident. I didn't figure Bradford would be out that quick, but I didn't figure he would last long.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Hey florio let me just lleave tthis here for ya

From 2012:As if the day wasn't bad enough, Seattle selecting Russell Wilson, a QB that doesn't fit their offense at all, was by far the worst move of the draft. With the two worst moves of the draft, Seattle is the only team that received an F on draft day.Oof. B/R wasn't alone in ripping the Seahawks' selection of Wilson; our own Pete Prisco gave the pick a D and gave the Seahawks a C+ for the entire draft, noting that Bruce Irvin is "the key" to turning it around. Mel Kiper of ESPN gave the Seahawks a C- for the draft and questioned the Wilson pick as well. Chris Burke of SI.com pointed out that Wilson has "a bright future" but gave the Hawks a C and wondered about the pick as well because of Flynn.There were very few people whobelieved in Wilson

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams should have selected Aaron Rodgers in 2005 with the 18th pick instead of Alex Barron.

Does anyone know the name of the editor in chief of Pro Football Talk? I would like to apply for job.

This^ In so many ways!

tonyl711

Starter
why didn't anyone draft Warner? every team in the league is stupid I guess.

Alan

Legend
Like 95% of all writers, they all sometimes say really stupid stuff. This is one of Florio's classic brain farts. :LOL:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I stopped reading at his remarks about Russell Wilson winning the Superbowl.
Wilson didn't lose the Superbowl, but his pedestrian numbers certainly didn't carry his team to victory. Quite the opposite.

The Chickens can have him.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Wilson is a good QB but not great a lot of his success is because of the Sea defense. And while he has done things on his own he will and has missed G.Taint.He is a leg injury away from being good to being OK.
He struggles against the Rams ! And a number of other teams also! Wasn't on the Rams radar as a qb was not a need or a want then! Florio's a douche

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
He struggles against the Rams ! And a number of other teams also! Wasn't on the Rams radar as a qb was not a need or a want then! Florio's a douche
Yep he had a good game in the 1st meeting but for the most part you are right our Rams have had him in check.And now that the defense is playing more to what we expected they will have him in check again in week 17.

Mike Florio: Founder, Owner and Editor in Chief. :doh:

Out of the first round of the 2012 draft we still ended up with Mark Barron the #7 pick and Michael Brockers the #14 pick.

Florio should instead be picking on the Browns who drafted Brandon Weeden, the Dolphins who drafted Ryan Tannehill, and the Broncos who drafted Brock Osweiler ahead of Russell Wilson.

I'd imagine the Dolphins are pretty damn happy with Tanehill right about now.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Since my DVR went on the blink last week, I haven't been able to record PFT....I feel like my life experience has increased exponentially...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Hey florio let me just lleave tthis here for ya

From 2012:As if the day wasn't bad enough, Seattle selecting Russell Wilson, a QB that doesn't fit their offense at all, was by far the worst move of the draft. With the two worst moves of the draft, Seattle is the only team that received an F on draft day.Oof. B/R wasn't alone in ripping the Seahawks' selection of Wilson; our own Pete Prisco gave the pick a D and gave the Seahawks a C+ for the entire draft, noting that Bruce Irvin is "the key" to turning it around. Mel Kiper of ESPN gave the Seahawks a C- for the draft and questioned the Wilson pick as well. Chris Burke of SI.com pointed out that Wilson has "a bright future" but gave the Hawks a C and wondered about the pick as well because of Flynn.There were very few people whobelieved in Wilson

Was this from FLorio himself????? OMG if so someone needs to tweet or facebook or whatever just to rub his nose in it.

Athos

Legend
So much cpt. obvious and Wilson knob-slobbering.

Maybe I'm alone, but Wilson just seems so damn mediocre if he's contained in the pocket. Granted, he's world class throwing on the run and knowing how to avoid injuries....but once his legs start disappearing even a fraction, he's going to get hit and get hit hard. Also be interesting how he does without Lynch toting the rock so much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So should a number of other teams...Captain Dipshit...I mean Florio.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I stopped at the thread title. Just think of all the Probowl talent we could have if we had Florio's abilities at hindsight. We would win every Superbowl going back to the beginning of the merger and every NFL championship before that. Oh wait! Russell Wilson? Wouldn't we already have that position covered with actual great QBs? Our second and third stringers would be far better than wittle Wussell. Oh wait! Who would need a second or third string QB. We'd just pick the guy who never got injured and was a great QB.

One question though. Would it get boring winning everything with hindsight? I mean, you'd know before hand after the fact everything the other team did (without taping them of course). Oh well. One can dream.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
You guys might laugh at me, but I would totally have drafted Eddie George and Marvin Harrison in 1996 rather than Lawrence Phillips and Eddie Kennison. OBVIOUS mistake.

Rams0307

Mike Florio is the epitome of what's wrong with media today. He perpetuates narratives rather than reporting facts. He picks up non-stories from other publications and tries to turn them into headline stories. He's all style, no substance so to say. And yet he kills it because that's what our society has become.