Floor for Lynch, Ceiling for Cook?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
So, I'd love to get some thoughts on this. I like these two guys chances better than the other developmental QB types later though they both have their warts. I'm curious to see what people think about where they go.

Lynch at 15 seems a bit high to me but it was just reported that the Bills are meeting with him and they're at 19. Could be posturing over Tyrod's contract but I think it's a smart play by the Bills (they wouldn't have to worry about losing Tyrod after this year as much and certainly wouldn't have to worry about overpaying him as much).

I was of the thinking that we could trade down a bit and have a shot at Lynch but when you see the Bills and Jets sitting there at 19 and 20 (Fitzpatrick isn't signed and even if he does get signed, he's not a long term answer), I don't think you can afford to drop more than a slot or two if you like Lynch.

As to Cook. I think his ceiling is Denver at 31 in the 1st. I can't see him worth being taken higher and while I don't think he's worth a first round pick, the last pick in the 1st round is a bit more of a wildcard. I don't really buy someone expending a pick to trade back into the 1st for Cook, I just don't think he's good enough for that. As far as the top of the 2nd. Maybe the Cowboys at 34 or someone trading up in front of us for him, otherwise, I think he drops to us at 43.

Any thoughts?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Just watched Lynch at his pro day.
He's light years ahead of the level he was at the combine.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I take the Ceiling for the block, please!
tumblr_mx4wt0QJUO1qzsq0xo1_500.gif

Ram Man

Rookie
So, I'd love to get some thoughts on this. I like these two guys chances better than the other developmental QB types later though they both have their warts. I'm curious to see what people think about where they go.

Lynch at 15 seems a bit high to me but it was just reported that the Bills are meeting with him and they're at 19. Could be posturing over Tyrod's contract but I think it's a smart play by the Bills (they wouldn't have to worry about losing Tyrod after this year as much and certainly wouldn't have to worry about overpaying him as much).

I was of the thinking that we could trade down a bit and have a shot at Lynch but when you see the Bills and Jets sitting there at 19 and 20 (Fitzpatrick isn't signed and even if he does get signed, he's not a long term answer), I don't think you can afford to drop more than a slot or two if you like Lynch.

As to Cook. I think his ceiling is Denver at 31 in the 1st. I can't see him worth being taken higher and while I don't think he's worth a first round pick, the last pick in the 1st round is a bit more of a wildcard. I don't really buy someone expending a pick to trade back into the 1st for Cook, I just don't think he's good enough for that. As far as the top of the 2nd. Maybe the Cowboys at 34 or someone trading up in front of us for him, otherwise, I think he drops to us at 43.

Any thoughts?

After the Rams pick at 15 the only other teams that might draft a QB with their first round pick are the Jets at 20 and the Broncos at 31. The Bills won't be taking a QB at 19 with Tyrod Taylor there. If neither the Rams or the Jets take Lynch with their picks the Rams could try and trade for him before the Broncos pick.
Agree with your assessment on Cook.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
What an intriguing draft for QBs.

You have the Browns, 9ers, Eagles, Rams, Jets, and Broncos (and to a lesser extent the Cowboys and Bills) all in the market.

Then you have these prospects and it depends on who and when you ask as to how they fall.

Wentz is seemingly the consensus #1 QB prospect - but I've seen rankings where he is as low as the 3rd QB

Goff is either 1,2, or 3 depending on who you ask.

Lynch is generally 3 but appears to be #2 on several evaluators boards and may have the most pure upside of all.

Cook may be 4th, or it may be Hack, or maybe it's Dak, maybe Cardale, maybe Allen.

Some times we call it a two horse race, sometimes three.

We just don't know.

And since these are QBs we are talking about - is it more likely to see movement up and down the board for these teams with needs? I know it's the one position I wouldn't be taking my chances on - I'd go get my guy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Lynch is gone by early teens. IMO we can bank that. Keep saying that you simply cannot find guys with his talent level, the dude is a straight freak. Some team is gonna get a huge bargain on him if he lasts to the teens, too.

My bet is the Bills swoop ahead of the Rams and take him before 15 IF he even makes it that far. And if he goes to the Bills the dude is going to have a fantastic career because they have offensive talent and a great OC.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the black sheep pick here is if the 49ers (read Kelly) get cute and pick Lynch at 7. I don't think it's gonna happen but I would not be shocked if it did.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IF we can't get one of the Top 3! I'm not so sure I wouldn't wait and pick up, maybe, Jeff Driskel - Louisiana. 6 ft 4 /234/ 4.56 in the 40, and the Highest SPARQ score of any of the QB's!! JMHO I don't care for Cook.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I think the black sheep pick here is if the 49ers (read Kelly) get cute and pick Lynch at 7. I don't think it's gonna happen but I would not be shocked if it did.
What helps the Rams is Kelly has to sit there with his pie hole closed since he doesn't have the final say on the draft.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I think some people are overestimating the value of raw QBs. There is a list longer than the Mississippi explaining why College QBs coming out these spread college systems are by far the hardest evaluation. Things Lynch never did in college like drops, going through NFL progressions, making audibles, changing protections are main aspects of what he will do in the NFL. Doing it shorts and a T shirt is one thing. Doing it with JJ Watt and his buddies bearing down on you at full speed is another beast. How can you project how he will do these things in the NFL under pressure when he was never asked to do some of the most difficult task associated with his position. These are not skills you can learn overnight.

IMO NFL decision makers are a very risk averse bunch and you cant really blame them since the margin of error is so small. Last year fans and media draftnicks thought Hundley and Bryce Petty were high upside prospects with alot of tools and predicted they would be drafted on day 2, but both lasted until day 3, while more polished prospects like Greyson and Mannion went ahead of them. When you consider the facts that the Rams do not have an established vet to keep a developing guy on the bench, play under center more than anyone, 5 to 7 step drop play action passes are a staple in their passing game, and Snisher's job security is tenuous at best; Can they really afford to spend a first round pick on a guy that needs alot of development?

The important part of the NFL evaluation that helps these sort of projections like character, passion for the game, and football acumen happen behind closed doors and fans have no clue. Maybe the Rams interview Lynch and determine Lynch loves football and he is super smart and able to pick up NFL concepts quickly, and maybe its the complete opposite, but we will never know.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd take Lynch at 15.....I'd wait til the mid 2nd for Cook. and even later for some others....we need a QB on the roster...no, not the 3 we have.