Five Things to Watch: Green Bay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Nate Horgan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Five-Things-to-Watch-Green-Bay/d8695fa2-afa0-49ac-8e1f-98eefcdae261" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... eefcdae261</a>

Mcdonald_420_081513.jpg

1. How Do the Rookie Defensive Starters Improve?
Rookies S T.J. McDonald and LB Alec Ogletree got their first look at the NFL in last week’s preseason opener against the Browns. After Cleveland efficiently spread the ball around through the air early, it will be interesting to see how McDonald and Ogletree improve after that experience and what adjustments are made as they head into week two facing QB Aaron Rodgers.

2. Running Back Battles
Daryl Richardson will look to keep his production high to solidify the No. 1 spot in the rotation after he notched 24 yards on the ground on four rushes last week. Isaiah Pead had a key fumble last week, but the Rams reinforced their trust in him and fed him the ball on the next series. Look for him to get off to a better start against the Packers on Saturday.

Zac Stacy rushed for 23 yards on seven carries in Cleveland, but was limited in two practices over the past week. After returning to full activity in Tuesday’s practice, Stacy will look to continue his productivity. When Stacy was held out of two practices after the first preseason game, Benny Cunningham saw his reps increase in practice. We’ll see if those additional reps will translate into more reps in the second preseason game.

The Packers also have running back battle of their own, as DuJuan Harris, Eddie Lacy, and Jonathan Franklin compete for the starting spot.

3. Improving the Pass Defense
Green Bay’s Rodgers is still regarded as one of the league’s most prolific passers even though the Packers receiving corps has diminished with free agency and offseason surgeries. After Browns QB Brandon Weeden completed 10 -of-13 passes, the Rams’ defense will look to improve their play from last week and test its pass defense against an elite quarterback.

4. Activity in the Receiving Corps
The combination of Austin Pettis, Tavon Austin, and TE Jared Cook accounted for zero catches and few targets in last week’s game in Cleveland. While playing time and playbook complexity is limited throughout the preseason, it will be interesting to see if the targets and production from Pettis, Austin, and Cook will increase.

Chris Givens garnered the most targets last Thursday, as he hauled in three receptions for 82 yards and a touchdown over the course of the Rams’ first three drives. Givens has proven that he has big-play potential, but look for him to be more involved in short and intermediate routes as he continues to develop his game as an all-around receiver.

Stedman Bailey and Brian Quick both brought in two catches for 27 yards, while Raymond Radway caught three balls for 78 yards and a touchdown late in the game. Watch to see how the roles of these young receivers continue to progress as the preseason goes on.

5. ‘The Leg’
K Greg Zuerlein put both of his attempts through the uprights last week, as he made 54-yard and 55-yard field goals against the Browns. Zuerlein started the 2012 season hot, but struggled as the season came to a close. After a rested offseason, he plans to improve his consistency moving into his second year.

“We gave him a lot of time off after the season to kind of freshen himself up, got back in the weight room,” Special Teams Coordinator John Fassell said. “His strength has improved, so his ability and success later in the season should improve.”

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
If the rams are going to improve on their pass D they're going to have to stop playing 10 yards off the WR. What kind of practice is our DBs getting when they do that? Tackling? Chasing down WRs to limit their YAC?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
If the rams are going to improve on their pass D they're going to have to stop playing 10 yards off the WR. What kind of practice is our DBs getting when they do that? Tackling? Chasing down WRs to limit their YAC?
I would *hope* that Fisher realizes that.
What do you think would be the reason for Fisher playing his defense in soft zone coverage in preseason game 1?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X asked the million dollar question:
albefree69 said:
What do you think would be the reason for Fisher playing his defense in soft zone coverage in preseason game 1?

I've been wracking my brains trying to figure that out. You'd think they would want to practice keeping the other WRs from getting off the line cleanly. I mean what's the downside? The Browns take one to the house in a meaningless game? Do you have any ideas?

They did this same stuff last year and it worked just as well.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
albefree69 said:
albefree69 said:

I've been wracking my brains trying to figure that out. You'd think they would want to practice keeping the other WRs from getting off the line cleanly. I mean what's the downside? The Browns take one to the house in a meaningless game? Do you have any ideas?

After the Rams were eaten by the patsies last season i would have to think Da Fish is going to see how his D stacks up against another O powerhouse.

Bet we see a 180 on D this week

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
albefree69 said:

Well, my theory is that it serves no purpose to play press coverage if you're not gonna pin your ears back or blitz on the play. WHY they played zone coverage I have no idea. If it was strictly for evaluation purposes, then I guess it would make sense to see how the LBs and safeties (new guys) handle that kind of coverage. We already know that Jenkins, Finnegan and Trumaine can jam at the line.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X with a possibility:
Well, my theory is that it serves no purpose to play press coverage if you're not gonna pin your ears back or blitz on the play. WHY they played zone coverage I have no idea. If it was strictly for evaluation purposes, then I guess it would make sense to see how the LBs and safeties (new guys) handle that kind of coverage. We already know that Jenkins, Finnegan and Trumaine can jam at the line.

Sounds reasonable but why play so far back? The LBs and Safeties aren't going to show anything except their tackling skills with that big a cushion.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
X with a possibility:

Sounds reasonable but why play so far back? The LBs and Safeties aren't going to show anything except their tackling skills with that big a cushion.
Tackle AND coverage skills.

Again, it's just a theory.