Five Takeaways: Rams at Vikings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Five Takeaways: Preseason at Vikings

By Myles Simmons

[www.therams.com]

MINNEAPOLIS — With the Rams’ 27-25 loss to the Vikings, the 2016 preseason is now complete.

Like it is with all preseason games, the final score doesn’t quite tell the whole story. With that in mind, here are five takeaways from the contest.

1) Good start, not-so-good finish

Quarterback Jared Goff started his first game of the preseason and things went well for his opening drive. The rookie out of Cal completed three of his four passes, including converting both third downs the Rams faced. On the first — a 3rd-and-2 play — Goff recognized the rush and got off a quick pass to running back Chase Reynolds in the flat that ended up going for 22 yards. Then on 3rd-and-goal from the one-yard line, Goff hit wideout Kenny Britt with a back-shoulder pass on the right side of the end zone to cap the drive with a touchdown.

But from there, the quarterback struggled to find a rhythm, including a particularly rough stretch inside two minutes in the second quarter. On 3rd-and-7 from the Los Angeles 12-yard line, Goff dropped a shotgun snap that went right to his hands. The Vikings would recover on the L.A. eight, but managed only a field goal with some solid defensive play.

On his next play from scrimmage, Goff would throw an interception to diving defensive lineman Toby Johnson off a pass tipped at the line. This time, Minnesota would capitalize on the turnover with a touchdown.

Playing the entire first half, Goff finished 6-of-16 passing for 67 yards with a touchdown, an interception, and a fumble. His preseason ends 22-of-49 passing for 232 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions.

2) Vikings, meet Morgan Fox

Defensive tackle Morgan Fox may have been a relative unknown heading into the fourth preseason game. But you can be sure Vikings quarterbacks Joel Stave and Brad Sorensen will remember his name going forward.

The undrafted rookie out of Colorado State-Pueblo dominated the Vikings’ offensive line in the first half, racking up three tackles — two for loss — 2.0 sacks, and four quarterback hits.

His first outstanding play came when he sacked Minnesota quarterback Joel Stave. Fox beat the right guard with a swim move, bringing down the QB in another step or two. Fox had another run stuff midway through the second quarter when he beat the center off the line knocked down running back Jhurell Pressley for no gain. Later, Fox burst through the interior of the line to sack the second quarterback up, Sorensen — on his first play, no less.

Who knows how much Fox may have helped his case to make the initial 53-man roster, but he certainly didn’t hurt it.

3) Rushing the passer

By and large the Rams got after the Vikings quarterbacks well on Thursday night. In the first half alone, Los Angeles tallied 3.0 sacks and nine quarterback hits.

Ethan Westbrooks was the other Angeleno to take down a quarterback in the first half, sacking Stave to begin the second quarter with an eight-yard loss on third down. Westbrooks registered two quarterback hits in the first half.

Defensive end Matt Longacre got in on the action in the fourth quarter, taking down Sorensen for a six-yard loss on third down. As did linebacker Josh Forrest, who registered a sack for a four-yard loss with just over four minutes remaining in the contest.

Linebacker Akeem Ayers, linebacker Brandon Chubb, and safety Christian Bryant also recorded quarterback hits in the contest.

4) Run stuffs and TFLs

Maurice Alexander missed some time in the preseason due to injury, but made his presence felt when he was on the field.

On 2nd-and-7 from the Minnesota 35, Alexander knifed his way through the offensive line to stop running back C.J. Ham for a one-yard loss. A few plays later, Alexander earned another run stuff up the middle by halting a play for just a one-yard gain.

Overall, the Rams had eight TFLs on the night — two from Fox, and one each from Alexander, Longacre, Forrest defensive tackle Cam Thomas, and a team TFL.

5) Extra points

— Los Angeles held many major contributors out of this game, including Todd Gurley, Case Keenum, Tim Barnes, Lance Kendricks, Tavon Austin, and Benny Cunningham. Defensively, the only two starters on the field were Alexander and linebacker Akeem Ayers.

— Right tackle Rob Havenstein played a few series on offense for his first preseason action after being taken off the physically unable to perform list last week.

— Minnesota returned a kick 106 yards for a touchdown midway through the third quarter, marking the second score surrendered on a Rams kickoff this preseason. That’s an unusual mark for special teams coordinator John Fassel’s unit. Los Angeles also muffed two punts that the Vikings recovered inside the red zone.

fearsomefour

Legend
My takeaways....
Thomas belongs on this team.
The Rams need depth at T in a bad way.
Havenstein needs to get healthy so Saffold can play at G.
As good as the Rams have been at developing guys inside (Barnes....Rhaney has improved, Kush, Wichmann, Brown) they have been pretty poor at developing depth at T. Two high round draft picks are starting and the main depth is a second rounder as well with not much behind him.
The Rams can honestly claim to be 10 deep on the D line if you count the rookies that have stood out.
Five takeaways all about line play? Hell yes.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
1. Goff is still very uncomfortable.
2. The Rams might have the best, deepest and most versatile group of RB's they've ever had.
3. Still don't know if Higbee is an upgrade at TE.
4. The Rams eat QB's even when the games don't count.
5. Saffold made it through preseason healthy which is a small victory.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
1. Goff is still very uncomfortable.

5. Saffold made it through preseason healthy which is a small victory.

Yes, from day one Goff has looked rushed and just not in command something that was a great strength of his in college. Mannion has made great strides in one year and I still expect Goff to be the starter by the 5th game or so.

Not only did Saffold make it through training camp & preseason, he's looked very strong (knock on wood) and really is the best backup tackle the Rams currently have as both Battle & Williams have disappointed, Williams much stronger last year maybe because it was a smaller body of work.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
*Who is reserve OLT? Starter OT/OG Saffold? Battle, Murphy,Williams ? None make the top 8 (that includes Kush:cautious:) OL'ers currently. We have a problem here LA:shocking:. I see rookie UDFA Murphy as outplaying the non rookies by a far margin.

*WR cadre mud got clearer:cool:, Britt/ Austin/ Cooper/ Spruce/ Marquez & Thomas with McRoberts going to PS.

*RB's hate to make this call were in excellent shape!(y)

*TE's Hemingway closed in fast on Higbee who fell off the last 3 preseason game big. I see no real improvement here. Hemingway runs like a smooth WR!

*DL could inject some serious talent, youth & speed into this highest paid unit but Fisher will not go in that direction.:(

*LB'ers covered in dry dust lake basin(n)....Chubb had a very good night though. Unit looks very weak behind the starters.

*CB's None of the new rookies worthy of playing in the NFL. None will make this team injuries to Troy Hill & EJ Gaines make me very uneasy with the rest Joyner, Roberson & Sensabaugh having a poor pre season.:unsure:

*Safety we will run 2016 with the same cadre from last season...Bryant is no ball-hawk :eek:with those hands of stone.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes, from day one Goff has looked rushed and just not in command something that was a great strength of his in college. Mannion has made great strides in one year and I still expect Goff to be the starter by the 5th game or so.

Not only did Saffold make it through training camp & preseason, he's looked very strong (knock on wood) and really is the best backup tackle the Rams currently have as both Battle & Williams have disappointed, Williams much stronger last year maybe because it was a smaller body of work.

Being real nice there on your Williams & Battle comments den? Both turned in a pre season performance that mount to :poop:. Outplayed by a rookie no named known most for being a kind & nice OL'er. Both Williams & Battle played & worked very hard to get themselves cut from this team. Leaving Boudreau back where he has been since 2013 with starter Saffold still this teams best reserve OLT. No progress has been made here.:mad:

Andrew Donnal who played an entire half @ OLG easily made the roster off the poor play of Battle & Williams, he will be the reserve ORT & join Reynolds as swing interior reserve.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
*Who is reserve OLT? Starter OT/OG Saffold? Battle, Murphy,Williams ? None make the top 8 (that includes Kush:cautious:) OL'ers currently. We have a problem here LA:shocking:. I see rookie UDFA Murphy as outplaying the non rookies by a far margin.

*WR cadre mud got clearer:cool:, Britt/ Austin/ Cooper/ Spruce/ Marquez & Thomas with McRoberts going to PS.

*RB's hate to make this call were in excellent shape!(y)

*TE's Hemingway closed in fast on Higbee who fell off the last 3 preseason game big. I see no real improvement here. Hemingway runs like a smooth WR!

*DL could inject some serious talent, youth & speed into this highest paid unit but Fisher will not go in that direction.:(

*LB'ers covered in dry dust lake basin(n)....Chubb had a very good night though. Unit looks very weak behind the starters.

*CB's None of the new rookies worthy of playing in the NFL. None will make this team injuries to Troy Hill & EJ Gaines make me very uneasy with the rest Joyner, Roberson & Sensabaugh having a poor pre season.:unsure:

*Safety we will run 2016 with the same cadre from last season...Bryant is no ball-hawk :eek:with those hands of stone.
Hey Boni,
The top O lineman in no order....Grob, Barnes, Havenstein, Saffold....then the cliff.
Kush is pretty clearly the 2nd C to me. Get some push in the run game, can get to the second level and doesn't get blown up when pass blocking. Brown is a big liability is the pass game but much better run blocking than last year. Wichmann has been ok in preseason, has not stood out to me. Rhaney has gotten pass blocking, still gets pushed around in the run game. Who is the depth inside? Arkin, Rhaney, Kush, Wichmann, Brown,Reynolds....I would go Kush at C/G Reynolnds at G/RT (would not be surprised I he is cut however), Wichmann, Brown.
I think Brown will end up starting by default. If he does get help pass blocking....
At T not much depth. Maybe Murphy can stick. At this point just looking for a guy who can stay in front of people. Battle is athletic but plays without bend and balance is so bad it barely matters.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hey Boni,
The top O lineman in no order....Grob, Barnes, Havenstein, Saffold....then the cliff.
Kush is pretty clearly the 2nd C to me. Get some push in the run game, can get to the second level and doesn't get blown up when pass blocking. Brown is a big liability is the pass game but much better run blocking than last year. Wichmann has been ok in preseason, has not stood out to me. Rhaney has gotten pass blocking, still gets pushed around in the run game. Who is the depth inside? Arkin, Rhaney, Kush, Wichmann, Brown,Reynolds....I would go Kush at C/G Reynolnds at G/RT (would not be surprised I he is cut however), Wichmann, Brown.
I think Brown will end up starting by default. If he does get help pass blocking....
At T not much depth. Maybe Murphy can stick. At this point just looking for a guy who can stay in front of people. Battle is athletic but plays without bend and balance is so bad it barely matters.
Good late morning fearsomefour

Your comment on Garrett Reynolds is understandable due to his cost & that he is really not a big need @ the moment. However the ongoing issues @ reserve OLT comes into play with him. He proved useful last season in helping with OLT issue when starting @ OLG. Plus he is a veteran reserve ORT where injuries have plagued both RT Havenstein & RT Donnal in their very young NFL careers.

This is my starting OL if all are healthy & ready:
RT-Havenstein
RG-Saffold
OC-Barnes
LG-Wichmann
LT-Robinson

53 roster Reserve OL lineup:
RT-Donnal/Reynolds
RG-Brown/Donnal/Reynolds
OC-Kush
LG-Reynolds/Donnal/Kush
LT-VACANT?

Practice Squad OL :

LT-Pace Murphy
Swing OT-Isaiah Battle

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Outplayed by a rookie no named known most for being a kind & nice OL'er.

Pace Murphy!

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/11/making-the-cut-offensive-tackle-pace-murphy/

In the clip above, Murphy does show some impressive strengths, but some noticeable weakness also stands out. Murphy handles the run well, however any type of bull rush or outside rusher seems to be able to consistently beat the 300-pound tackle.

Murphy may be a great football player, but the depth of the Rams offensive line may be another problem. Greg Robinson and Rob Havenstein are an easy lock for the starting spots. Darrell Williams and Andrew Donnal also have the ability to play both tackle and guard, making Murphy likely one of the odd men out.

Chances of Making Final Roster: 1/10
The Rams currently have six players who have the ability to play the tackle spot. For Murphy to land on the final roster, he will have to make a serious impact and be a player who’s tough to forget about. With the video clip above as an example, Murphy may need to start by being more aggressive.

That’s exactly what Fisher is looking for in his offensive lineman. It’s a long shot, but anything is possible, right?

fearsomefour

Legend
Good late morning fearsomefour

Your comment on Garrett Reynolds is understandable due to his cost & that he is really not a big need @ the moment. However the ongoing issues @ reserve OLT comes into play with him. He proved useful last season in helping with OLT issue when starting @ OLG. Plus he is a veteran reserve ORT where injuries have plagued both RT Havenstein & RT Donnal in their very young NFL careers.

This is my starting OL if all are healthy & ready:
RT-Havenstein
RG-Saffold
OC-Barnes
LG-Wichmann
LT-Robinson

53 roster Reserve OL lineup:
RT-Donnal/Reynolds
RG-Brown/Donnal/Reynolds
OC-Kush
LG-Reynolds/Donnal/Kush
LT-VACANT?

Practice Squad OL :

LT-Pace Murphy
Swing OT-Isaiah Battle
I agree with the starting line. Wichmann and Brown are interchangeable to me at this point as both have weaknesses.
Ranking regardless of position.....Barnes, Saffold, Robinson, Havenstein, Reynolds, Brown, Wichmann, Kush....
I want Reynolds to stick because of his experience and versatility.
Played a lot late in preseason games however. May not mean much with as the team knows what he does, may have wanted looks with younger guys vs starters.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Pace Murphy!

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/11/making-the-cut-offensive-tackle-pace-murphy/

In the clip above, Murphy does show some impressive strengths, but some noticeable weakness also stands out. Murphy handles the run well, however any type of bull rush or outside rusher seems to be able to consistently beat the 300-pound tackle.

Murphy may be a great football player, but the depth of the Rams offensive line may be another problem. Greg Robinson and Rob Havenstein are an easy lock for the starting spots. Darrell Williams and Andrew Donnal also have the ability to play both tackle and guard, making Murphy likely one of the odd men out.

Chances of Making Final Roster: 1/10
The Rams currently have six players who have the ability to play the tackle spot. For Murphy to land on the final roster, he will have to make a serious impact and be a player who’s tough to forget about. With the video clip above as an example, Murphy may need to start by being more aggressive.

That’s exactly what Fisher is looking for in his offensive lineman. It’s a long shot, but anything is possible, right?
This statement erks me "Rams currently have six players who have the ability to play the tackle spot" .
Which OT post? I see 3 who can play OLT & 4 who can play ORT. Murphy would be included in our 3rd OLT I speaketh of.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This statement erks me "Rams currently have six players who have the ability to play the tackle spot" .

1. Robinson
  2. Havenstein
  3. Saffold
  4. Donnal
  5. Williams
  6. Battle
Add in Reynolds who has played tackle, however, Rams only have four that can play LT in GROB, Saffold, Williams & Battle. Now if you cut both of them, if Saffold goes down, who can step in for Robinson? Too bad expected Battle to step forward this year and did not expect Williams to decline.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
  1. Robinson
  2. Havenstein
  3. Saffold
  4. Donnal
  5. Williams
  6. Battle
Add in Reynolds who has played tackle, however, Rams only have four that can play LT in GROB, Saffold, Williams & Battle. Now if you cut both of them, if Saffold goes down, who can step in for Robinson? Too bad expected Battle to step forward this year and did not expect Williams to decline.
Pace Murphy over williams/battle. By a mile

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  1. Robinson
  2. Havenstein
  3. Saffold
  4. Donnal
  5. Williams
  6. Battle

From what I watched in pre season Darrell Williams might can play OLT by some peoples assumptions but he does very poorly. Isaiah Battle could just do a rewind like last season & join the WWC's again. And just like last season Battle could be signed as a swing OT prospect forward going on our Practice Squad. The same can be said about Williams. Fact is both could be placed on the PS without much fear that we will loose them at all. That way when Saffold goes down Boudreau has the option of either Battle or Williams. So retaining these two is not a concern its when we ask them to perform in a NFL game where the real concerns enter the picture. I see no reason to give either of them a 53 player roster spot. Neither have earned a thing this 2016 season.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
— Minnesota returned a kick 106 yards for a touchdown midway through the third quarter, marking the second score surrendered on a Rams kickoff this preseason. That’s an unusual mark for special teams coordinator John Fassel’s unit. Los Angeles also muffed two punts that the Vikings recovered inside the red zone.
" this^ is when I started feeling Ill!!":seizure: