Five Rookies Who Could Make an Impact from Day 1 in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Anthony Stalter
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/05/05/five-rookies-who-could-make-an-impact-from-day-1-in-the-nfl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/05/05/fiv ... n-the-nfl/</a>

Making an impact at a new job is as much about opportunities as it is talent, hard work and dedication. Based on talent, skill set and yes, opportunity, here are five rookies who could make an impact from Day 1 in the NFL.

Tavon Austin, WR, Rams
One year after the Jaguars leapfrogged them for the opportunity to snag Justin Blackmon, the Rams foiled the Jets’ plan to select West Virginia spark plug Tavon Austin in the first round of the 2013 draft by trading up to No. 8 (one spot ahead of New York). Jeff Fisher doesn’t strike me as someone who would go to great lengths to acquire a player if he didn’t plan to use him right away. Much like Percy Harvin and Randall Cobb, the Rams figure to use Austin as a moveable chess piece in Brian Schottenheimer’s offense. Whether it’s in the slot, the backfield or as a returner, Austin will be heavily utilized this season. And thanks to the different skill sets that guys like Austin, Jared Cook and Chris Givens bring to the table, opponents may have a difficult time matching personal with the Rams’ playmakers this season.

DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Texans
Last year it was telling how badly the Texans needed another offensive playmaker, not only in their divisional-round loss to the Patriots, but four weeks prior when they were beaten badly at home by the Vikings in Week 16. Andre Johnson caught seven passes for 97 yards but failed to rip the top off the defense with one big play, and Minnesota did a great job limiting tight end Owen Daniels to just three catches for 27 yards. While DeVier Posey was targeted six times, he caught just one pass for a miniscule six yards and Matt Schaub was held to under 180 yards passing for only the second time all season. (He was also held to 95 yards against the Bears in Week 10 due to sloppy conditions.) Enter DeAndre Hopkins, Houston’s first-round pick in 2013. Hopkins has drawn comparisons to Roddy White and Rod Smith for his route-running ability and ball skills. He doesn’t have elite speed, but that won’t limit him from creating separation, thanks in large part to his excellent technique. A projected starter from Day 1, he should flourish playing opposite Johnson in Gary Kubiak’s offense. (One could also surmise that he’ll post better production than fellow rookie receivers Robert Woods, Justin Hunter and Cordarrelle Patterson based on projected quarterback play alone.)

Le’Veon Bell, RB, Steelers
Bell has already drawn praise from offensive coordinator Todd Haley for his ability to be a three-down back and “workhorse” runner, and he figures to play a large role in the Steelers’ revamped running game because of his pass-catching ability. (He caught 67 passes for 434 yards with one touchdown at Michigan State.) He’s also durable and versatile in that he’s not only a north-south runner, but he has the ability to attack the edge as well. Largely mistaken as a “bruiser” entering the 2013 draft, there’s fluidity to Bell’s game. With no elite competition in Pittsburgh’s backfield, he has an opportunity to post instant production as a rookie.

Barkevious Mingo, DE, Browns
Last year, Les Miles and his coaching staff at LSU asked Mingo to play contain more than he did the season before (when he racked up eight sacks and 15 tackles for loss). The new role crippled his production, as his sack number dropped to 4.5 and his tackles for loss fell to 8.5. At 237 pounds, it’s unlikely that Mingo will hold up against the run, but the Browns figure to use him like the Seahawks utilized 2012 first-rounder Bruce Irvin last year: as a pass-rushing maven. Mingo is an athletic marvel and, if Cleveland turns him loose as a rookie, don’t rule out a six- or seven-sack season. (Irvin finished with eight sacks last year after pundits ripped Seattle for taking him in the first round.) Unless he adds weight, Mingo will struggle when opponents run straight at him. But as a DPR, he should turn heads as a rookie.

Matt Elam, S, Ravens
Elam projects as the starting safety opposite Michael Huff in Baltimore’s defense, much like Eric Reid figures to start as a rookie for the 49ers. But Elam has better ball skills and more playmaking ability than Reid, who looks stiff in coverage and isn’t always quick to break on passes. Elam’s short, but he hits like a MAC truck and has the versatility to be an interchangeable safety in Dean Pees’ scheme. Don’t rule out a 100-tackle season for the former Florida Gator, who also has the ball skills to snag a few interceptions as well.

Cliffs Notes:

+ Many of the offensive linemen taken in the first round also figure to make an immediate impact for their respective teams, but I left out players like Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel because it’s hard to quantify production for O-linemen.

+ I left off defensive linemen because it’s rare that they make huge impacts as rookies, although Bruce Irvin was the exception to the rule. One of the reasons for their limited production is because they quickly find out that the pass-rushing moves they used in college don’t work against NFL offensive linemen.

+ Some might wonder why I left Jarvis Jones off this list. The reason is simple: Dick LeBeau’s scheme is complicated to learn. It usually takes first-timers to the defense a half or even full season to pick up. Players have talked about being lost in their first year, but by season two they feel more comfortable. Thus, look for Jones to potentially make an impact in 2014 for the Steelers.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Re: Five Rookies Who Could Make an Impact from Day 1 in the

It seems like a lot of pressure is being put on Austin. Hope he's up for it.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

iBruce said:
It seems like a lot of pressure is being put on Austin. Hope he's up for it.

A lot of pressure AND expectancy...

I hope the Rams coaching team tell him the opposite, he's probably going to be used as a decoy to open up the host of other targets we have! I really can't remember when we had so many VIABLE options, the only guy I'm still not 100% about is Quick - I really need him to prove me wrong, or rather, prove something to me. I want him to live up to a R2 draft pick and earn his money...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Hopkins an impact? On hotel cleaning bills and coffee pot sales, maybe... :lmao: