Five rookies ready to pop in year 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/14755329/five-rookies-ready-pop-year-2-nfl

During his rookie season, Tennessee Titans wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham caught 32 passes for 549 yards and four touchdowns. That's decent production for a rookie, but the expected development and second-year jump for Green-Beckham should lead to a major boost in production in 2016.

For many rookies, the first year in the league is a total experiment. The speed of the game is lightning fast compared to college. The demands of the playbook are much greater, and these young cats come into camp straight off combine training. Their bodies are leaner, and they aren't in pure football shape to battle with veteran pros just yet. This is grown-man stuff now.

However, once these players get an entire offseason to train and the game begins to slow down mentally, we start to see real signs of their talent and development. Let's break down Green-Beckham and four other players who should be in position to make big strides as second-year pros.

Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Tennessee Titans
Beckham has beastly measurables when you break down his testing results from the 2015 combine. At 6-foot-5, 237 pounds, the wide receiver has the ideal frame to handle DBs at the line and the catch radius to go snag the rock. Speed? He ran the 40 in 4.49 seconds and even posted a sub-seven-second three-cone drill (6.89) to showcase some lateral movement and explosive quickness.

Remember the tape from Green-Beckham's days at Missouri? This guy made highlight catches, but he also ran a pretty limited route tree from a spread offense: the fade, curl, slant and dig. To compound the problem, Green-Beckham hadn't faced real game action in the SEC since 2013. Despite all that, he averaged averaged 17.2 yards per catch in 2015 -- 2.3 yards more than the second-best rookie (Amari Cooper) -- while working with rookie quarterback Marcus Mariota.

Yes, he's still raw in terms of route-running ability, and that showed up on his rookie tape. But given Green-Beckham's freakish skill set and the fact that Mariota will continue to develop in Year 2, the wide receiver could be a true matchup weapon for the Titans in 2016. He has the size to post up defensive backs in the red zone and the long speed to challenge secondaries over the top. Throw him the ball.

Jeremy Langford, RB, Chicago Bears
Matt Forte expected to hit the free-agent market, Langford could be Chicago's No. 1 back next season. At 6-feet, 208 pounds, Langford has some downhill power. He hits the hole with a burst, and he has the game-breaking ability to make plays with his 4.42 speed once he gets into the open field. Plus, he runs hard. The young man is tough.

Langford rushed for 537 yards and six touchdowns as a rookie, and he caught 22 passes for 279 yards and another score. Although the Bears will want to see his 3.6 yards per carry climb in his second season, the fourth-round pick out of Michigan State gives Chicago some versatility at the position because of his ability to hold his ground in pass protection. That's key for any young running back with receiving skills who wants to stay on the field on third down. You better keep your quarterback off the ground.

Even with Adam Gase leaving for Miami, I expect the Bears to have some carryover in the offensive game plan, with more run-pass options (packaged plays) and shotgun runs. That's where will we see Langford's ability to find daylight and push the ball through the hole with zone blocking up front.

Vic Beasley Jr., DE, Atlanta Falcons
Beasley's combine performance the past February was absolutely ridiculous. At 6-foot-3, 246 pounds, the former Clemson star ran a 4.53 40-yard dash, posted a vertical jump of 41 inches and recorded a time of 6.91 in the three-cone drill. Those are numbers we would expect from a defensive back -- not a 240-plus-pound edge rusher. Oh, and he threw some weight around at the combine, with 35 reps on the bench test.

Even with all the buzz Beasley generated, questions lingered. Would his athleticism translate to the field on Sundays? Could he develop the counter moves necessary to get to the quarterback?

Beasley recorded only four sacks in 2015, which is low for a top-10 pick. But I caution against looking only at box scores to analyze his production: Beasley progressively improved over the course of the season, based on the tape I watched. That's a sign of development at a position in which rookies often struggle. It's hard to consistently win on the edge in the NFL. Speed, or burst, is one thing -- you need that. But can you set up offensive tackles, use multiple moves at the point of attack, win with your hands and create a positive angle to put a hit on the quarterback? This stuff takes time (and reps) to truly see results.

With that one year of experience, tape to self-scout in the offseason and a better feel for the pro game, Beasley will be in position to produce more and become a disruptive edge rusher in Dan Quinn's scheme. Although he needs to improve against the run game (another transition for college players), his development is something to watch in 2016. All that speed and power? A lot of talent here.

Quinten Rollins, CB, Green Bay Packers
Damarious Randall, the Packers have two very talented defensive backs entering their second pro seasons, but I'm going with the former Miami (Ohio) basketball player because he is just starting to develop, and his ceiling is extremely high. Rollins played only one season of college football after running the point on the court in Oxford, but he still showcases the footwork, closing speed and physicality to play at a variety of positions in the Green Bay secondary.

Rollins doesn't have great top-end speed (4.57 40 at the combine), but his overall athleticism and body control are key here. At 5-foot-11, 195 pounds, Rollins has the frame to play press and the ball skills to finish down the field. He will continue to develop his overall technique and tackling, and when he does, Rollins will take off. The overall ability and the talent are already there.

From a coaching perspective, Rollins has that Swiss-army knife skill set. Yes, he is a cornerback, but think of Rollins inside over the slot, playing as a dime back or even rotating to the middle of the field as a safety. Once players begin to develop and find a comfort level in the pros, coaching staffs are more willing to utilize them in a variety of ways. That's where Rollins can get in Year 2.

Clive Walford, TE, Oakland Raiders
Walford's rookie numbers aren't going to jump off the page (28 receptions, 329 yards, three touchdowns), and his combine results last year were average (4.79 speed). But on tape, he flashes the ability to work the seam and fit in the Raiders' offensive scheme. He's a moveable piece in Bill Musgrave's system, a tight end who can align in multiple spots to create some matchup issues for the defense. What's more, in Derek Carr, he works with a quarterback who can flat-out sling the rock.

At 6-foot-4, 251 pounds, Walford has the size to box out safeties in coverage, work the middle of the field and produce in the red zone. Plus, with Musgrave's offense -- which will operate out of the spread -- Walford should be a weapon on run-pass options. That's where the seam comes back into play, given his ability to adjust to the ball.

The Raiders and Carr already have a young star at the wide receiver position, with Amari Cooper. He's legit. Now imagine this offense with Walford taking the next step and becoming a very productive tight end. That's the security blanket for Carr right there, the third-down option and the guy who can win one-on-one when Oakland pushes the ball down into the deep red zone. That's money.

Five honorable mentions
Kevin Johnson, CB, Houston Texans: Smooth and athletic, Johnson was a first-round pick out of Wake Forest, but he is still an underrated player. Watch his footwork, pedal and transition speed. He can play.

Brandon Scherff, G, Washington Redskins: The former Iowa Hawkeye is a mauler in the run game, with the athletic ability to work up to the second-level at 6-foot-5, 319 pounds. He's still developing as a pass-blocker, but he showed progress in 2015.

Frank Clark, DE, Seattle Seahawks: With a similar skill set to that of teammate Cliff Avril, Clark explodes off the ball with the speed and athleticism to win on the edge. Just wait until he develops more technique and experience. He is a true edge rusher.

DeVante Parker, WR, Miami Dolphins: Parker has the freakish talent, the 6-foot-3 frame and the 4.45 speed to light up opposing secondaries. As a rookie, the Louisville product averaged 19.0 yards per catch. There is a lot of big-play ability there. He will thrive in Adam Gase's system.

Jaquiski Tartt, SS, San Francisco 49ers: Tartt has to develop in coverage at the safety position, but he is a thumper versus the run game. An ideal dime safety? That is possible, given his size (6-foot-1, 221 pounds) and physicality.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Let me add to the list.

Jamon Brown - very athletic, good power. A year in OTA's with a a strength program will do him wonders.

Cody Wichmann - steadily improved, and in the strength department, will make leaps and bounds, if he ends up beating out Darell Williams, who has a shot if they move him to guard.

Rob Havenstein - not nearly topped out, and allowed zero sacks.

Matt Longacre - great feeling about him since day one, and he didn't disappoint. Always said, and felt that he would be a good fit for the LDE spot.

Todd Gurley - not even close to topping out, but obviously a well known player already. He will go from star to megastar.

Interested in seeing if Bradley Marquez continues developing. He's already a great special teams core player, and he seemed like the only outside WR who could get separation. He will at least continue to improve on teams, and he's really good already.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let me add to the list.

Jamon Brown - very athletic, good power. A year in OTA's with a a strength program will do him wonders.

Cody Wichmann - steadily improved, and in the strength department, will make leaps and bounds, if he ends up beating out Darell Williams, who has a shot if they move him to guard.

Matt Longacre - great feeling about him since day one, and he didn't disappoint. Always said, and felt that he would be a good fit for the LDE spot.

Todd Gurley - not even close to topping out, but obviously a well known player already. He will go from star to megastar.

Homer...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Let me add to the list.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh....

I actually don't mind the fact that none of the Rams are listed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
On the original list I really liked Langford. Against Ohio State I saw him hit the hole and both Roby and Shazier had him headed for a crushing sandwich but with his speed he blew past them both. They are very fast defenders. Langford really opened my eyes in that game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
DGB is gonna be a monster....No reason the Rams didn't look at him....

And like the good doctor says, I like our 2nd year guys just fine....

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
No reason the Rams didn't look at him....

We didn't have a shot at him. He was gone before our second round pick. And he wasn't better then our first round pick. So we just traded back for Havenstein. Would have been nice though. I really wanted him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I know this isn't popular, but I worry about Gurley getting something going other than the big plays..A lot was surely the blocking, but he got stuffed an awful lot...

So did Barry Sanders... I have faith that as our OL improves, the stuffs will decrease. As well, as the passing game improves, the stuffs will decrease.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I know this isn't popular, but I worry about Gurley getting something going other than the big plays..A lot was surely the blocking, but he got stuffed an awful lot...

As a UGA student who has seen every Gurley run from college and pro, don't worry about those stuffs. Most running backs would've been stuffed a lot more than Todd was. There were certain games where he had absolutely nowhere to go and he still made plays, like against the Vikings. Gurley can turn a 2 yard loss into a 3 yard gain. Put a decent line in front of him and he's a lot more than just a big play threat I promise you.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As a UGA student who has seen every Gurley run from college and pro, don't worry about those stuffs. Most running backs would've been stuffed a lot more than Todd was. There were certain games where he had absolutely nowhere to go and he still made plays, like against the Vikings. Gurley can turn a 2 yard loss into a 3 yard gain. Put a decent line in front of him and he's a lot more than just a big play threat I promise you.
What impressed me and what no one hardly talks about, is his stretching ability on the goal line. I can remember one time during the season and also in the Pro Bowl, was him at the 5 or 6 yard line and it sems that he's stopped...then see him stretch almost impossibly long for the TD....One both plays, it seemed freakish!:yess:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Damn straight. Watching the other rbs it was clearly obvious that if Gurley wasn't there the Rams would have been lucky to get half his yards.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Let me add to the list.

Interested in seeing if Bradley Marquez continues developing. He's already a great special teams core player, and he seemed like the only outside WR who could get separation. He will at least continue to improve on teams, and he's really good already.
I would add DT Trinca-Pasat! I have a feelin'!!!!

jap

Legend

You have to bear in mind, like one of our posters (who's name tag I unfortunately forgot) pointed out a few months ago, that Todd was still recovering from that ACL injury. Consequently, certain type of cuts were probably avoided to prevent a relapse or re-injury. Also, other parts of his overall game was retarded as a result, like his receiving and his ability to throw the rock (!).

I expect all that to go away as he comes back in the best condition of his life next season. I like to refer to him as the Gurley Express! However, next season he may be a veritable runaway freight train!!!!