Five Rams non-draftees to be excited about at rookie mini-camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Five Rams non-draftees to be excited about at rookie mini-camp
227364_8e14fb25b57548a4bf46ba95a9464cc8~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...ftees-to-be-excited-about-at-rookie-mini-camp

Football just keeps getting closer and now the Rams have started their rookie mini-camp. They boast a big roster, but mainly full of players that are trying out. Here are five of the most exciting players that weren't drafted by the Rams that are either participating in mini-camp or trying out.

Chris Watt, C, Notre Dame (drafted in third round by Chargers in 2014)
227364_ff2872d6d3e94111aa678daf79ba2775~mv2.webp

This name should look familiar to you if you are a football fan. Chris Watt formerly of the Notre Dame was drafted in the third round of the 2014 NFL draft by the now-Los Angeles Chargers. He was supposed to be the center of the future for him, but injuries hindered his development and the Chargers eventually moved on.

The Rams are bringing in a player that is former third round pick that has the talent if everything comes together to be a possible starter at center for the Rams. This is just on a tryout basis keep in mind, he is not on the roster yet, but nonetheless probably one of the bigger names you will hear of on this roster.

Jon Toth, C, Kentucky
227364_228c28eb81b343e7a6154d07a7c6cb43~mv2.webp

This is a name that many Rams fans including me have been buzzing about. Jon Toth, while he may not be the most athletic or smoothest center in the world, he's definitely solid and reliable. I felt as though this type of player could have gone in the fifth round and he ended up falling out of the draft and going undrafted.

Toth has said to be injured and was waiting to sign a contract with a team. Now he comes to Los Angeles on a tryout basis and I think he is a real threat to make the 53 if he indeed's receives a contract.

William Likely, CB, Maryland
227364_b690ecf8dd604aec813b94bb79458349~mv2.webp

William Likely is just a total gamer. This is a guy that stands at 5-foot-7, but he played as hard and as tenacious as any cornerback in college football. Unfortunately, Likely went down with a torn ACL in October of 2016. His tape is electrifying in my humble opinion. If he was a 6-feet tall? Likely is a top three corner in this draft hands down. He has it all and has the hard-worker trait that Sean McVay is looking for.

The Rams are trying him out and if his knee is good to go like I believe it is and he says it is...there should be no question Likely makes the Rams 90-man roster and competes hard and heavy for a job. Likely should have by all accounts been drafted, he's much too talented and if he's healthy this could be a total gem of a player the Rams acquire.

Lenard Tillery, RB, Southern
227364_66547791efe94187b517fdd6cf9a2bbd~mv2.webp

This is more of a hidden gem, while the guys up top played in bigger settings. Tillery is coming from Southern and his conference foes know the talent he possesses. Tillery reminds me a lot of how Benny Cunningham was coming out of small school Middle Tennessee State. He's a quicker than fast type of back that shows the elusiveness and the vision to be an interesting rotational back.

We have no idea how the Rams new regime views Malcolm Brown and Aaron Green, but It's worth noting Tillery is the only one on this list that is officially signed to the Rams 90-man roster. I don't see him getting the ax anytime soon either.

Justice Liggins, WR, Stephen F. Austin
227364_a12c26c7374846f1900e5b1bf0aac61f~mv2.webp

Everyone seems to be either talking about the Flying Hawaiian Jeremy Tabuyo or Shakeir Ryan as sleepers, but I have my own sleeper. Justice Liggins from Stephen F. Austin has some crazy measurables and some crazy circus type of catches on film. Liggins is trying out with the Rams and I believe he could be in line for a contract if he shows out.

Liggins has ideal wide receiver size at 6-foot-1 and 206 pounds. He ran a 4.51 which is identical to fourth-round pick Josh Reynolds, 16 bench reps which is solid, a 10 foot and seven-inch broad jump, but the crazy thing he did at his pro day? Try a 39 inch vertical on for size. This is a player that deserves a chance and if he somehow does make it onto the 90-man roster anything is possible. If he can hang onto the ball and use that crazy vertical to perfection, he will be in business as a red zone target.

If you don't already know or need a refresher, here is the Rams official rookie mini-camp roster per Joe Curley of the Ventura County Star

Those are my five to watch out for. Who are yours? Let us know!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jon Toth....Jon Toth, I remember I was having fun with @OldSchool during his mock draft posting about Toth and Wyoming's Chase Roullier, who was drafted by the Redskins and of course we all know about how @LACHAMP46 feels about the Kentucky Wildcat, so, if the Rams don't offer Toth (pronounced Toeth BTW) there are going to be some on the forum including yours truly a tad upset.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Jon Toth....Jon Toth, I remember I was having fun with @OldSchool during his mock draft posting about Toth and Wyoming's Chase Roullier, who was drafted by the Redskins and of course we all know about how @LACHAMP46 feels about the Kentucky Wildcat, so, if the Rams don't offer Toth (pronounced Toeth BTW) there are going to be some on the forum including yours truly a tad upset.
Would love it if he sticks around! While Roullier was my favorite I did mock Toth to us at least once I think and he was my #2 preference at Center. :)

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Toth is a no-brainer. Rams would be making a mistake in passing on him

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Would love it if he sticks around! While Roullier was my favorite I did mock Toth to us at least once I think and he was my #2 preference at Center. :)
I hope he makes it

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Toth is a no-brainer. Rams would be making a mistake in passing on him
I have to believe that if they don't sign him, it would have to do with this mysterious "health" thing. And I won't have a problem with it if they make that decision. Don't want them to sign a guy and waste a roster space if all it is is just to sign him. We need contributor's. And if I guy can't contribute, then he is wasted time and space.... ala Barrett Jones. I'm confident this new staff will make the right calls for the right reasons.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I have to believe that if they don't sign him, it would have to do with this mysterious "health" thing. And I won't have a problem with it if they make that decision. Don't want them to sign a guy and waste a roster space if all it is is just to sign him. We need contributor's. And if I guy can't contribute, then he is wasted time and space.... ala Barrett Jones. I'm confident this new staff will make the right calls for the right reasons.
Sorry, I meant if he's healthy it's a no-brainer

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Sorry, I meant if he's healthy it's a no-brainer
It's really hard to get a grasp of this situation with him because of the fact that very little is known about what and when this "injury" occurred. I was thrilled to see him brought in .. .but then had to temper myself because of the whole of what is going down..... the uncertainty of what/when, why was he not drafted, why did he not stick in SF, why only a tryout basis with the Rams ... something tells me he is a bit more of a long shot than some might think. And I doubt it's anything to do with him as a "player". But something here is amiss ... or we wouldn't even be discussing this right now. I just don't know man. But i am glad to see they are at least "shaking the tree" on him.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
It's really hard to get a grasp of this situation with him because of the fact that very little is known about what and when this "injury" occurred. I was thrilled to see him brought in .. .but then had to temper myself because of the whole of what is going down..... the uncertainty of what/when, why was he not drafted, why did he not stick in SF, why only a tryout basis with the Rams ... something tells me he is a bit more of a long shot than some might think. And I doubt it's anything to do with him as a "player". But something here is amiss ... or we wouldn't even be discussing this right now. I just don't know man. But i am glad to see they are at least "shaking the tree" on him.
That's a good way to put it. Apparently, he was saying that SF never signed him and it was just a rumor. He refused to sign until he was healthy from what I read.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Correction per Justice Liggins: 42.5 inch vertical not 39 and he ran a 4.37 at the NFL regional combine, not a 4.51.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
That's a good way to put it. Apparently, he was saying that SF never signed him and it was just a rumor. He refused to sign until he was healthy from what I read.
Yeah ... i know ... but most of what we are hearing is coming form "3rd party sources". Still nothing concrete as to what is going on. Like I said, with a talent like him ... for the Rams to actually SIGN other guys and only invite him for a "tryout" ... I just have to believe there is more going on that what WE "know ... IMHO.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Yeah ... i know ... but most of what we are hearing is coming form "3rd party sources". Still nothing concrete as to what is going on. Like I said, with a talent like him ... for the Rams to actually SIGN other guys and only invite him for a "tryout" ... I just have to believe there is more going on that what WE "know ... IMHO.
Very likely. Was shocked how the 49ers cut KD Cannon almost instantly when camp started. Makes me wonder what is truly going on when stuff like that happens.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
One thing I just noticed ... I went through the video the Rams posted about the first rookie camp session.... and the only time I saw Toth (#65) was he was standing in the background watching .. no helmet. All other players had helmets on.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
One thing I just noticed ... I went through the video the Rams posted about the first rookie camp session.... and the only time I saw Toth (#65) was he was standing in the background watching .. no helmet. All other players had helmets on.
yikes

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I thing people are giving Toth to much credit.
If he's healthy, he still may not make the team.
HHe looks like a big project to me. Not someone that could start this year.
If he makes it great. If not, I hope it'sit's because we have someone better on the squad and not because of injuries.
It's really easy to get excited about prospects, in positions of need. I'm going to enjoy the oline battle and hope we have some solid play going into week one of the regular season. Whomever that may be.