Five Draft Scenarios (based on the 1A pick). 2 great scenarios, 3 not so good

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
If we draft Matthews or Robinson it makes a big difference (without trading down) to me.
I go through 5 different scenarios for the first four rounds: Clowney, Robinson,Matthews and Watkins and trading the 1A pick. IF we draft Clowney, who is awesome, it will cost serious quality at corner, OT or
Free safety. I don't want to sacrifice that....Check out down below.

I want Watkins badly, but the scenario that will play out if the Rams draft him looks pretty ugly
for the tackle, corner and maybe the safety position too. I wonder if it is worth it. What do you think?

I didn't cover surprise picks like DT Aaron Donald at 1B---which could happen...I just left it
as Corner and FS in rounds 2 & 3.

So, four (4) scenarios include no trade down for the 1A pick (but 1B pick is traded in most scenarios)
One (1) draft scenario includes trading both 1A and 1B picks...wow, talk about building a super bowl
contender in 2015! I am 49, but I feel 15 when it is Ram time. Hmmm, interesting phrase. Go Rams!

With Greg Robinson at #1A & no 1A trade down, [we can wait til next year to get a 'good guard']
1a Robinson
1b trade down get 3rd rounder: Best Best corner: Dennard is left ?
2 Best FS
3a Best WR or TE
3b Best QB
4 Best OLB
Summary:
to get a 3rd rounder and Dennard vs GIlbert (only) seems smart.
Greg will help us road grade the left side when Long gets back.
Of course, if we take Matthews here we are missing a roadgrading left guard, and
personally speaking, I don't think Matthews is sooo much better than Joe Barksdale in 2014.
With Robinson, we don't have to draft a guard this year, which means adding another weapon
at TE or WR to develop.

With Jake Matthews at #1 & no 1A trade down, [we need a 'good guard too']
1a Matthews
1b Trade down get 3rd rounder Best Best corner: Dennard is left ?
2 Best FS (unless Guard is:??)
3a Best OG (Trai Turner??)
3b Best WR-TE
4 Best QB
Summary:
I believe Jake Matthews will be too close to Jacob Bell in strength to put
him at guard....sorry he doesn't move guys off the ball in my opinion. So, he moves to
LT and RT, depending on Jake Long's health.

With Watkins at #1 & no 1A trade down, [we need a 'good guard too']
1a Watkins WR!
1b Best Tackle-will there be one? (Is Martin from ND a RT?)
2 Best Best corner: Dennard is left ?
3 Best FS
4 Best QB
Summary: Wow, no great tackle, no great corner, average safety, but we got
Watkins. This doesn't look so good for me---even though I want Watkins at 1A.
If they trade the 1B pick down to #20, they will not have a right tackle who
is guarenteed to start for them in even 2015. Maybe in this scenario it would
be best to flip the cornerback/O line pick. This scenario will cost us Bradford's
success (and health)

With Clowney at #1 & no 1A trade down, [we need a 'good guard too']
1a Clowney
1b Best O Tackle (could we trade down,and still get Martin)
2 Best Best corner: Dennard is left ?
3a Best Free safety
3b Best WR (if no WR in1st)
4 Best QB
Summary: No guard, much worse corner, worse safety, and the O tackle may
not be a great pass blocker--ever. I HATE THIS SCENARIO. Clowney is great, but...
it is a team game.

With 1A and 1B tradedown, [this looks good for 2015-2016 super bowl run]

1a trade down: Take Mattews/Robinson #6-8 (Get 2nd, 3rd rounder this year)
1b trade down get 3rd rounder, Best corner: Dennard is left ?
2 a Best OG (this guy may be road grader, and good pass blocker=pro bowl level)
2b Best FS Ward/ Buchanon
3a Best WR: Moncrief??---some great quality here!
3b Best QB: maybe a good QB is left here
3C Best TE: Fed from Iowa? Great blocker, tall target
4 Any developmenttal guy: OLB

Summary: the trade down builds this team with an incredible line, which most of us want. And,
we get a good corner, good safety and a pass catching TE who is great in line blocker...
We are really setting the table for a super bowl run....and we can draft a WR next year. Move
up and get one in 2015---we can move up, why? Because we will have so many quality starters that there will not be any holes to fill--except maybe at OLB/

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
You should find yourself a girlfriend Steve. Somebody to occupy your mind and your typing finger. :LOL:

Lots of good work here Steve but there are just to many options and variables for me to wrap my head around. So basically drafting anybody anywhere will work. I like it.;)