Fitz released by Titans. Anyone interested as a backup?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
My scenario doesn't require SB to suck or get injured, it merely provides a viable option if that happens. Think of it as life insurance. We all expect to live until we die of old age but that doesn't mean we don't plan for the worst does it.

You caught me as I was about to head for my couch to take a nap and I only read your first sentence. I'll address the rest of it, if necessary, after I get up.
No, it doesn't. A proven veteran FA provides a viable option. A 3rd round or later QB who's never taken a snap provides...? A hope? A possibility?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If they see a QB that has what they determine to have starting QB qualities at some point in the not too distant future, I think it is very good draft capital to use. We all hope that Sam is our QB of the present and future if he is playing well. But a good young back-up is not only good insurance, he can be a good investment in the future. In that sense I agree with Alan.

At the same time, I agree that it is the time to win. If there is a player there that can really help you fill an immediate need now, then take him instead.

The thing I come back to is that once you get to the third round, most players are looked at for future potential, and not so much as rookie starters. So at that point, why not make that be the QB position?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Always been a bit of a fan of Fitzy. I'd say bring him back but wont he want quite good money? He's proved himself as an ok starter in the league. He'd definitely be one of the better backup QB's in the league anyway.

Alan

Legend
moklerman making my point:
A 3rd round or later QB who's never taken a snap provides...? A hope? A possibility?
Exactly why we can't afford to lose a year of development time. Because that's exactly what we'd have with any pick we made in any round after we found we desperately needed one. One need only look at all the QBs taken in the first round who have failed to live up to their billing. It's a huge list and I wouldn't want most of them backing up SB.

nighttrain

Legend
Always been a bit of a fan of Fitzy. I'd say bring him back but wont he want quite good money? He's proved himself as an ok starter in the league. He'd definitely be one of the better backup QB's in the league anyway.
Fitz back and spend a 3rd on a development QB, could get lucky
train

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Hell of Mad Mike liked him that is decent for me to think he'd be decent at the very least as a back up. He did serviceable in Buffalo and Tenn to say the least. I'm always up for a Harvard grad! :) lol

RamsFan14

Starter
Fitz would be my choice as well, but I think money is an issue with signing him. Think that's what the Rams don't want to do, invest say 3 mill in a very good backup QB when they can spend say... Idk 1 mil on someone else?

Money sounds like the issue here, otherwise I think we would have signed Fitz by now.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It sucks that we have no clear idea how much money we have in the bank. :(
Send me your account info and I'll check for you.

Signed,

Crowned Prince Embactu Bingtoau - Uganda

moklerman

Warner-phile
Exactly why we can't afford to lose a year of development time. Because that's exactly what we'd have with any pick we made in any round after we found we desperately needed one. One need only look at all the QBs taken in the first round who have failed to live up to their billing. It's a huge list and I wouldn't want most of them backing up SB.
I really don't know what you think happens with a 3rd stringer/scout team QB. After one year of that, they aren't going to be much, if at all, more ahead of a QB drafted who gets a full training camp as the starter.

Alan

Legend
Well...I've heard some pretty wild stories about 3rd stringers but lets not get into that.