Fitz released by Titans. Anyone interested as a backup?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Since Clemens has signed with SD, could Fitz be a stop gap measure? I'm not really sure who is left out there, but having a backup QB with pro experience seems to be a need as far as I'm concerned.

Whoops.. Linkage...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-the-titans-part-ways-with-ryan-fitzpatrick/

As expected, the Titans part ways with Ryan Fitzpatrick
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 14, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
e0d6ee5a0d50efb795106e9061021497.jpeg
AP
The Titans made the move Friday that was anticipated when they signed quarterbackCharlie Whitehurst.

Actually, the one anticipated from the moment their last backup signed his last contract.

According to Jim Wyatt of the Tennesseean, the Titans have informed Ryan Fitzpatrickof his release.

Fitzpatrick had a $500,000 roster bonus and a $2.75 million base salary coming, and with Whitehurst on hand to hold the clipboard (and heal the infirm of Nashville), he was redundant.

Given the game of backup quarterback musical chairs going on, there are places for Fitzpatrick to land. He’s been acceptable at times, which frankly makes him better than some of the other guys getting work that way.

PhxRam

I thought he looked pretty decent at times when he was in Buffalo. Decent enough that he got that contract from Buffalo.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
He would make a valuable backup but he is also old (in his thirties if I'm not mistaken). To me it's smarter to take a 7th round guy we can mentor up. That's all Fitzpatrick is... a 7th round pick that was molded into a decent player.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have been a big supporter of Austin Davis, but seeing him last year in preseason has raised some concerns. The year before the cat was damn near fearless. Last year in preseason was a different story. The cat looked damn near shell shocked to me. I hope it was an abberation. That said, even if we draft a QB to groom under Sam's tutelage, we can't honestly expect the cat to step in if Sam should go down..

Just saying we need someone with some Pro experience, and if the price is right, let's get Fitz back to the STL. :cool:

PhxRam

He would make a valuable backup but he is also old (in his thirties if I'm not mistaken). To me it's smarter to take a 7th round guy we can mentor up. That's all Fitzpatrick is... a 7th round pick that was molded into a decent player.

31 is right in his prime. But honestly who is worried about age for a backup?

Sum1

Hall of Fame

Bringing on a veteran backup AND a rookie is the way to go IMO.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
31 is right in his prime. But honestly who is worried about age for a backup?

A young backup could take over for Bradford after he retires and have had all that time to learn the offense and develop his skills. Plus it would be cheaper.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Martz liked him. What kind of offense did he run in Buffalo? < insert joke here

PhxRam

A young backup could take over for Bradford after he retires and have had all that time to learn the offense and develop his skills. Plus it would be cheaper.

I see the angle you are looking at it from..

I was looking at it more as this for a few years. This allows the rook an opportunity to hold the clip board until he is ready.

Bradford
Fitz
Rookie

I dont think Fitz is going anywhere thinking he is competing for the starting gig.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He'll probably wane twice as much as Clemens, but yeah. I think that'd be real solid.

I'd still like to draft AJ McCaron if he's there in the later rounds.

RamsFan14

Starter
I agree 100% with PhxRam... With the said, how on earth can you say no to that beard of his?!?! I mean forreal, that beard is pretty legit... Love Fitzpatrick lol.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
After looking at his career stats, I didnt realize how many picks he threw.

screenshot_282.png
Ok before i analyze that chart...how do you copy and paste that in here without it becoming illegible?

PhxRam

He'll probably wane twice as much as Clemens, but yeah. I think that'd be real solid.

I'd still like to draft AJ McCaron if he's there in the later rounds.

That is another great thing about the rookie salary cap. You can afford to draft guys and give them a chance to learn the NFL life. Teams used to be almost forced to play a guy simply because of the amount of money they were paying them.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I did mention a stop gap measure above now. :cool: The 7th rounder you speak of to mentor would be a 3rd string QB now. What are you going to do if Sam goes down? If you're confident in Davis then that's cool. I am not that confident.