Fisher's Quote

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexRamFan

Rookie
At this weeks presser when Fisher was asked the great question by a reporter; "How frustrating is it to have a lack of running game", Fisher stated:

"So, we’ll get it fixed as I said last night and we’re going to have to, as we’ve already stated, kind of adjust our offensive philosophy to, I think, what’s probably better suited for us right now and that’s to hand it off and everything else spins off of that.”

I have read this quote over and over and the more I read it the more confused I get from just these few words. Im all in on Fisher and I believe if any coach can turn around this mess it can be him. But this quote just baffles me.

The main thing that confuses me along with words such as "kind of", "I think", and "probably" is that he states "what is better suited for us right now" is to hand it off.

Im no coach, but:

1. They have a running back by commitee that it appears they have no clear cut favorite.
2. They went out of their way to "protect" Bradford with spending money on a line that appears to be unable to block.
3. They moved up to get an explosive playmaker to "open it up" and they advertised to the fans this new explosive offense.
4. They invested heavily on a WR built TE who appears to be horrible at run blocking.

It would make more sense to me if he said "run the ball effectively" or somthing along those lines.

To me it almost sounds like he is confused as well or almost stunned. I would love to hear you guys take on this quote because I am often guilty of reading to much into little things.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
TexRamFan said:
Im no coach, but:

1. They have a running back by commitee that it appears they have no clear cut favorite.

And this is the part that really chapped my ass on Thursday night -- Daryl Richardson wasn't getting it done, yet they kept going back to him. Benny Cunningham had 4 carries, according to the stat sheet. Zac Stacey had ZERO carries. I would've liked to see Stacey get some of the workload; he was on the field for at least one pass play, but that's all I can recall of his involvement.

IMHO, the Rams would be better off starting the game with a more bruising back to pound it up the gut -- maybe not get the yards in chunks, but start wearing on the defense early and often. Then you put Richardson in as the quick, change-of-pace guy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
HeiseNBerg said:
TexRamFan said:
Im no coach, but:

And this is the part that really chapped my ass on Thursday night -- Daryl Richardson wasn't getting it done, yet they kept going back to him. Benny Cunningham had 4 carries, according to the stat sheet. Zac Stacey had ZERO carries. I would've liked to see Stacey get some of the workload; he was on the field for at least one pass play, but that's all I can recall of his involvement.

IMHO, the Rams would be better off starting the game with a more bruising back to pound it up the gut -- maybe not get the yards in chunks, but start wearing on the defense early and often. Then you put Richardson in as the quick, change-of-pace guy.

Not to mention; Zac Stacy is averaging 4.0 ypc.

Compared to:
Pead: 3.0
Richardson: 2.7
Cunningham: 2.2

Okay, Stacy has only 1 carry... but still it's for a whopping 4.0! :lmao:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Very confusing. Almost comes off like he has lost confidence in the passing game.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Not to mention that Fish said the reason Pead was in street clothes was because they wanted to use T Austin in the backfield.

Why wasn't he in the fucking backfield then ???

TexRamFan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Selassie I said:
Not to mention that Fish said the reason Pead was in street clothes was because they wanted to use T Austin in the backfield.

Why wasn't he in the freaking backfield then ???

Fisher said it was because they got behind. I mean it was 7-3. If you bail on your gameplan after falling behind by 4 then there are other problems that need to be considered.

I am losing faith quickly in what Fisher say's in pressers. We will fix it and cover ups for players makes me wonder when we can believe him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Selassie I said:

I'm not sure I blame him, but Fisher is definitely a "coach speak" kind of guy. He says stuff without really saying anything. You walk away from his post game comments with nothing. As a fan, I find that frustrating.

The other thing I can think of; Schotty lost sight of that element of the game plan. We certainly weren't down enough to deviate from that game plan until 3rd quarter. So if that was the plan; they whiffed on doing it.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
CGI_Ram said:
Selassie I said:

I'm not sure I blame him, but Fisher is definitely a "coach speak" kind of guy. He says stuff without really saying anything. You walk away from his post game comments with nothing. As a fan, I find that frustrating.

The other thing I can think of; Schotty lost sight of that element of the game plan. We certainly weren't down enough to deviate from that game plan until 3rd quarter. So if that was the plan; they whiffed on doing it.

Seems like they're Flying By The Seat Of Their Pants instead of trusting in their plan.

I heard Fish say it was because they fell behind as to the reason they didn't actually use Austin in the backfield. Which we all know is bullshit when you consider the scoring during the first half. I'm just saying that Austin was supposed to be part of the committee,,, and even he wasn't used.

bluecoconuts

Legend
To be fair it was 7-3 and then 14-3 really fast. We were driving down the field and then had the pick in the endzone on 3rd and 1. That being said, I thought we should have just used Stacy on the 3rd and 1, isn't that what he's good at?

But who knows, maybe that doesn't work and we're all sitting there wondering why we did an obvious run on 3rd and 1, instead of play action. But at least it would have been 7-6.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
We have a bunch of backs that if we were lucky could be groomed to be a decent back up maybe. It has taken 2 picks that could have been used elsewhere (D.R in the 7th not included) to strengthen the team to get them. The answer pick a blue chip and quit wasting picks in numbers we have to many holes to waste picks.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I truly believe that this coaching staff is shocked and quite frankly bewildered that this team can't run the ball.

V3

Hall of Fame
Mojo Ram said:
I truly believe that this coaching staff is shocked and quite frankly bewildered that this team can't run the ball.

If that's the case, it shows they are poor judges of talent and/or horrible at play calling.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
V3 said:
Mojo Ram said:

If that's the case, it shows they are poor judges of talent and/or horrible at play calling.
Yup cause you know they demand DRich to run Strait at the pile

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Rabid Ram said:
V3 said:
Mojo Ram said:

No, but they do watch him do it and then keep allowing him to do so.

That falls on them doesn't it?

V3

Hall of Fame
HometownBoy said:
Rabid Ram said:
V3 said:
Mojo Ram said:

No, but they do watch him do it and then keep allowing him to do so.

That falls on them doesn't it?

Exactly.

They also thought so highly of DRich and Pead that they thought they would be more than fine. Remember, they were saying RB was a position of strength on the team before the season started.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I believe that adjustments are coming. I think this coaching staff thought that our short passing game would break more yards than it has and free up the box for running.

Now that this hasn't worked, they will figure something out to get it going. All we need is 70-80 a game. Then we can get back to play action and actually have people respect it.

We also need to keep Tavon in motion. Into the backfield, out of the backfield, keep the defense guessing as to what he's going to do on a given play.

Also, Cook is shit in blocking. Move him to WR and get it over with. We could get so much more out of our TEs by using Harkey and Kendricks.

Ebonemalone

Rookie
TexRamFan said:
Selassie I said:

Fisher said it was because they got behind. I mean it was 7-3. If you bail on your gameplan after falling behind by 4 then there are other problems that need to be considered.

I am losing faith quickly in what Fisher say's in pressers. We will fix it and cover ups for players makes me wonder when we can believe him.

Pead was called out for the game from the beginning. he planned to not have him in.

I should know. It gave me a heart attack in fantasy football when it said he was out before kickoff...

…..

Legend
To me, with the bewildered look on his face and the strange things he's saying, Fisher has appeared to be as lost as a bastard on fathers day.

He has no clue where to go next.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
TexRamFan said:
"So, we’ll get it fixed as I said last night and we’re going to have to, as we’ve already stated, kind of adjust our offensive philosophy to, I think, what’s probably better suited for us right now and that’s to hand it off and everything else spins off of that.”
why is 'handing it off... better suited for us' right now? I'd like to see this point debated by competent nfl minds, cause I simply ain't buyin it.

RamzFanz

Damnit
bluecoconuts said:
To be fair it was 7-3 and then 14-3 really fast. We were driving down the field and then had the pick in the endzone on 3rd and 1. That being said, I thought we should have just used Stacy on the 3rd and 1, isn't that what he's good at?

But who knows, maybe that doesn't work and we're all sitting there wondering why we did an obvious run on 3rd and 1, instead of play action. But at least it would have been 7-6.

What I don't get is when it's 2nd and 1, they run most of the time. Then 3rd and 1 they throw downfield?!? It doesn't make any sense at all.

Why do most teams run on 3rd and 1? Because even when the other team knows it's coming, it works more often than other calls.