Fishers M.O. and why I'm not freaking out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
I agree the most realistic expectation is expect the offense to struggle coming together at first. Which feeds into the fans' panic on seeing a perceived lack of urgency from Fisher to have it come together in the preseason before the real games start. If Fisher's plan is to simply get to the point where the offense "doesn't suck so much that it prevents the defense to win", ok, but then let's see some progress in the elements that make that a winning strategy. Let's see the defense dominate. Let's see the special teams excel (*cough*). Let's see discipline and intelligent play and the little things that will give fans confidence that the Rams are going to win at the 13-10 close game strategy.

I mean, we did win a game 52-0 last year with Shaun Hill starting at QB, so you never know.

I think Williams' general idea of turning defense into turnovers into points can help aid the potential "13-10 strategy."

Ideally, we be excellent in all phases of the game, but in reality you're almost inevitably better off where your experience and your proven players are.

That being said, I feel like I understand more where this team's defense is at based on last year's regular season results than this year's preseason results. I don't understand where the offense is at all because they haven't played together in games that count. My suspicion is it'll take a little time. But you never know.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If the Rams play like garbage again for the whole time the starters are in on Saturday, will it be ok to at least start to panic a little?

I wouldn't characterize their play thus far as garbage the whole time. There have been many successful passes and runs.

But, yes, maybe not panic, but I for one will become much more concerned. If there's a time to strut a little, it's game 3 at home with a week's rest, although Fish has been known to wait for game 4.

My number 1 concern at this point is Foles checking down and doing so effectively. On that INT, he had a wide open Cook in the seam. It could have been a TD over a pick 6.

But doom and gloom while an O line gels in preseason? While Foles gets his feet under him? Not for me. Not yet.

Let's do a reality check:

Foles has had 12 pass attempts.

Mason rushed 5 times.

Britt 3 receptions, Austin 1 reception, Cook 1, and Quick 0.

We haven't even seen but about a half game of early preseason from them. The above are NOT the numbers we will see in real games and definitely not the actual plays we will see! Does anyone think Mason will rush 10 times a game?! They can't lose him. They aren't playing him.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
On the other hand Fisher has had the Rams out to slow starts every year.
Fact: In 2012, the Rams almost beat the Lions in Detroit, then beat the Redskins and RG3 at home. They lost to Chicago in Chicago, then beat Seattle at home, and Arizona on Thursday night. Now, is 3-2 a slow start?

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
My number 1 concern at this point is Foles checking down and doing so effectively. On that INT, he had a wide open Cook in the seam. It could have been a TD over a pick 6.

IMO, it kinda feels like the offense has been tipping their hand on screens. I don't know whether that's been a result of linemen disengaging their blocks too quickly, or Foles' sight lines, something the receiver is doing...not sure. But it definitely looked to me like the Titans knew what was happening.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Fact: In 2012, the Rams almost beat the Lions in Detroit, then beat the Redskins and RG3 at home. They lost to Chicago in Chicago, then beat Seattle at home, and Arizona on Thursday night. Now, is 3-2 a slow start?

If the Rams pull that off this season, against this starting schedule, we're going to the playoffs!

Personally, if the team progresses, I'm not getting concerned at 2-3, as long as Seattle is one of them. Dial up Gurley full time game 6, Foles should have his feet under him, the line should be gelled, and make a run at it. Eat up wins in the soft spot of the schedule and head into Seattle and San Fran on a playoff run, ready to roll on all cylinders.

The hardest part of a slow start like 2-3 will be the doom and gloom for a month and a half. I really don't think we will know who this team is until week 6 and beyond.

RamzFanz

Damnit
IMO, it kinda feels like the offense has been tipping their hand on screens. I don't know whether that's been a result of linemen disengaging their blocks too quickly, or Foles' sight lines, something the receiver is doing...not sure. But it definitely looked to me like the Titans knew what was happening.

Maybe, but it's the exact same screen from the week before, no? I just don't think they've shown anything, especially for TA.

FRO

Legend
Amazing to me that supposedly intelligent fans can't look passed a win loss record when it comes to evaluating a coach or QB.

"But his teams always have slow starts!!" :rolleyes::confused::sleep:
Without looking at the record the Rams had horrible defensive starts to the 2013 and 2014 seasons. With the talent on that side of the ball that shouldn't happen. If it happens again this year I think it's totally fair to criticize how the team uses the preseason.

fancents86

Starter
It would be so much easier if we actually knew what Fishers philosophy was to pregames. If he is focusing on certain parts like pass rush, run block, slant schemes, etc...well I haven't seen anything good on either the defensive or offensive side of the ball. So that would make me slightly nervous. If he just says "just have fun, this is more for the 2nd and 3rd units" then I have no problem with that.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Maybe, but it's the exact same screen from the week before, no? I just don't think they've shown anything, especially for TA.

I'm still not sure what Austin's level of involvement looks like once Quick is in there either.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After reading three pages...
3vr50.gif

Ram65

Legend

Yes.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm still not sure what Austin's level of involvement looks like once Quick is in there either.

I don't either, but from TC and the staff lip service, I'm in the camp of a lot more and a lot different than in the past. When I saw them run the same screen, my first thought is they are setting some future team up for a deception.

A55VA6

Legend
My only concern is the first 5 games, regardless if this team is good or not. playing against Seattle, Washington, Pittsburgh, Arizona, Green Bay with a new QB, new OC, and an OL that doesn't look too promising. I just hope we don't start out bad.. and I hope the Rams are playing really basic stuff and just trying out some things in the preseason, because they look awful.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Thanks for the inspiring OP @badnews (y) but I find your screen name ironic in the context of what you wrote. :)

Talked to a friend of mine a few hours ago who lives in Michigan, not far from Detroit, but who is a Raiders fan. When discussing the Rams poor preseason so far, he reminded me that the Lions once went 4-0 in the preseason, and looked dominant doing it, and then lost every regular season game. The whole area was abuzz with talks of the playoffs and a possible Super Bowl berth until reality showed up to crash their party.

I expect a much better showing by the Rams in the third preseason game and then for the rookies to play most of the 4th game. If things continue as they have been in the third game, ie. sloppy tackling, stupid penalties, lack of offense, then fans have every right to be nervous about the regular season. I won't lose any sleep over it but it's understandable if others here do.

Venting threads and posts, as every member by now should know, is not only allowed here at ROD but expected when things go badly for our team. But when all certain members do is vent and then disappear during the good times, that raises suspicions as to their motive.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I get the lack of happiness with our pre-season - I mean, we're awful, really poor.

I also get the "don't panic its just the pre-season" camp - I mean it's not important just pre-season right?

I get the "it's Fisher, he doesn't care for the preseason" camp - I mean it's not important just pre-season right?

My take on it is simple, if Fisher doesn't want to win or is bothered with the preseason, why bother putting ANY starters out there, would you risk Saffold, Quick, Mason, Long, Foles etc? I wouldn't.

If he's just using it as an extended training ground then put the "B" team out - you know, the ones on the bubble, see how they fare, if they lose they lose, you don't lose your starter in the process to an injury (Bradford, Gaines etc) See which camp bodies bring it on game day, because if you're going all vanilla then you're not giving those guys an opportunity to win their place on the roster. It's just not fair to say, "right guys, lets go out there and just hold back..." I also don't believe we're that good a team that we have a "crap" switch that we can just flip on week one of "proper football" - I'm realistic, WE'RE NOT THAT GOOD!

I believe that winning, breeds winners, whether you put the somebody to the sword by 50+ points in preseason or during the season, it's all about winning.

The pre-season should be about us fine-tuning yes, but also be about being clinical, keep the damn playbook simple, but execute it effectively, it's not rocket science.

Learn to keep the penalties down, thats what the pre-season should be about. I love us hitting hard and being bad-ass, but that sucks when you're giving up 100+ yards in penalties and not winning games

We have the youngest (i think) side again this year, why not let them hit week one being 4-0, having scored TDs, having intercepted, having sacked having torn offences apart - give the guys confidence, not in just the win, but the execution of the win...

I'll shut up now!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll shut up now!
Finally!! :LOL::p;)

I think most everyone who that is "concerned" is saying the same thing.

Just want to see a team that executes well... not 100% or anything... but maybe 80% good execution?

Many are looking forward to to seeing just that this next game.

Unfortunately, I'll be on vacay, so - although I'll DVR it - I won't see it for a while.

I hope it's worth looking forward to!

Please Rams... :bow:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There's are basically three types of resident fans:
A) The Homer
B) The objective type
C) The bitter type

Bitter fan posts are difficult to read over and over and over and they can really drag a message board down in great numbers...they are locked into negativity because they believe that nothing is being done the way they believe it should be. I know about this. I was/am a bitter Phoenix Suns fan who posted on a board and saw NOTHING positive. Ever. Eventually i realized this and stopped posting. I still believe that every post i made there was absolute truth, but now that board is a better place without me in it.

/rant

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Finally!! :LOL::p;)

I think most everyone who that is "concerned" is saying the same thing.

Just want to see a team that executes well... not 100% or anything... but maybe 80% good execution?

Many are looking forward to to seeing just that this next game.

Unfortunately, I'll be on vacay, so - although I'll DVR it - I won't see it for a while.

I hope it's worth looking forward to!

Please Rams... :bow:

I'm not concerned, I'm just fed up tbh - execution would be good though

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
There's are basically three types of resident fans:
A) The Homer
B) The objective type
C) The bitter type

Bitter fan posts are difficult to read over and over and over and they can really drag a message board down in great numbers...they are locked into negativity because they believe that nothing is being done the way they believe it should be. I know about this. I was/am a bitter Phoenix Suns fan who posted on a board and saw NOTHING positive. Ever. Eventually i realized this and stopped posting. I still believe that every post i made there was absolute truth, but now that board is a better place without me in it.

/rant

I'll get my coat ....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Bitter fan posts are difficult to read over and over and over and they can really drag a message board down in great numbers...they are locked into negativity because they believe that nothing is being done the way they believe it should be.

The difference between a regular member and a mod is that a mod needs to read every post while a member can use the ignore function or just skip over certain member's posts. Maybe this is why we push the positive angle so much.

The day after a loss, especially a humiliating one, is the absolute worst. I am very much looking forward to a winning season because ROD will be a fun place to visit every day.