Fisher, the Offense, Keenum and Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"Fisher loves Keenum"
--Fisher hired Snead
--He has significant input on the draft
--The Rams gave up a lot for Goff
OK, this is pretty obvious. The Rams may have wanted to make a splash in LA but there are other ways to do that and if they didn't believe that getting a QB was necessary, especially if the HC was convinced he could win with Keenum, there is no way they risk that much.

"Fisher thinks our Offense is OK"
-2 Offensive Coordinators fired
-Hired Groh to revamp passing game
-12 of last 15 draft picks for Offense
-Zero defensive picks before 6th round
Those facts speak for themselves. Even when considering the possibility that Fisher might not have total control over his staff or the draft, that kind of extreme focus on the offense does not happen without him being on board.

"Wentz is a better fit for this offense"
-Fisher is a huge Peyton Manning fan
-Bradford was key in choosing Rams
-0 dual-threat QBs on roster since JF
It's only natural to think of Steve McNair when considering Fishers time in Tennessee, assuming McNair is the type of QB that Fisher wants might be a fallacy though. Fisher last had good success in 2008 with Kerry Collins, a 33yr old back up QB who won 12 games and earned a 1st team all pro selection.It was widely reported that the Titans FO drafted Vince Young against Fishers wishes and he is the only other dual-threat QB to start games on a JF coached team that I can think of.
Facing Peyton Manning twice a year for 12 years certainly would have some influence on shaping Fishers views on the position, too. An extremely accurate passer with great vision and footwork in the pocket is still the hardest thing to defend.

Personally I was in the "Start Jared" camp and while I would be excited to see him play, I think part of that might be just my impatience and excitement, like a kid at Christmas who begs to open his presents early. Just because it's what I want, that doesn't make it the right choice. If the team believed Goff would eventually be the better QB but chose Wentz simply because he was more prepared to start week 1, we would all be pissed.
We can only speculate how Jared would have played vs the Browns and Bears and we don't know how Wentz would have performed against division rivals with good defenses. Which one proves to be the better pick is a question that wont have an answer this year or next. It's all speculative.

-Btw- Eli, Rivers, Brees, Rogers are a few modern era QBs that didn't begin their NFL careers as starters. All 4 are considered among the best of the last decade. Geno Smith, Ryan Tannehill, David Carr and many other 1st round picks who started week 1 did not pan out. The bust rate for QBs taken in the first round is about 50% and as far as I can tell, starting week 1 or not doesn't mean anything.