Fisher Talks Offensive Roster Moves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Myles Simmons
[link]

As you likely know, there have been a bevy of changes this offseason to the Rams’ offense. At the top of the list is Frank Cignetti’s promotion to offensive coordinator, but certainly not far behind is the Rams’ trade for quarterback Nick Foles
icon-article-link.gif

The new signal-caller has already made a strong impression on Jeff Fisher, which the head coach talked about at the NFL owner’s meetings in Phoenix this week.

“I think we like what everybody else liked about Nick. He’s just a great young man,” Fisher said.
“From everything that we can tell, because it’s just been a couple weeks, great teammate. Everybody says he’s a great teammate. He loves the building. He comes in early and stay late. We’re excited to have him as I’m sure Chip his staff and the Eagles are excited to have Sam.”

Among the attributes he extolled during his hour-long media session at the NFC coaches breakfast, Fisher talked about how Foles has shown mobility, strong decision making, and an ability to put the ball down field. Those elements came together well in Foles' outstanding 2013 season, in which he threw 27 touchdowns and just two interceptions to lead Philadelphia to the playoffs.

“When you have those kind of numbers, it’s about making decisions, getting rid of the football quickly, throwing with accuracy,” Fisher said. “A lot has to do with the scheme, too. It was a new scheme in ’13. People had time to adjust to that but he makes good decisions.”

Though Foles threw more interceptions in 2014 before suffering a season-ending collarbone injury, Fisher said that the team doesn’t have concerns about it.

“They happen. We had one,” Fisher said, referring to the Oct. 5 contest between the Rams and Eagles. “We made a play on a deep ball. Sometimes that happens.”

Foles will have St. Louis’ leading receiver in 2014 as a target, as the team re-signedKenny Britt
icon-article-link.gif
. One of the attributes the wide receiver brought to the offense was his leadership, which Fisher said didn’t surprise him because of his familiarity with the receiver from their shared time with the Titans. Britt set a new career high with 48 receptions, and led the team with 748 yards receiving.

“The production didn’t surprise me,” Fisher said. “I can kind of share the same issue Kenny does, and that’s we think he can be better. I think he can do better. He thinks he can be better. He thinks he can be more productive. He’s looking forward to the offensive changes. I think, yeah, we should see a lot more out of Kenny this year.”

Fisher didn’t divulge much about those offensive changes, other than saying that the team would like to get rid of the ball quicker. But in the evaluation period, the head coach said the staff concluded that bringing back Lance Kendricks
icon-article-link.gif
was a high priority. Lo and behold, he also re-signed with St. Louis.

Fisher said that assistant head coach/offense and tight ends coach Rob Boras played a key role in bringing Kendricks back.

“They talked throughout the process,” Fisher said. “When we sat down and made the offensive change, the offense sat down there started reviewing our run game and the passing game, it became apparent to them that Lance was very important to us moving forward.”
Article11040847_10153768681928484_3091640536078562490_n.jpg

While he wasn’t a free agent, the Rams brought back another familiar face by re-acquiringCase Keenum
icon-article-link.gif
from the Texans via trade. Fisher said that he wasn’t surprised with the success the quarterback had with Houston, adding that he was happy to have him back.

“We really like Case,” Fisher said. “He was making progress. He didn’t get the opportunity that I think he would have liked [last year] from a practice standpoint because he was our third and usually the third doesn’t get [reps]. But he would stay out after every practice and work.”

Fisher said that as it stands now, Keenum will be competing with Austin Davis
icon-article-link.gif
for the No. 2 quarterback role. Though teams seemed to catch up to what Davis was doing after a few games, Fisher said that Davis has a chance to get back to playing at a high level.

“One factor to consider is the offensive change,” Fisher said. “We’re going to be doing different things. I think Austin has a chance. He can see. He’s got a quick release and he’s got mobility.”

As for the offensive line, the team has brought in Garrett Reynolds
icon-article-link.gif
, who Fisher said has an ability to play both guard and tackle.

“Garrett played some right tackle in a few games at Detroit and I thought he played pretty well,” Fisher said, adding that Reynolds has history with both Cignetti and offensive line couch Paul Boudreau. “He’s a big, strong, physical guard or right tackle. He was at North Carolina when Cignetti was at North Carolina and Bou had him in Atlanta. He’s physical and he’s healthy. He’s one of those guys who gives you good depth.”

While Fisher said that the offensive line still has some spots available, he added that he feels good about the unit’s depth with guys like Barrett Jones
icon-article-link.gif
and Demetrius Rhaney
icon-article-link.gif
with penciled-in starters Greg Robinson
icon-article-link.gif
and Rodger Saffold
icon-article-link.gif
. He also said that the team has interest in bringing free-agent tackle Joe Barksdale
icon-article-link.gif
back, given the team’s familiarity with him and vice versa.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“Garrett played some right tackle in a few games at Detroit and I thought he played pretty well,” Fisher said, adding that Reynolds has history with both Cignetti and offensive line couch Paul Boudreau. “He’s a big, strong, physical guard or right tackle. He was at North Carolina when Cignetti was at North Carolina and Bou had him in Atlanta. He’s physical and he’s healthy. He’s one of those guys who gives you good depth.”

I'm not sure Boudreau will make it through the season as the offensive line couch. Sounds like a dangerous job.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I'm not sure Boudreau will make it through the season as the offensive line couch. Sounds like a dangerous job.
I'd hate to have GR flop down on me, that's for sure! Talk about a Hulk smash! :):unsure:

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I'm gonna give Fisher the benefit of the doubt here on the Oline. while the Long,Wells and Joseph fuck ups make you lose faith I want to believe maybe this unproven developing Oline talent might be legit. I'd say 70 percent of Snishers picks are either developed, progressing nicely or have raw potential at all positions on the field (there are no dubs IMO at any position on the field minus missing Olinemen). but still please God resign Joe at least if your gonna bank on the draft and our unprovens.

FRO

Legend
I'm gonna give Fisher the benefit of the doubt here on the Oline. while the Long,Wells and Joseph freak ups make you lose faith I want to believe maybe this unproven developing Oline talent might be legit. I'd say 70 percent of Snishers picks are either developed, progressing nicely or have raw potential at all positions on the field (there are no dubs IMO at any position on the field minus missing Olinemen). but still please God resign Joe at least if your gonna bank on the draft and our unprovens.
I'm not sure I would give him the benefit of the doubt on the line after three years. I want the thing fixed now. It was the biggest need going into the offseason and it still is. It looks like they are going the rookie route to fix it.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure I would give him the benefit of the doubt on the line after three years. I want the thing fixed now. It was the biggest need going into the offseason and it still is. It looks like they are going the rookie route to fix it.
I think, after three years of trying, it's reasonable for some doubt to creep into the minds of Rams fans. There is (doubt) for me.

But, it's still early and I'll wait to see what they come up with.

I still feel strongly about Wiz...

I still believe the Center is an important (underrated) part of the offense and putting a rookie in there (and, to me, any of the Centers on the existing roster count as rookies because they really haven't gotten any experience) is asking for trouble.

I'd love it if they could get Blalock as well. Not as high on Barksdale... certainly wouldn't pay him anywhere near what is being reported. Smart of the Rams to wait that one out.

So, not panicking... but certainly concerned right now.