Fisher still looking to draft a QB/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher still looking to draft a QB
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_3e5c1e23-450a-5456-b538-3ff9742f471c.html

PHOENIX • Even with the arrival of Nick Foles via trade, the Rams’ game plan at quarterback remains unchanged according to coach Jeff Fisher.

“It’s our intention to draft one,” Fisher said. “The Nick (Foles) trade has no bearing over what we do in the draft.”

OK, but it’s probably not going to be Florida State’s Jameis Winston or Oregon’s Marcus Mariota, the top two QB prospects in the 2015 draft.

Winston is widely expected to go No. 1 overall to Tampa Bay. And Mariota could very well go second overall to Tennessee.

“They’re unique; they’re rare,” Fisher said of the pair. “They’ve clearly proven they can win games. Marcus obviously is a little bit more mobile than Winston is. But Winston makes all of the throws. They’re both very impressive to watch.”

Winston operated in more of a pro-style offense with the Seminoles, but Mariota will have to make the adjustment from a college spread system unless he’s drafted by his former college coach Chip Kelly in Philadelphia.

“I don’t think it’s going to be difficult,” Fisher said. “He’s been working under those circumstances now in training situations. I think it just added to the intrigue. He tested out so well as an athlete.”

If for some reason Tennessee doesn’t take Mariota at No. 2 overall, things might get interesting. The next interested team might be the New York Jets at No. 6. They have veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick and youngster Geno Smith, but Jets owner Woody Johnson likes to make a splash, and having Mariota in the Big Apple would do just that.

But what if they pass on Mariota? Do the Rams at No. 10 overall get on the phone and try to move up?

“Well, you know how I am with respect to hypotheticals,” Fisher said, grinning broadly.

Fisher doesn’t like to comment on hypotheticals. But we also know how the Rams are when it comes to draft trades. From the Robert Griffith III trade and several spinoff moves in 2012, to trading up for Tavon Austin in 2013, the Rams haven’t been shy about moving around in the draft under Fisher and general manager Les Snead.

“We’ll see,” Fisher said. “I think it’s highly unlikely that either one of them gets to us. They’re both very talented players.”

If that’s the case, that leaves the Rams looking at the second-tier of quarterbacks.

“There’s some outstanding players once you get beyond (Winston and Mariota),” Fisher said. “We’re just starting the process. My understanding based on our first-wave draft meetings is that there’s some young quarterbacks that can play.”

That’s debatable, and if anything it’s not a very deep quarterback pool. Barring Winston or Mariota, the Rams would be looking at the likes of Baylor’s Bryce Petty, UCLA’s Brett Hundley, Oregon’s Sean Mannion, and Colorado State’s Garrett Grayson.

Petty could be the best of the rest, and he indicated on Sirius XM radio earlier this month that he has a “top 30” visit planned to St. Louis.

“Good combine,” Fisher said. “Got a very strong arm. Good athlete. You don’t see him do things that we’re gonna ask him to do, so I think you have to see him actually work out, private workout, things like that.”

That’s because Petty also played in a spread offense in college, never lining up under center. If the Rams were going to draft a QB among the second tier, they almost have to do so in the second round because the supply might be largely depleted if they wait until Round 3.

With Foles as the Rams’ starter in 2015, a drafted quarterback in theory could watch and learn as a rookie.

Rounding out the quarterback depth chart are Austin Davis and Case Keenum, which appears to be an either/or proposition.

“We’re gonna let Austin and Case compete for that No. 2 spot,” Fisher said. “That’s our plan.”

Which means the loser probably is out on the street if the Rams indeed draft a QB.

Davis started out in surprising fashion last season, putting up big numbers against the likes of Dallas and Philadelphia but stumbling through turnover-plagued games as the season progressed before getting benched at midseason in favor of Shaun Hill.

The Rams have made a qualifying offer to Davis as a restricted free agent, which means he could get an outside offer from another team.

“Austin’s still in our plans,” Fisher said. “He’s still gonna come in and compete.”

Fisher says it’s possible Davis can cut down on mistakes and revert to his early-season form of 2014, particularly under the revamped offense of new coordinator Frank Cignetti.

“We’re gonna be doing different things,” Fisher said. “We’re gonna throw it quicker. I think Austin has a chance. You can see he’s got a quick release. He’s got mobility.”

As for Keenum, the Rams had to trade a 2016 seventh-rounder for him 2 ½ weeks ago to get him back after Houston plucked him off the Rams’ practice squad last season.

“We really like Case,” Fisher said. “He was making progress, but didn’t get the opportunity I think he would’ve liked from a practice standpoint because he was our third (QB). And usually the third doesn’t get (much work) but he would stay out after every practice and work.”