Fisher SHOULD start Goff against Denver.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jared Goff isn't ready to start week 1 at San Francisco.
His lack of experience under Center is an issue, his ball security and internal play clock are not tuned up enough yet to face any team right now, not even against the flaming paper bag of dogshit that is the San Francisco FordyNinurs.

And that's exactly why the rookie SHOULD start against Denver.

The sooner the training wheels come off, the sooner he experiences throwing against and to NFL starting caliber talent, the sooner he learns how to communicate with his O-line, how to handle the noise in a hostile environment.....
.....then it's all the sooner THE MOST TALENTED QB ON THE RAMS ROSTER can start winning games.

Delaying his progress only delays the inevitable.
It's like pulling a bad tooth. It's got to happen, so get it done. Staring into the bathroom mirror with pliers in your mouth while you try to talk yourself into it is just prolonging the agony.

It's not about winning week 1, it's about surviving the early season while developing a playoff caliber team to take into the post season.

I think Fisher is playing everyone.
If he can, he will keep everyone convinced that Keenum will be his week 1 starter while he continues to give Goff 1st string reps in practice.
Then as the opener approaches, the FordyNinurs will be forced to prepare for either CK or JG. They won't know what our new offense looks like and they won't know which QB to study... they will be forced to prepare for both.

That's how you prepare a kid to play in his first NFL game, as the QB, in his hometown, on Monday Night Football, and win.
It all makes for a great story, too.
When it comes to Kroenkes' LA RAMS, the entertainment factor must always be considered...

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I'll be the most surprised Rams fan on Earth if Goff starts either Saturday or week one..

jap

Legend
Jerad will get his reps. He was slated to have much more reps in pre-season game 1 until a hard tackle inspired Fish to pull him off the field. He went some two quarters in pre-season game 2. I fully expect him to get the lion's share of the snaps in pre-season game 3, the so-called dress rehearsal game, where he should get extended play with the starters.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I agree, Fisher is good at telling 1 thing and doing another. And if there is a competitve advantage to be had, Fisher will find a way to use it, as he should. How much of his "patience" statement just coach speak? I'm not to concerned with who starts week 1, but I do think it would be best for the team if Goff is able to beat out Keenum for the starting job in time to start week 1. But he must earn it, Fisher cant just appoint him the starter because he was drafted #1.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll be the most surprised Rams fan on Earth if Goff starts either Saturday or week one..
I don't believe he will start against Denver, just that he should.
I do still believe that there is a good chance that he will start week 1 though.

jap

Legend

I can see Jerad starting Week One. However, it would really help of he gets more playing time under center before he formally becomes the starter. Tripping over your OL guy's foot and fumbling the rock away is simply not a Hollywood scenario for the Showtime! City.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Once the season starts he will be stuck with the 2nd team in practice. He needs ALL the reps possible to get him up to speed.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Jerad will get his reps. He was slated to have much more reps in pre-season game 1 until a hard tackle inspired Fish to pull him off the field. He went some two quarters in pre-season game 2. I fully expect him to get the lion's share of the snaps in pre-season game 3, the so-called dress rehearsal game, where he should get extended play with the starters.
I'm usually not one to nitpick, but his name is Jared.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't believe he will start against Denver, just that he should.
I do still believe that there is a good chance that he will start week 1 though.
To me he is a hundred miles away from being ready.
A division game on the road....naw, gotta win that one.
SF D is a good D. Easy to underestimate. I would the odds of Goff starting week 1 at about 20%. Just can't see it yet.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed ! Fisher needs to see what he gave all the pics up for .

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
While I appreciate and understand the notion that Jared should be allowed to develop in live action with the 1's, I disagree with this assessment. Yes, Goff has the most talent. Yes, reps with the starting unit is necessary. There is something to be said for biting the bullet and sacrificing for the long term good.

But I disagree for the following reasons. One, not putting the best prepared player on the field is unfair to the rest of the team. Players need to be able to trust that the staff is as committed to winning ONE GAME AT A TIME just as coaches preach to them everyday. One game at a time, one series at a time, one play at a time. Secondly, by not being mentally prepared for the job, Jared's development can actually be hindered by playing through the errors. He can develop bad habits. He can begin to lose confidence. He can lose the confidence of his teammates. He can be unnecessarily exposed to avoidable injury.

There are pros and cons involved in playing Goff right away but our opinions won't change Fisher's mind on the subject. He will get backup reps until the staff believe he's ready to be the best choice for winning any game and that time has not yet come.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
To me he is a hundred miles away from being ready.
A division game on the road....naw, gotta win that one.
SF D is a good D. Easy to underestimate. I would the odds of Goff starting week 1 at about 20%. Just can't see it yet.

20%
That's not horrible odds. So you're saying there is a 1 in 5 chance that he starts week 1, even as someone who feels he is a hundred miles away?
That's my point. Even though he isn't ready, we can all see it as a reasonable possibility.

Since it is a reasonable possibility that Goff starts week 1, it's all the more important that he gets experience leading the first team offense in a loud and proud stadium against a defense that is literally loaded with SB championship caliber players.
Yank the tooth already. Yes, it will hurt like hell and bleed... and start getting better.

fearsomefour

Legend
20%
That's not horrible odds. So you're saying there is a 1 in 5 chance that he starts week 1, even as someone who feels he is a hundred miles away?
That's my point. Even though he isn't ready, we can all see it as a reasonable possibility.

Since it is a reasonable possibility that Goff starts week 1, it's all the more important that he gets experience leading the first team offense in a loud and proud stadium against a defense that is literally loaded with SB championship caliber players.
Yank the tooth already. Yes, it will hurt like hell and bleed... and start getting better.
I think there is a 20% chance Fisher makes a mistake.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think there is a 20% chance Fisher makes a mistake.

Are you that sure that starting Keenum week 1 will prove to be the best thing for the team 17 weeks later?

Btw, I'm not 100% sure about anything, but I do appreciate a good discussion and different points of view.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Delaying his progress only delays the inevitable.
It's like pulling a bad tooth. It's got to happen, so get it done. Staring into the bathroom mirror with pliers in your mouth while you try to talk yourself into it is just prolonging the agony.

I gotta ask...

How many of your teeth have you pulled yourself with pliers ?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm usually not one to nitpick, but his name is Jared.

it rankles me too when people spell names wrong ...it just really grates... probably my OCD kicking in but makes my teeth itch

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I gotta ask...

How many of your teeth have you pulled yourself with pliers ?

Only one, when I was a youngster. (And a lot tougher than I am now!!!)
Fair question haha

How about: "When you are fishing with some douchebag, and a fish has swallowed his hook and he doesn't know what to do, don't be squeamish and delay it, shove those needle nose pliers down it's throat and get it out. Get it over with so you can get back to fishing."
; )

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think Goff at some point will be the starter. Just not week one. Right now Keenum gives them the best chance to win.