Fisher: Shaun Hill hurt quad, 'period'/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher: Shaun Hill hurt quad, 'period'
By Nick Wagoner
ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...r-play-jeff-fisher-says?ex_cid=espnapi_public

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher has been steadfast in his commitment to veteran quarterback Shaun Hill since starter Sam Bradford was lost to a torn ACL on Aug. 23.

When Hill departed Sunday's 34-6 loss to the Minnesota Vikings with what the Rams called a strained left quadriceps, the conspiracy theorists began coming out of the woodwork claiming that Hill's mediocre first half was the reason he exited.

On Monday, Fisher strongly denied that anything other than Hill's leg was the reason for his departure.

"I have not heard anything along those lines," Fisher said. "I'm telling you the truth. I've never messed around with the quarterback situation in my entire career. I am speaking truthfully. He's got a quad strain and we took him out of the game, period. ... That's absurd."

Hill was making his first start as a Ram after signing in St. Louis as a free agent during the offseason. He was 8-of-13 for 81 yards with no touchdowns but threw an interception late in the first half that Fisher said was due in part to his aching quad.

According to Fisher, he and Hill discussed the injury at halftime and came to the conclusion that Hill would only make the injury worse by continuing to play.

Hill stayed on the sideline in full uniform for the second half but Fisher said that was because they agreed he could take shotgun snaps if something were to happen to backup Austin Davis.

After the game, Hill deferred all questions about his injury to Fisher, which fueled some of the speculation.

As for this week, Fisher said Hill's practice status will be a day-to-day proposition and emphasized that if Hill is healthy, there is no quarterback controversy in this or any other week.

"If Shaun is able to play, he will be our starter," Fisher said. "There's no issue there. Shaun's our quarterback, so if he's healthy, he starts, and that will be the case throughout the season."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm telling you the truth. I've never messed around with the quarterback situation in my entire career. I am speaking truthfully. He's got a quad strain and we took him out of the game, period. ... That's absurd.
I have to give him the benefit of the doubt, but Hill's comments about deferring to Fisher regarding his own injury were perplexing to say the least.

V3

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I still don't believe it. The look on Hill's face pretty much said it all(and that fact that he was walking around just fine on the sidelines). And then top it off with Hill deferring all questions to Fisher....seems too fishy to me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Even if Fish did bench Hill, i don't see the big issue...as long as Fisher was open about it...and i think he would be either way.
Therefor I believe Fisher's story.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
No way man....he was pulled.

My reasons for believing this are, as a veteran the INT was a rookie like mistake, and I'm sure Hill is the backup QB because he is supposed to know better than make a mistake like that at the end of the half....Just speculation...Plus his body language..

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Right, Fisher seems to not pull any punches so I believe him. No issue as far as I'm concerned. About to listen to the Jeff Fisher show on 101.1 right now.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
But the thing is Fisher is the type of coach that wouldn't put it out there if he was pulled for performance, he's the type of coach that won't throw his players under the bus. Which makes you wonder if the "injury" was his reasoning to the public.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
But the thing is Fisher is the type of coach that wouldn't put it out there if he was pulled for performance, he's the type of coach that won't throw his players under the bus. Which makes you wonder if the "injury" was his reasoning to the public.
Ah, that is true. Very good point.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I could buy this if we were talking about benching Bradford, Long, Quinn, JL etc...or any franchise QB. IMO Fish wouldn't think twice about benching Hill, Davis, Gilbert, Keenum for performance, and then i think he'd step up to the podium and let it be known. I wouldn't blame him either.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Bottom line for me is...why make an excuse for benching a player like Shaun Hill?

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Just heard Fish say that Shaun Hill is day to day. He also said that he wouldn't pull him for one mistake at one of the hardest positions to play. He also said look at his first half. He seemed to be pleased with Hill's performance other than the interception.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Fisher is feeling the heat... :(

This team is now becoming disfunctional without our leader and QB, Sam Bradford.

I'm fearing on this season, winning 5 games. I can't imagine us winning fewer than 5.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

nanotech

Rookie
Anecdotally. if you look at Fisher's teams performances over the years, it seems like his teams start slowly and then pick it up during the year. Seems true with the Rams and with the Titans. I am likely mistaken, but it seems he builds things for his team to be playing the best at the end of the year. Hang tough.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah, I still don't believe it. The look on Hill's face pretty much said it all(and that fact that he was walking around just fine on the sidelines). And then top it off with Hill deferring all questions to Fisher....seems too fishy to me.

Well, Sam was walking around just fine in Cleveland too.

So was Chris Long yesterday.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories in football in this day and age.

My guess is the most obvious situation. Shaun really was hurt, but believed he could play it through. Jeff Fisher didn't want to risk further aggravating the injury and pulled him. And obviously Shaun disagreed with that decision.

V3

Hall of Fame
Well, Sam was walking around just fine in Cleveland too.

So was Chris Long yesterday.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories in football in this day and age.

My guess is the most obvious situation. Shaun really was hurt, but believed he could play it through. Jeff Fisher didn't want to risk further aggravating the injury and pulled him. And obviously Shaun disagreed with that decision.

Conspiracy theories. :palm::jerkoff:
You could be right. It doesn't really matter anyways.

As for conspiracy theories... They definitely exist. Look no further than Spygate. One could argue for different theories regarding the Ray Rice situation.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
oops, put manziel post here by mistake...

Go rams.