Fisher says Rams made/took no calls about Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wrstdude

Rookie
@ProFootballTalk: Jeff Fisher tells @dpshow that the Rams made no calls and took no calls about a possible Sam Bradford trade http://t.co/z3A7Mtu0Cw

The last sentence is interesting; extension in the works??

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
@ProFootballTalk: Jeff Fisher tells @dpshow that the Rams made no calls and took no calls about a possible Sam Bradford trade http://t.co/z3A7Mtu0Cw

The last sentence is interesting; extension in the works??
If there is not already, there should be! He'll be even more expensive after tearing the league up in 2014!!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldnt extend Sam until seeing how this season turns out. If he gets hurt or is unproductive again its time to say goodbye

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Sam has all the tools you look for in a franchise QB, but he needs to start trusting his arm a little more and not being afraid to look for holes in coverage in the middle of the field.

Hopefully with this mammoth O-line they now have in front of him, he'll get some of that confidence back that he showed early in his career.

If he can do that I don't see another QB taking snaps behind center in 2015.

scifiman

I think it is more telling that the rams took no calls asking about Bradfords availability. I know that can be traced to one thing for the most part and that is his salary. I think a lot of teams would inquire if he was making $5 mil a year vs what he is making now and what he will want in the future. IMO they should not even think about extending Bradford until after this year and see how it plays out. He may get injured again or fall back into his same pattern of dump off passing of 3rd and 6 so throw a 5 yard pass and then 4th down. That just drives me nuts. TO me let's just wait and see.

scifiman

I just cant wait (sarcasm) for all the debate when it comes time to restructure his contract and how that all plays out and what he thinks he is worth to what the team thinks he is worth. It is not going to be pretty.

scifiman

Also to be fair and what it is worth Eli Manning and Joe Flacco all rated below him but they have won super bowls. This team can win a super bowl with him at qb and hope they do but they will need to have the rest of team pick up the slack.

MrMotes

Starter
It's probably not smart for Sam to extend right now. His value is relatively low. Seems like from his perspective the upside of waiting outweighs the possible downside...

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Right. Tom Condon (Bradford's agent) is a smart man who knows that the upside of an outstanding season far outweighs the downfall of another just-below-average year, especially in today's landscape of so few truly elite signal callers. At the end of the day I think we'll see Sam perform somewhere in between in 2014 and end up accepting a deal that is fair to both sides and pays him less than his exorbitant rookie year to lead this team for another 4 or 5 years.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Extending Sam doesn't mean you are throwing huge jack at the guy and assuming he will earn it. There are MANY ways to structure a contract with performance incentives, games started, etc... If they are truly trying to work out an extension now, I'm putting my faith in KDs hands far ahead of any of us here. No offense but there isn't a one of us who really has a clue as to how they are looking at structuring the deal. We also don't know if they are "working on" an extension means they are talking about maybe what this year should look like in order to get $X.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Sam has all the tools you look for in a franchise QB, but he needs to start trusting his arm a little more and not being afraid to look for holes in coverage in the middle of the field.

Hopefully with this mammoth O-line they now have in front of him, he'll get some of that confidence back that he showed early in his career.

I thnik he's gonna see a lot of free runners in the secondary this year,if he doesn't get too excited and short arms the ball IMO we have some monster TD plays this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Yup. Exactly. And that's a great way to list your concerns about him too. As opposed to "he always does this, he's afraid to do that, he's not this, he'll never be that because his stats say this." I think, like you said, if he gets to feel comfortable in the pocket, he'll stop keying on his pre-snap isolation matchup and dumping off when that guy doesn't get free, and instead begin to again start looking at a couple of different options downfield. And working play-action off of an even more improved run game should give everyone what they're looking for from Bradford. That's the key in my opinion.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

While I don't completely disagree with you about "trusting his arm", I think it has more to do with him being coached to not turn the ball over. If you look at his decisions throughout the game, he tends to make the "safe" throw early in games. But when it gets to the 4th Quarter, and he needs to make plays to either mount a comeback, or sustain a big drive, he tends to force the ball more and make throws he doesn't in other times of the game.

His passer rating in the 4th quarter is noticeably better than in other times. So, again, given Fisher's MO, and his emphasis on not turning the ball over, I would guess that its more than Bradford just not trusting his arm.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
While I don't completely disagree with you about "trusting his arm", I think it has more to do with him being coached to not turn the ball over. If you look at his decisions throughout the game, he tends to make the "safe" throw early in games. But when it gets to the 4th Quarter, and he needs to make plays to either mount a comeback, or sustain a big drive, he tends to force the ball more and make throws he doesn't in other times of the game.

His passer rating in the 4th quarter is noticeably better than in other times. So, again, given Fisher's MO, and his emphasis on not turning the ball over, I would guess that its more than Bradford just not trusting his arm.

I believe that's certainly part of it. And his previous boss didn't exactly help him roll through his progressions with his three second whistle during camp and practices.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Well, of course the last sentence is interesting, it's all one sentence! *rimshot*

Anyway, I'm actually wondering if the last part of said sentence means no one called with interest, or if Fisher refused to even hear an offer. Those are two separate ideas.

I'm all for Sam, but I'd absolutely hear an offer out. As I've said before, my philosophy is that we MIGHT trade anyone on the team... but for certain people, you'd have to make us an absolutely crazy offer.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree that Fish and Shurmur before him were more about not turning the ball over than gunning it down field. I'm guessing we'll see more downfield passing this season but still with a directive of not just throwing it up for grabs in hopes of your receiver coming down with it.