Fisher Says a Healthy Hill Still the Starter/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher says a healthy Hill still the starter
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12021/fisher-says-a-healthy-hill-still-the-starter

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The question is not going to go away anytime soon and with the St. Louis Rams on bye week, it will almost certainly persist for at least the next two weeks.

But Rams coach Jeff Fisher was asked once again Monday whether Austin Davis had done enough to supplant Shaun Hill as the starting quarterback. His response was familiar.

"We'll see how things go this week," Fisher said. "We'll see how Shaun is, but as I've maintained Shaun is our starter and Austin is our backup.”

Hill, of course, is still recovering from a thigh injury. But it's interesting to note that Hill's thigh was healthy enough for the Rams to keep him active as the No. 2 quarterback against the Dallas Cowboys last week. What's more, the Rams named third quarterback Case Keenum a pregame inactive, meaning had something happened to Davis, Hill would've been the only option.

Fisher offered an explanation for that Monday also. Well, sort of.

"We kept him up as the two because I felt like he could finish a game out of the shotgun," Fisher said. "But he's not ready to go under center yet.”

With Hill as the backup, Davis again made a strong statement that he should continue to start so long as he keeps performing at a high level. He was 30-of-42 for 327 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions.

That performance impressed Fisher.

"I thought he had a pretty good day," Fisher said. "Threw the ball around, moved around, avoided sacks in the pocket. I thought he played, like I said last night, good enough to win, but you got to see where you're cutting that ball loose and he didn't. He cut that ball loose, he got some pressure and cut it loose. Interception for a touchdown is not a good thing. It happens, but overall I thought he played a little bit better than he did last week.”

Fisher also indicated Monday that Hill is nearing a return to full health. But whether he wants to speak publicly about it or not, there is a decision that will have to be made at some point before the Rams next game against Philadelphia on Oct. 5.

Despite his insistence to the contrary, the hunch here is that Fisher will indeed take this bye week to see how Hill has progressed and consider who his starter will be moving forward. Until someone other than Davis starts for the Rams, there's no use in getting upset over milk that hasn't yet spilled.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Honestly, I'd be gutted if we didn't stay with Davies at QB

I have nothing against hill, he's a more than capable QB, but Austin Davies is young and has a bright future. His yards per attempt is 8.02 (5th) with a QB rating of 93.1 (14th'ish)
This from a 3rd string QB with 3rd string reps during TC.
Is he our starter next year? I don't think so, but ride with him whilst he's hot

bskrilla

Starter
I'm still of the mind that we can win or lose with either. We've all said it a thousand times but this team is going to win and lose on defense and the ability to run the ball and Davis' two good outings against mediocre defenses hasn't changed that.

I think Hill is still probably the better QB currently, but I would stick with Davis for now simply because he's younger and I'd like to see how he shakes out over the course of a season. Might as well see what we have with him one way or the other.

I'll add I like Wagoner's last sentence, "Until someone other than Davis starts for the Rams, there's no use in getting upset over milk that hasn't yet spilled." Quite a few fans and media folk could take note of this.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Don't blame him, Davis might just be a flash in a pan type QB. C'est à dire, Case Keenum fooled me into thinking he was a long term solution at QB. Backup QBs tend to do well these days when there isn't a gameplan to stop them, Davis is no exception. I just hope Fisher picked the best option for us to win in Week 5.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
If it was up to me he'd have 13 games to convince me that he is.
Agreed, but let's say we draft a QB in the first next year, depending who it us if course, you think Davies beats him to the job?
Also we haven't a scooby doo what the situation with Bradford is. Will Davies beat him out of the starting role next year if he's brought back?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Meh...

My guess is that Fish is just forcing our opponents to prepare for both.

I haven't seen enough of either one of them to get a good feeling about who I'd prefer if both were healthy. I'm leaning towards Davis though... Hill seems too frail after mysteriously injuring himself in the 1st half of week 1.

Fish will start whoever he wants and he'll be happy to keep everyone else guessing.

Agreed, but let's say we draft a QB in the first next year, depending who it us if course, you think Davies beats him to the job?
Also we haven't a scooby doo what the situation with Bradford is. Will Davies beat him out of the starting role next year if he's brought back?

If Davis plays 15 games and has a passer rating north of 90 at the end he's starting for me in 2015, no questions. I'd probably draft a QB in the 3rd to back him up. And I'd keep Sam at a much reduced contract if he wants to battle for the back up job.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
If Davis plays 15 games and has a passer rating north of 90 at the end he's starting for me in 2015, no questions. I'd probably draft a QB in the 3rd to back him up. And I'd keep Sam at a much reduced contract if he wants to battle for the back up job.

Fair enough, I guess it all depends on how Austin plays these next games.
First, fisher has to give him the starting role though!

Fair enough, I guess it all depends on how Austin plays these next games.
First, fisher has to give him the starting role though!

Yup, no good speculating about long term plans if he isn't even in the short term, just feel we could have caught lightning in a bottle.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
"A player doesn't lose his starting job due to injury". It seems that has been the mindset of coaches and players for years. Minus two plays, Davis looked good against the Cowboys. Comfortable, confident, and looking very much like a leader out there. If Hill is fully recovered and Fisher goes back to him, I'm okay w/ that. If he sucks, I then trust coach to go with the best option.

GO RAMS!!!!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
This news is a big disappointment to me. They just keep coming. Oh well if I watch I will deal with it

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't think Davis will ever be a season opener starter barring injury of course. But I do think he's going to be a very good #2/spot starter here. So I have had a change of heart in the last week. I think it should be Davis who starts the next game. It's not like Hill won't be right there on the sideline if he goes south.

Athos

Legend
Hell, I look at this team as a whole and I don't see playoff caliber, if only because of the D.

Ride the seemingly unknown commodity in Davis that you have, give him full exposure against NFC West teams, and see what you does. If he's throwing picks all over the field, yea, you probably gotta return to Hill.

If he's moving the ball, making the mistakes here and there that rookies make, but improving each week....it'd be silly to remove him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just want to see the QB that give us the BEST chance to WIN out their!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO, unless Davis lays a complete egg, he should continue to be the starter. I think it's Fisher's way of making teams have to game plan for both, not that their styles are much different. Davis is quicker than Hill, which would make him somewhat harder to contain in the pocket once it starts to collapse. I think both have similar arm strength, not that arm strength is a factor d-coordinators worry about. Unless Fisher has a policy where a player will not lose his starting position due to injury, Davis should continue to be the No. 1 QB.

Athos

Legend
I don't think you lose anything starting Davis against the Iggles. If he doesn't perform, he doesn't perform, and you have Hill at the ready.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Davis deserves to start. What's a guy got to do to impress Fisher! Some guys seem to be born with Fisher's lifetime seal of approval, while others live in Fisher's doghouse.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Someone punch Hill in the thigh, please, before gets any more stubborn and declares Hill the starter despite wheel chair!!!