Fisher: 'Rams are the best fit for me'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BY JIM THOMAS AND KATHLEEN NELSON
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-report/fisher-to-coach-rams/article_499a0a9c-3e1d-11e1-88eb-001a4bcf6878.html#ixzz1jRxetuSh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... z1jRxetuSh</a>

[wrapimg=left]http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/c2/9c2e722c-3e1b-11e1-bc31-001a4bcf6878/4f1083ec27b40.preview-300.jpg[/wrapimg]Jeff Fisher has ended a week of drama in St. Louis and Miami by deciding to cast his lot with the Rams as head coach.

"The process has been lengthy, but for good reasons," Fisher told the Post-Dispatch on Friday afternoon. "I took a lot of time looking at and exploring in detail the non-economic issues of both clubs."

As reported last week by the Post-Dispatch, Fisher had a timetable in mind when he started the process. After visiting Rams Park on Sunday, Monday was to be a day to reflect on his visits to Miami and St. Louis. Tuesday and Wednesday were to be spent making sure all non-economic issues were in order — meaning everything besides Fisher's salary.

And by Thursday or Friday at the latest, Fisher wanted to make his decision. According to sources familiar with the negotiations, Fisher actually informed Rams owner Stan Kroenke sometime on Thursday that he wanted to be the next head coach of the St. Louis Rams.

But things were far from official at that time, so the Rams planned to continue their interviewing process, just in case.

Because contract details had yet to be finalized, the Rams kept things quiet. But Miami owner Stephen Ross kept pushing and pushing. Growing impatient, the Dolphins informed the Fisher camp they needed an answer Friday or they were going to move on in their search.

So the Dolphins were informed of Fisher's decision on Friday by Fisher's agent, Marvin Demoff, and the Dolphins apparently leaked the news to the national media. The Rams didn't learn that the news was out until a contingent of Rams officials got off their plane in San Francisco, where they were headed to interview New Orleans offensive line/running game coach Aaron Kromer.

As of Friday afternoon, that Rams group was trying to get out of the Bay Area.

"I'm really excited that the Rams are the best fit for me," Fisher said. "I hope I'm the best fit for the Rams, and am looking forward to finalizing the (contract) details and coming to work."

Fisher interviewed with Rams owner Stan Kroenke on Jan. 5 and toured Rams Park on Sunday. Prior to that came visits with Dolphins owner Ross in Palm Beach and a tour of the facilities in Miami.

Since then, reports have indicated that Fisher, who coached the Tennessee Titans for 16 full seasons, teetered between the two choices.

Some reports indicated that Miami offered more money. Others indicated that Fisher was uncomfortable with the Rams' stadium lease situation and a possible franchise move. Fisher coached the Titans through their move from Houston to Memphis to Nashville and was said to be uncomfortable with the thought of a coaching through a second relocation saga.

Fisher's resume includes a career record of 147-126 with the Oilers/Titans franchise, six playoff appearances and a loss to the Rams in Super Bowl XXXIV.

After firing Steve Spagnuolo on Jan. 2, Rams owner Kroenke indicated that he preferred a coach with previous NFL experience. Spagnuolo had been defensive coordinator for the Giants before taking the Rams' jobs.

Spagnuolo's predecessor, Scott Linehan, likewise had been a coordinator before his promotion in 2006. The team's record in the past six years is 23-73, with no playoff appearances.