Fisher Plays Down Brawl/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher plays down brawl
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_305f5d12-0458-5b3e-8614-4f648fc876a5.html

On the subject of that second-quarter fracas with the New York Giants, coach Jeff Fisher surprisingly said Monday that he didn’t think any Rams involved would face fines or discipline from the NFL.

He said he didn’t discuss the brawl with the team Monday but did speak with defensive end William Hayes, who was ejected for throwing a punch on the New York sideline.

“But the league will handle that,” Fisher said. “The league will handle the appropriate discipline as far as that’s concerned. I would be very surprised if we had anybody that was fined for that.”

Uh, come again? You would be surprised?

“If we had someone fined or disciplined,” Fisher said in affirmation.

Even Hayes?

“Yes, I would be surprised,” Fisher replied.

About the only possible exception in Fisher’s mind, in terms of a fine, would be linebacker Alec Ogletree, who jump-started the rumble by driving wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. well out of bounds after a short reception late in the second quarter.

“Now I can see what the officials are seeing with respect to Alec and the late hit out of bounds. But when you look at it really close, Odell has (Ogletree’s) facemask and he’s pulling him out of bounds. So it’s hard for (Ogletree) to let up.”

Actually, if you do indeed look at the replay closely, Beckham’s hand is up in the area of Ogletree’s facemask, but he’s not tugging on it. At least not until he was already driven about five yards out of bounds.

But Fisher wasn’t finished.

“There were some other things that happened in there that were very disappointing, but I’m confident that the league will handle it,” he continued.

He was speaking specifically of Giants place-kicker Josh Brown, a former Ram who was released by Fisher on the final day of the 2012 draft. Brown foolishly was late in jumping on the pile after a first-quarter kickoff return by Benny Cunningham.

Brown got shoved off the pile by a Ram, and then struck Rams safety Cody Davis with a strong kick. It’s debatable if the kick was intentional or accidental. But it’s not surprising which side of the debate Fisher came down on.

“People get ejected for kicking people in a game, and (Brown) was penalized,” Fisher said. “But there’s some sentiment, I thought, he should’ve been ejected from the game. ... Typically when that happens, they go. That could’ve been the difference in the game, going on and finishing the game without a kicker.”

The NFL has a very low tolerance level for any level of scuffling in games and will look at the tape of Sunday’s over and over to identify offenders and then dish out fines or further discipline. As it was, Hayes and two Giants — wide receiver Preston Parker and defensive end Damontre’ Moore — were ejected.

Parker also threw a punch. Also, Ogletree was penalized for unnecessary roughness.

After the game, several Giants were critical of the Rams’ style of play, particularly as it applied to Beckham.

“It was very dirty,” defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul said.

“They were going over and beyond when it came to Odell,” Giants safety Antrel Rolle said, according to the New York Post. “I don’t know if their plan was to bait him or hurt him or whatever it was. But we’re going to protect him.”

The strongest words came from Giants linebacker Jameel McClain.

“That dirty (stuff) don’t make them tough,” McClain said, according to NJ.com. “That is a dirty (bleep) organization. They suck as an organization.”

Fisher, who was aware of some of the comments by the Giants, offered this retort Monday: “I think it would be good if they looked (at) themselves in the mirror. They played really good, and they played hard, and they played physical.

“They beat us physically in a number of instances. But I don’t think we had a lot to do with those things on the sideline other than an attempt to break things up.”

And when asked if he thought Beckham got into his players’ head or got under their skin with some of his trash talking, cockiness, and taunting, Fisher said, “No, we just played hard.”

Played hard? Or played stupid?

This isn’t the first time the Rams let their emotions get the best of them. On Oct. 20, 2013 in Carolina, the game in which quarterback Sam Bradford suffered a season-ending knee injury, the Rams and Panthers combined for $55,125 in confirmed fines.

Defensive end Chris Long was ejected for throwing a bunch during a melee that lasted a couple of minutes out on the field. He was subsequently fined $15,750. That precedent would seem to indicate that Hayes is in line for a fine because of his actions against the Giants, Fisher’s opinion notwithstanding.

Not that Hayes didn’t have a reason to get frustrated.

“Yeah, he was head-locked, drug out of there, helmet ripped off, and then punched,” Fisher said.

Hayes said the punch didn’t actually strike him.

And in the 2013 season finale at Seattle, the Rams were penalized an astounding 21 times in a chippy game by both sides. (Only 12 penalties were actually assessed; nine were either declined or part of offsetting penalties.)

Defensive tackle Kendall Langford was ejected in that Seahawks game after inadvertently knocking the hat off of back judge Steve Freeman. (Physical contact by a player with a game official results in an automatic ejection.)

“I’m not concerned about that,” Fisher said after that contest, a 27-9 loss. “We’ll fix that. I can fix that in a team meeting.”

Looks like it’s still not fixed. This year, the Rams lead in the NFL in yards penalized (1,094).

Ramathon

I think it's a pretty safe bet the league will see things a little differently than Sergeant Schultz.

Big Willie

Starter
Sounds a little like Martz...shootin and fixin. Fisher protects his players to a fault. They were in the wrong in my opinion and Ogletree and Hayes should be fined. I think the Rams have a reputation as a tough, physical, thuggish team (which doesn't have to be seen as a bad thing). They also have a reputation as being immature, which means you can get them off their game (see Seattle and Carolina games last year, NYG this year). Yeah but, yabut,yabut, yabut....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds a little like Martz...shootin and fixin. Fisher protects his players to a fault. They were in the wrong in my opinion and Ogletree and Hayes should be fined. I think the Rams have a reputation as a tough, physical, thuggish team (which doesn't have to be seen as a bad thing). They also have a reputation as being immature, which means you can get them off their game (see Seattle and Carolina games last year, NYG this year). Yeah but, yabut,yabut, yabut....

I don't think Hayes did anything wrong. He was over on the sidelines trying to protect his teammate after a bunch of the Giants defensive players jumped into the fight and then Hayes got jumped by Damontre Moore and put in a headlock.

Ogletree was in the wrong to a degree but OBJ instigated it for sure. Ogletree definitely shoved him to the ground after they were out of bounds but Beckham Jr. had him by the facemask the entire time. And then when they were on the ground, Beckham Jr. continued to hold him by the facemask and threw a punch. Which led Ogletree to shove him in the face and start to back away. And then he was blindsided by Preston Parker which started the fight. And, of course, Parker threw quite a few haymakers(but got his ass kicked) and a bunch of Giants defensive players started jumping into the fight including Pierre-Paul.

Frankly, OBJ and Ogletree should have been ejected and Pierre-Paul should have been ejected.

But as a coach, it's his job to protect his players. Good coaches don't talk shit about their players to the media. They handle things behind closed doors.

goosekilla

UDFA
Name
Jeremy
Jim Thomas is turning into an asshole IMO this whole season the rams haven't been playing like a bunch of thugs in than the Giants come in and they decide let's be assholes? No! The Giants were talking shit early and often I'm glad the rams fought back.

Big Willie

Starter
I don't think Hayes did anything wrong. He was over on the sidelines trying to protect his teammate after a bunch of the Giants defensive players jumped into the fight and then Hayes got jumped by Damontre Moore and put in a headlock.

Ogletree was in the wrong to a degree but OBJ instigated it for sure. Ogletree definitely shoved him to the ground after they were out of bounds but Beckham Jr. had him by the facemask the entire time. And then when they were on the ground, Beckham Jr. continued to hold him by the facemask and threw a punch. Which led Ogletree to shove him in the face and start to back away. And then he was blindsided by Preston Parker which started the fight. And, of course, Parker threw quite a few haymakers(but got his ass kicked) and a bunch of Giants defensive players started jumping into the fight including Pierre-Paul.

Frankly, OBJ and Ogletree should have been ejected and Pierre-Paul should have been ejected.

But as a coach, it's his job to protect his players. Good coaches don't talk crap about their players to the media. They handle things behind closed doors.
My focus was on the Rams players not the Giants. I didn't review the tape, but it look like Hayes took a swing at one of the Giants players, and for me that's enough to warrant disciplinary action. While I know coaches should protect their players in the media, you have to admit it gets tiresome to hear when you see players repeat horrible mistakes (this is not the first time for Ogletree or Hayes with overly aggressive fighting-type issues). Notice I said fighting Type issues, not fighting.

Ramathon

The only video I've been able to find is inconclusive about whether OBJ grabbed Tree's facemask as they were going down. He might have, but just can't tell for sure. But he definitely didn't have it when they were on the ground. Now, that doesn't excuse him throwing the ball in Tree's face and following that up with a kick. That alone should have got him booted from the game, and I would be dumbfounded if his game check isn't significantly lighter than normal as a result.

But as a coach, it's his job to protect his players. Good coaches don't talk crap about their players to the media. They handle things behind closed doors.

I agree with that almost entirely. But he wouldn't have to throw anyone under the bus just to acknowledge that he talked with the team about it in the locker room. I just don't see the point of this whole Sergeant Schultz 'I See N-O-T-H-I-N-G-!' approach he's taking.

Overall, I don't care who did what, and I sure as heck don't give a fat rat's arse who did what first. And I'm fine with them playing through the whistle and to the echo of the whistle. But when you're playing to the echo of the whistle from 3/4/5 plays ago or worse, from something some dumb rookie said in the locker room before the game even started, that's just not smart football play. This isn't 1972 when football players were (mostly rightly) referred to as 'dumb jocks'. Because a lot of them were. This is 2014, and physical talent alone won't win a lot of games. They have to play smart as well. And if Fisher isn't at least relaying that message in some way/shape/form, then he really is Sergeant Schultz.

And please don't tell me.... [insert eye roll here]"That's what happens when you have the youngest team in the league."[/eye roll off]. That's weak. There's enough veterans on this team to teach these young, overly emotional players how to play smart. Doesn't seem like that's happening either. So if Fisher is doing his best Sgt Schultz and the team 'leaders' have no sway over the young guys, something's wrong. But however it occurs, they just all need to grow the flock up.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jim Thomas is turning into an arsehole IMO this whole season the rams haven't been playing like a bunch of thugs in than the Giants come in and they decide let's be assholes? No! The Giants were talking crap early and often I'm glad the rams fought back.

I disagree talk is cheap and you need to walk away from that..Case closed! Wait to hit a guy legally like I posted previously you can fight back on the field. So what if a guy talks trash you do not let him get in your head and OBJ not only did that, but burned the Rams every which way but loose!

I understand you can get caught up in it, but discipline has to play a part of it too. Hey if you break up a play or hit him hard you can say something just don't get caught. Rams thought they were going to intimidate the Giants and throw them off their game, but the antithesis happened.

Thomas is a professional and IMO his reporting was spot on the Giants were talking early...So freaking what, hit them hard and shut them down and thus shut them up. And if OBJ does a little dance point the scoreboard that's how you shut people up!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Lol this is why SEA b#%&#%#@ about our team canstantly. They hate Fisher so much.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree talk is cheap and you need to walk away from that..Case closed! Wait to hit a guy legally like I posted previously you can fight back on the field. So what if a guy talks trash you do not let him get in your head and OBJ not only did that, but burned the Rams every which way but loose!

I understand you can get caught up in it, but discipline has to play a part of it too. Hey if you break up a play or hit him hard you can say something just don't get caught. Rams thought they were going to intimidate the Giants and throw them off their game, but the antithesis happened.

Thomas is a professional and IMO his reporting was spot on the Giants were talking early...So freaking what, hit them hard and shut them down and thus shut them up. And if OBJ does a little dance point the scoreboard that's how you shut people up!

I agree with what you say Den, completely.

And, I really don't the quote below (the red part).
Not from our Head Coach. I'd prefer he stay out of it altogether. Sounds kind of childish to me.

Fisher, who was aware of some of the comments by the Giants, offered this retort Monday: “I think it would be good if they looked (at) themselves in the mirror. They played really good, and they played hard, and they played physical.
Thomas seems to be calling Fisher out... in fact, Wagoner hasn't been particularly complimentary, either.

I wonder if something's going on between Rams Park and the media... just my gut, but I "feel" like there's more tension there than in years past.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thomas seems to be calling Fisher out... in fact, Wagoner hasn't been particularly complimentary, either.

I wonder if something's going on between Rams Park and the media... just my gut, but I "feel" like there's more tension there than in years past.

IMO they are calling him out because his team not only got buried, but got beat at his own game. The Giants got in the Rams head and threw them off their game. In fact, T.J. McDonald took out his own guy after he launched himself at OBJ.

Rams defense looked atrocious and had no answer for Beckham or Eli Manning and could not amount a pass rush on top of it. Just a horrendous game and it's hide time that Jeff Fisher be held accountable!

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Both teams were in the wrong Sunday. It takes two to tango.

Howeve, some needs to bring a fist down on this penalty BS. Saying "shoot we'll fix that" drives me nuts. I don't know what goes on behind closed doors though...

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OBJ is on my crap list, he's good, but I don't like that kind of attitude from a player. You can talk crap but don't act like you didn't do anything.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO they are calling him out because his team not only got buried, but got beat at his own game. The Giants got in the Rams head and threw them off their game. In fact, T.J. McDonald took out his own guy after he launched himself at OBJ.

Rams defense looked atrocious and had no answer for Beckham or Eli Manning and could not amount a pass rush on top of it. Just a horrendous game and it's hide time that Jeff Fisher be held accountable!
So, the honeymoon between the local media and Fisher may be coming to an end?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OBJ is on my crap list, he's good, but I don't like that kind of attitude from a player. You can talk crap but don't act like you didn't do anything.
Serious question... and please answer it as honestly as you can:
What if OBJ was a Ram, acted like he has and was playing at the level he's playing at?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So, the honeymoon between the local media and Fisher may be coming to an end?

IMO if the Rams continue to conduct themselves like this past Sunday, then yes! Also IMO Fish has one more year, he's going into year four of a 5 year 35 million dollar contract and it's time for this team to turn the corner...Against the Giants on Sunday they regressed and it's not going to get easier against the Super Bowl champions and IMO the team that will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl this year the Seattle Seahawks.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Serious question... and please answer it as honestly as you can:
What if OBJ was a Ram, acted like he has and was playing at the level he's playing at?

Well, hmm..that is a good question. All these years I've been watching the Rams, I see them talk smack but they don't get physical with other players. I'm okay with talking smack.. just the whole raising hands like he didn't do jack.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fisher plays down brawl
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_305f5d12-0458-5b3e-8614-4f648fc876a5.html

On the subject of that second-quarter fracas with the New York Giants, coach Jeff Fisher surprisingly said Monday that he didn’t think any Rams involved would face fines or discipline from the NFL.

He said he didn’t discuss the brawl with the team Monday but did speak with defensive end William Hayes, who was ejected for throwing a punch on the New York sideline.

“But the league will handle that,” Fisher said. “The league will handle the appropriate discipline as far as that’s concerned. I would be very surprised if we had anybody that was fined for that.”

Uh, come again? You would be surprised?

“If we had someone fined or disciplined,” Fisher said in affirmation.

Even Hayes?

“Yes, I would be surprised,” Fisher replied.

About the only possible exception in Fisher’s mind, in terms of a fine, would be linebacker Alec Ogletree, who jump-started the rumble by driving wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. well out of bounds after a short reception late in the second quarter.

“Now I can see what the officials are seeing with respect to Alec and the late hit out of bounds. But when you look at it really close, Odell has (Ogletree’s) facemask and he’s pulling him out of bounds. So it’s hard for (Ogletree) to let up.”

Actually, if you do indeed look at the replay closely, Beckham’s hand is up in the area of Ogletree’s facemask, but he’s not tugging on it. At least not until he was already driven about five yards out of bounds.

But Fisher wasn’t finished.

“There were some other things that happened in there that were very disappointing, but I’m confident that the league will handle it,” he continued.

He was speaking specifically of Giants place-kicker Josh Brown, a former Ram who was released by Fisher on the final day of the 2012 draft. Brown foolishly was late in jumping on the pile after a first-quarter kickoff return by Benny Cunningham.

Brown got shoved off the pile by a Ram, and then struck Rams safety Cody Davis with a strong kick. It’s debatable if the kick was intentional or accidental. But it’s not surprising which side of the debate Fisher came down on.

“People get ejected for kicking people in a game, and (Brown) was penalized,” Fisher said. “But there’s some sentiment, I thought, he should’ve been ejected from the game. ... Typically when that happens, they go. That could’ve been the difference in the game, going on and finishing the game without a kicker.”

The NFL has a very low tolerance level for any level of scuffling in games and will look at the tape of Sunday’s over and over to identify offenders and then dish out fines or further discipline. As it was, Hayes and two Giants — wide receiver Preston Parker and defensive end Damontre’ Moore — were ejected.

Parker also threw a punch. Also, Ogletree was penalized for unnecessary roughness.

After the game, several Giants were critical of the Rams’ style of play, particularly as it applied to Beckham.

“It was very dirty,” defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul said.

“They were going over and beyond when it came to Odell,” Giants safety Antrel Rolle said, according to the New York Post. “I don’t know if their plan was to bait him or hurt him or whatever it was. But we’re going to protect him.”

The strongest words came from Giants linebacker Jameel McClain.

“That dirty (stuff) don’t make them tough,” McClain said, according to NJ.com. “That is a dirty (bleep) organization. They suck as an organization.”

“They beat us physically in a number of instances. But I don’t think we had a lot to do with those things on the sideline other than an attempt to break things up.”

And when asked if he thought Beckham got into his players’ head or got under their skin with some of his trash talking, cockiness, and taunting, Fisher said, “No, we just played hard.”

Played hard? Or played stupid?

This isn’t the first time the Rams let their emotions get the best of them. On Oct. 20, 2013 in Carolina, the game in which quarterback Sam Bradford suffered a season-ending knee injury, the Rams and Panthers combined for $55,125 in confirmed fines.

Defensive end Chris Long was ejected for throwing a bunch during a melee that lasted a couple of minutes out on the field. He was subsequently fined $15,750. That precedent would seem to indicate that Hayes is in line for a fine because of his actions against the Giants, Fisher’s opinion notwithstanding.

Not that Hayes didn’t have a reason to get frustrated.

“Yeah, he was head-locked, drug out of there, helmet ripped off, and then punched,” Fisher said.

Hayes said the punch didn’t actually strike him.

And in the 2013 season finale at Seattle, the Rams were penalized an astounding 21 times in a chippy game by both sides. (Only 12 penalties were actually assessed; nine were either declined or part of offsetting penalties.)

Defensive tackle Kendall Langford was ejected in that Seahawks game after inadvertently knocking the hat off of back judge Steve Freeman. (Physical contact by a player with a game official results in an automatic ejection.)

“I’m not concerned about that,” Fisher said after that contest, a 27-9 loss. “We’ll fix that. I can fix that in a team meeting.”

Looks like it’s still not fixed. This year, the Rams lead in the NFL in yards penalized (1,094).
OH MY F-ING GOD! Is JT looking for a Job Reporting for some New York Sports Rag or something! That's all I'm going to say about this Piece! I'm going to Obay ROD Rules!! ( Damn it!!!! )

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only video I've been able to find is inconclusive about whether OBJ grabbed Tree's facemask as they were going down. He might have, but just can't tell for sure. But he definitely didn't have it when they were on the ground. Now, that doesn't excuse him throwing the ball in Tree's face and following that up with a kick. That alone should have got him booted from the game, and I would be dumbfounded if his game check isn't significantly lighter than normal as a result.

I've posted photo evidence in another thread. He grabbed Ogletree's facemask before he made contact in bounds and clearly had it when they were on the ground right before he threw his punch...and had it the entire time in between.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It has seemed for a few years now whenever someone at Rams Park gives the local media anything less than complete access, they start getting publicly pissed on.

By Bernie in particular.