Fisher on Goff's progress (from the Mason & Ireland Show)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
It makes it hard on Gurley to produce when you have a QB who struggles to get the ball downfield consistently.
Agreed but Keenum did a pretty good job of that against the hags

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Maybe. I feel you learn best by doing. Fisher obviously disagrees.
That's just the way some coaches are. They don't like stating rookies.
Even guys like Donald and Gurley didn't get to start until around week 4.

Goff will start when the coaches think he's ready. Even if Keenum is playing well. I believe Keenum's play has no bearing on Goff starting.
Just my opinion of course.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OH NO another lawyer!
And you could have work in the NFL oh man!!!! You seem to have a knack for it too. Well I hope you turn it into something good. I know a few and it is a burn out profession too. Good luck

Maybe could have. No guarantees. Still might have a shot. I hope I turn it into something good too. :)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If the Rams don't score a td this week they will go down as the most diabolical offense in the history of the Superbowl era nfl.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Yep. Your life is jumping from college to college in your region and living out of hotels/motels. I love football. I can understand how that would be appealing to somebody else. It just isn't appealing to me.
See I went to law school but I would have taken less money for a career in motels in different places every night if I could do it all again now. I realized too late I'm a traveler by inclination. I need to feel the road under my feet to feel alive. Of course, I didn't have the talent to scout pro football - but if I had that opportunity. Man I'd have loved that job. You, some game film, some tickets, a type-writer or a notepad and putting it all together.

jap

Legend
All you folks calling for Goff to start now, are you going to be OK with more turnovers?

People tend to panic and downplay the importance of preparedness vs getting a new face behind the center way too easily. Let Jared get fluent with the play-calling and all the other nuances. I want him starting as soon as possible to take advantage of all his positives, but his negatives need to be sufficiently minimized first.You have to know opposing NFL DC's are gonna throw the whole book at him once he gets on the field, and he has to be prepared for that extra defensive pressure too.

Someone suggested getting Sean some playing time in the interim. I would be in favor of that as he can get the ball downfield, although I'm not crazy about his slowness at releasing the rock. However, we need someone to drive defenders back & out of the box so the Express! as room to roam and time to mutate into a runaway freight train.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whatever it is you end up doing....I hope you enjoy it

If I don't, I'll find something else to do. Life is too short to hate what you do. :)

Thank you for the kind words! I hope you enjoy what you do as well!

See I went to law school but I would have taken less money for a career in motels in different places every night if I could do it all again now. I realized too late I'm a traveler by inclination. I need to feel the road under my feet to feel alive. Of course, I didn't have the talent to scout pro football - but if I had that opportunity. Man I'd have loved that job. You, some game film, some tickets, a type-writer or a notepad and putting it all together.

I don't enjoy traveling. I'd definitely take a lot less money to work for a NFL team if I could work in a front office role that didn't involve constant travel.

Oddly enough, I found that I actually enjoy working outside in the heat. I like being in an active job. Unfortunately, there aren't many that pay well and offer steady careers. I guess I picked a career that is completely the opposite of working outside haha.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
All you folks calling for Goff to start now, are you going to be OK with more turnovers?

Absolutely!

There is absolutely no way of knowing this after two games. They could win 10 or 12 games with Keenum at QB we just don't know but it is possible. Maybe not because of his outstanding performances but maybe because of what he and the rest of the team can do.

It's not just two games of Keenum it's 7 starts as a Ram and 10 as a Texan. The book is out on Keenum and what we see leaves a lot to be desired from the most important position in the game.

FrankenRam

Starter
Maybe. I feel you learn best by doing. Fisher obviously disagrees.

This 'only learn by doing' mindset is so overblown. Truth is, a lot can be learned from watching film and discussing what's seen there with the coaches. A fair amount can be learned from standing on the sideline carrying a clipboard and observing how the game unfolds and flows, etc. There's plenty of 'classroom learning' that will be beneficial to a player's development.

Is there a point where all that 'book learnin' becomes redundant and the player needs to get on the field and play to tie all the classroom stuff in a tidy little bow and make use of it....absolutely. If that weren't the case, you & I could learn to play QB.

Not sure if it's the best analogy in the world, but to me it's not all that much different than learning to pilot a plane. When I took flying lessons 'back in the day', there was a LOT of classroom time involved. Did all that classroom time prepare me for how the silly little Cessna 152 would *feel* when it went into a full power on stall. Hell no. But without having the classroom theory on techniques to recover from such situations, I would have been in serious trouble.

I blame the current CBA and it's very limited practice time mandates for teams' inability to 'develop' players quickly as much as I do the coaches for not getting the job done. In the 'two a days in pads' era of training camp and in season practices, coaches could afford to give a guy a few reps here & there just for the sake of giving him reps and to get a feel for what they've learned in the meeting/film rooms. These days, they really don't have that 'luxury'.

FRO

Legend
This 'only learn by doing' mindset is so overblown. Truth is, a lot can be learned from watching film and discussing what's seen there with the coaches. A fair amount can be learned from standing on the sideline carrying a clipboard and observing how the game unfolds and flows, etc. There's plenty of 'classroom learning' that will be beneficial to a player's development.

Is there a point where all that 'book learnin' becomes redundant and the player needs to get on the field and play to tie all the classroom stuff in a tidy little bow and make use of it....absolutely. If that weren't the case, you & I could learn to play QB.

Not sure if it's the best analogy in the world, but to me it's not all that much different than learning to pilot a plane. When I took flying lessons 'back in the day', there was a LOT of classroom time involved. Did all that classroom time prepare me for how the silly little Cessna 152 would *feel* when it went into a full power on stall. Hell no. But without having the classroom theory on techniques to recover from such situations, I would have been in serious trouble.

I blame the current CBA and it's very limited practice time mandates for teams' inability to 'develop' players quickly as much as I do the coaches for not getting the job done. In the 'two a days in pads' era of training camp and in season practices, coaches could afford to give a guy a few reps here & there just for the sake of giving him reps and to get a feel for what they've learned in the meeting/film rooms. These days, they really don't have that 'luxury'.
I'm not sure that analogy works because Goff has already had training on being a QB. He isn't starting from zero like you were with pilot lessons. He is just flying a different plane. I think he can learn the ins and outs better if he is out there taking his lumps. I guess personally I learn more from my mistakes than I do sitting there reading a book. Maybe everybody learns a bit different. I learn best by doing.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Well he sure fell so flat on his face in preseason to suggest that he desperately needed something. You can't change that with any amount of bickering. All you can do is hope he figures out how to do what he was drafted to do.

And sure Fisher is no offensive mind, but he's not going anywhere, so we may as well do what we've always done as fans of this team and find a way to enjoy the game on Sunday.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If I don't, I'll find something else to do. Life is too short to hate what you do. :)

Thank you for the kind words! I hope you enjoy what you do as well!

I don't enjoy traveling. I'd definitely take a lot less money to work for a NFL team if I could work in a front office role that didn't involve constant travel.

Oddly enough, I found that I actually enjoy working outside in the heat. I like being in an active job. Unfortunately, there aren't many that pay well and offer steady careers. I guess I picked a career that is completely the opposite of working outside haha.
I do enjoy my work. Makes a huge difference in one's quality of life.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Absolutely!

It's not just two games of Keenum it's 7 starts as a Ram and 10 as a Texan. The book is out on Keenum and what we see leaves a lot to be desired from the most important position in the game.
What is the Rams record with Keenum starting?

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Just confirms what others have said, in the Gruden thread in that he has no clue about the Rams, and what they are doing with Goff. On Fox pre-game show, they were chirping about Fisher's handling of Goff. Johnson made the snide comment that Goff will get a letter jacket cause he's "dressing out," and how Belicheat had just 4 days to get a rookie ready to play and beat a good team in the Texans. Get your chuckles in now you turds, cause it will all come back to bite you in the ass when it's all said and done. By the way, you could just tell Long wanted to chime in but held back, and man does he have the "man crush" on Belicheat now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
What is the Rams record with Keenum starting?

Irrelevant! As if his performance was the only thing leading us to wins. Might be your worst response in this thread you're better than that comment!

But for your benefit he's 4-3. With 4 touchdowns and three interceptions and a 58% completion and a whopping 149 YPG. So if you're going to brag about a 4-3 record have fun tooting your horn about those offensive stats and telling us all how great they are and how he won those games for us. As I've said in other threads about him Keenum isn't bad enough to single handedly lose us games and he's not good enough to single handedly win us games either.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I don't know, the guy can often he a 'slippery fish' when it comes to coach speak.

You've got to admit though , it's comforting to know that one of the great QB developer minds over the past 21 years is at the helm and assures us that Goff will be "our guy", as they head towards that 11-5 season. :baghead: :fuelfire::redcard:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Keenum isn't bad enough to single handedly lose us games and he's not good enough to single handedly win us games either.
He sure looked like he was trying versus SF ole-school...:puke::banghead::help::wtf::palm:

FrankenRam

Starter
I'm not sure that analogy works because Goff has already had training on being a QB. He isn't starting from zero like you were with pilot lessons. He is just flying a different plane. I think he can learn the ins and outs better if he is out there taking his lumps. I guess personally I learn more from my mistakes than I do sitting there reading a book. Maybe everybody learns a bit different. I learn best by doing.

With just a little modification, the analogy works just fine. I learned to fly a Cessna 152, but that wouldn't have qualified me to fly a twin engine Cessna w/o add'l classroom time....let alone anything resembling a commercial airliner. Goff came out of an entirely different system in college than what any team in the pros run. There's plenty of classroom learning he can do prior to getting thrown to the wolves.

Has he reached the saturation point for such learning....none of us know. But as much as I am not a particularly strong Fisher fan, he's forgotten more about football than 98% of the hyperventilating fans combined ever knew, and I'll accept his assessment over the latter any day.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Irrelevant! As if his performance was the only thing leading us to wins. Might be your worst response in this thread you're better than that comment!

But for your benefit he's 4-3. With 4 touchdowns and three interceptions and a 58% completion and a whopping 149 YPG. So if you're going to brag about a 4-3 record have fun tooting your horn about those offensive stats and telling us all how great they are and how he won those games for us. As I've said in other threads about him Keenum isn't bad enough to single handedly lose us games and he's not good enough to single handedly win us games either.
After the last decade of Rams football anyone who isn't happy with 4-3 needs a history lesson. As for the not good enough reference take a look at his stats from last year's TB game. You could make the argument that he won that game.