Fisher: Nothing brewing on draft deal ... yet/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher: Nothing brewing on draft deal ... yet
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7142/fisher-nothing-brewing-on-draft-trade-yet

Speaking to reporters at this week's owners meeting in Orlando, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher made it clear that any potential trade involving his team's No. 2 overall pick this year isn't likely to come to fruition in advance of May's draft.

“(We have) not really had any discussion with anybody, but that doesn’t mean to say we won’t," Fisher said.

Fisher also pointed out that if something were to materialize, it would be naive to expect to get a similar return to what the Rams got in 2012 when they traded the No. 2 overall pick to Washington, which then used the choice on quarterback Robert Griffin III. This year's No. 2 pick is the final piece of currency the Rams received in that deal.

"But I think it’s highly unlikely that even if we did trade out that would we get the value that we did the first time around," Fisher said.

Each draft has its own personality and that one was highlighted by the presence of two elite quarterbacks in Griffin and Stanford's Andrew Luck. Those players were highly coveted because of their position.

This year's draft offers no similar alternatives, though it is considered a deep draft from top to bottom. The lack of clear-cut franchise quarterbacks combined with the depth of the draft means teams are less likely to give up a bounty as the Redskins did to acquire Griffin.

“This draft is unique in that I think you’re going to get players in the middle part of the third round that potentially could start, and start very early for you," Fisher said. "It really depends on the positions, but there will be a lot of teams excited about who they have acquired in the first couple rounds because it’s such a deep draft."

It also means teams will be hesitant to give up those picks knowing they can get a potential starter they could have under control at relatively cheap prices for the next four years.

RamzFanz

Damnit
What the tea leaves tell me he's saying is he has a deal in place that will only trigger if Clowney is on the board.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jeff Fisher: Rams haven't talked trade for No. 2 pick

By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...iscussed-no-2-pick-trade?campaign=Twitter_atl

On Friday's edition of the "Around The League Podcast," Kevin Patra predicted the St. Louis Rams will end up trading out of the No. 2 spot in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Speaking to reporters at this week's NFL Annual Meeting, coach Jeff Fisher said there's nothing brewing on that front just yet.

"(We have) not really had any discussion with anybody," Fisher said, via ESPN.com, "but that doesn't mean to say we won't."

Fisher conceded it's "highly unlikely" the Rams will receiver the same value in a trade offer as they did with the Robert Griffin III blockbuster two years ago.

He's doing his best to pump up the draft stock of Jadeveon Clowney, though, telling reporters he's learned over the years that NFL teams can never have enough pass rushers.

"And I think not only us, but other teams that are in our situation," Fisher said, via the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, "are creative enough to find ways to get (Clowney) on the field and put him in position to make plays."

Fisher bristled at the notion that Clowney's disappointing production at South Carolina last season is a red flag for his NFL prospects.

"Not if you watch the games, it's not," Fisher continued. "Because the effort's there. You've got to give offenses credit, too."

If the Rams do hold onto the No. 2 pick, Fisher hinted that his front office will pass on Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins.

"I think with what we have on the roster right now, we can provide Sam (Bradford) with the talent to where we can win a lot of games," Fisher explained. "We're expecting improvement (from the wide receiver corps)."

NFL Media's "Mock Draft Central" projects St. Louis to pull the trigger on an offensive tackle such as Auburn's Greg Robinson or Texas A&M's Jake Matthews.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
In this draft, it's hard to commit to any one player that high. We've been hearing it'll likely lead up to draft day before a deal is struck. I don't see many reasons to why that will change.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
No body is going to trade for that pick till the Texans do their thing. It's going to be a busy few minutes between the Texans pick and when the card has to be turned in on pick 2.

SierraRam

Recreational User
What the tea leaves tell me he's saying is he has a deal in place that will only trigger if Clowney is on the board.
Could be. Is Atlanta's still in play if Clowney's there? Their local sports talk has them sitting tight at 6 and taking Mack

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
No body is going to trade for that pick till the Texans do their thing. It's going to be a busy few minutes between the Texans pick and when the card has to be turned in on pick 2.

Agree.

The day before the draft teams must be talking scenarios with each other.

For example, the Rams and Falcons put the basics for a trade discussion together in advance of the #1 overall pick... If the pick goes as expected they start talking from an understood position.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Yup, they will decide what happens for the next few selections for sure. If they don't take Manziel I expect to see the Rams pull off a deal for a team that wants him.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Yup, they will decide what happens for the next few selections for sure. If they don't take Manziel I expect to see the Rams pull off a deal for a team that wants him.
Okay, how far you willing to drop? Mid round?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree with the above. I do not see a high #2 first round selection being traded on the cheap. Snead & Fisher fully know the value of selecting the best overall prospect after the Texans do whatever, is a great opportunity that may never come again to them. Sure it would be nice to gain a high second but it also will move you down the board in the first, but you just do not trash all that priceless value the prospects of a player like a Pead or Quick.

Okay, how far you willing to drop? Mid round?
All depends on what you get in trade for the #2...

Could be. Is Atlanta's still in play if Clowney's there? Their local sports talk has them sitting tight at 6 and taking Mack
I see a problem with this thinking myself ...Jags are going to a new 34 defense style the HC is a defensive coach....Mack would have to be very high on all boards. Heck Maylock has him rated way above Jadeveon. If the Texans select DE Jadeveon & Rams take an OT then The Jags IMO will go with pass rushing OSLB'er Mack & seek a QB later in the draft.

Where does that leave the Falcons with two teams yet to select...without a bona fide pass rusher period ? Falcons have built a playoff team roster missing a few pieces. One big big piece is a pass rusher. I still think that Atlanta stays put & gambles.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I agree with the above. I do not see a high #2 first round selection being traded on the cheap. Snead & Fisher fully know the value of selecting the best overall prospect after the Texans do whatever, is a great opportunity that may never come again to them. Sure it would be nice to gain a high second but it also will move you down the board in the first, but you just do not trash all that priceless value the prospects of a player like a Pead or Quick.

All depends on what you get in trade for the #2...

I see a problem wit this thinking...Jags are going to a 34 defense the HC is a defensive coach....Mack would have to be very high on their board. If the Texans select DE Jadeveon & Rams take an OT then The Jags IMO will go with pass rushing OSLB'er Mack & seek a QB later in the draft. Where does that leave the Falcons with two teams yet to select...without a bona fide pass rusher period ? Falcons have built a playoff team roster missing a few pieces. One big big piece is a pass rusher.
They are also missing protection for Ryan. So a tackle could be a choice if they dont trade up and clowney and mack are gone.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
They are also missing protection for Ryan. So a tackle could be a choice if they dont trade up and clowney and mack are gone.
I agree that they could go OT...But the reason for the that weak 2013 Falcon OL was injuries & having to play rookies. They also have drafted several OL'ers over the last few years like starting enter Peter Konz 2nd rd.2012, starting OLT Lamar Holmes 3rd rd./2012(Rookie Holmes Started in place of injured Sam Baker @LT) & starting some last season ORG but is really a ORT Mike Jonson 3rd rd/2011.

Falcons have been busy in free agency too with two signings UFA's in former KC's starting ORG Jon Asamoah & former first round pick of the starting ORT Bears/Bucs Gabe Carimi ...Falcons also have all pro OLG Justin Blalock.

In conclusion the interior Falcon OL has starters Konz-Blalock & Asamoah thats an excellent Ol cadre. The OT's have young high draft selections Carimi & Johnson fighting to start with last yrs rookie back ups Ryan Schraeder & Terren Jones also looking for a spot. The only real concern question mark is @ OLT post...where second yr OLT Lamar Holmes & vet Sam Baker will be in competition. If Baker is fully healed from that early season knee injury he has been very good for Ryan in the past five seasons when healthy but the Falcons have now got the former 3rd rd.selection Holmes with 15 starts under his belt & he has shown good promise. Bottom like this OL is a very good OL that does not have any current openings in it!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I agree that they could go OT...But the reason for the that weak 2013 Falcon OL was injuries & having to play rookies. They also have drafted several OL'ers over the last few years like starting enter Peter Konz 2nd rd.2012, starting OLT Lamar Holmes 3rd rd./2012(Rookie Holmes Started in place of injured Sam Baker @LT) & starting some last season ORG but is really a ORT Mike Jonson 3rd rd/2011.

Falcons have been busy in free agency too with two signings UFA's in former KC's starting ORG Jon Asamoah & former first round pick of the starting ORT Bears/Bucs Gabe Carimi ...Falcons also have all pro OLG Justin Blalock.

In conclusion the interior Falcon OL has starters Konz-Blalock & Asamoah thats an excellent Ol cadre. The OT's have young high draft selections Carimi & Johnson fighting to start with last yrs rookie back ups Ryan Schraeder & Terren Jones also looking for a spot. The only real concern question mark is @ OLT post...where second yr OLT Lamar Holmes & Sam Baker will be in competition. If Baker is fully healed from that early season knee injury he has been very good for Ryan in the past five seasons when healthy but the Falcons have now got the former 3rd rd.selection Holmes with 15 starts under his belt & he has shown good promise. Bottom like this OL is a very good OL that does not have any current openings in it!

I agree. The Falcons appear geared up to take a pass rusher, IMO.

Looking at that team; they ABSOLUTELY STINK rushing the passer.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I see a problem with this thinking myself ...Jags are going to a new 34 defense style the HC is a defensive coach....Mack would have to be very high on all boards. Heck Maylock has him rated way above Jadeveon. If the Texans select DE Jadeveon & Rams take an OT then The Jags IMO will go with pass rushing OSLB'er Mack & seek a QB later in the draft.

Where does that leave the Falcons with two teams yet to select...without a bona fide pass rusher period ? Falcons have built a playoff team roster missing a few pieces. One big big piece is a pass rusher. I still think that Atlanta stays put & gambles.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's why I was asking. Clowney fits for ATL, but the Jags will jump if he's still there. IMveryHO

Most teams are just slingin' poop right now anyway!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree. The Falcons appear geared up to take a pass rusher, IMO.

Looking at that team; they ABSOLUTELY STINK rushing the passer.

Can you name me the last time the Falcons drafted a good DE that started & applied pass rushing pressure???

Patrick Kerney drafted last century!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Can you name me the last time the Falcons drafted a good DE that started & applied pass rushing pressure???

Patrick Kerney drafted last century!

Wow!

My first reaction to your question was John Abraham. But he was drafted by the Jets and plays LB? (I think).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wow!

My first reaction to your question was John Abraham. But he was drafted by the Jets and plays LB? (I think).

Yep drafted in 2000 as an OSLB'er he did play DE for the Falcons 2008 thru 2012. The Falcons traded a first rounder for Abraham who I have always loved to see rush the passer! Abraham (y)is a class act!

Memphis Ram

Legend

In conclusion the interior Falcon OL has starters Konz-Blalock & Asamoah thats an excellent Ol cadre. The OT's have young high draft selections Carimi & Johnson fighting to start with last yrs rookie back ups Ryan Schraeder & Terren Jones also looking for a spot. The only real concern question mark is @ OLT post...where second yr OLT Lamar Holmes & vet Sam Baker will be in competition. If Baker is fully healed from that early season knee injury he has been very good for Ryan in the past five seasons when healthy but the Falcons have now got the former 3rd rd.selection Holmes with 15 starts under his belt & he has shown good promise. Bottom like this OL is a very good OL that does not have any current openings in it!

I visit a couple of Falcons boards and from what I've read Konz has been a major disappointment to date. Some think he may be a bust.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I visit a couple of Falcons boards and from what I've read Konz has been a major disappointment to date. Some think he may be a bust.

Yes I have heard some of that too.... but from what I can discern that was mostly but not all based off the bad OL performance of 2013 which I have to admit was bad. I watched teams load up over center myself and Konz did have serious issues with the power bull rushes... I will not disagree.

I tend to think that Konz with the OT's settled both Blalock & Asamoah beside him should help him out. It seemed to me that the OG's were busy assisting the weak OT's much of the time thus allowing the middle of the OL to be overpowered as we all know thats where Ryan just could not step up to make any throws. We will see they did resign their back up center Hawley just in case.