Fisher Not Budging on QB Decision/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher not budging on QB decision
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_143a4d6a-4029-5e9a-b7de-61a3b23c6adb.html

Based on his performance Sunday in Tampa, Austin Davis might win in a landslide if he ran for mayor this week. Nevertheless, Rams coach Jeff Fisher isn’t budging.

“If Shaun is healthy and able to play, and not gonna subject himself to re-injuring it and making this worse, then Shaun’s our quarterback and Austin’s our backup,” Fisher said.

“That’s just the way it is.”

No wiggle room there?

“No,” came the reply. “And you know what? I won’t visit with you guys (Tuesday), but I will on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. So you can ask me again Wednesday, Thursday, Friday if you want. You’re gonna get the same answer.”

(Fisher does not meet with reporters on Tuesdays but does so on Wednesday through Friday.)

It was then suggested that maybe Fisher should sleep on that decision for a day or two, mull it over.

“I’m not sleeping on it,” Fisher answered. “I got it. I’m proud of Austin, and the way the team rallied around him. It was really exciting in the locker room for him.”

True. It’s just that Fisher still believes that a healthy Hill gives the Rams the best chance to win.

“You haven’t seen Shaun,” Fisher said. “Shaun was five for five against a good Minnesota defense here.”

That’s how Hill started the Minnesota game before suffering a thigh injury in the second quarter. To some observers, Fisher saying “you haven’t seen Shaun” is exactly the point. Hill has thrown a total of 30 passes in game situations for the Rams — and that’s including preseason play.

If he were established here as the Rams’ starting quarterback, that would be one thing. But he’s not. Hill didn’t sign with the Rams until March 31 and threw only 13 passes in the three previous regular seasons with Detroit.

As for Davis, who was the fourth-team quarterback less than a month ago, he led the Rams to their first victory in a road opener in 13 seasons, 19-17 over Tampa Bay. He played with mistake-free precision and was very accurate, completing 76 percent of his passes (22 of 29).

He had ice in his veins over the final three series Sunday at Raymond James Stadium, leading the Rams on three field goal drives and converting four third-down plays in the process.

“He was in complete control,” Fisher said. “He did a real nice job checking out of some things, and getting us into some things. The line of scrimmage was stacked (Sunday), and their opinion was probably that Austin wasn’t going to beat them with his arm. And he did.

“He made some great plays, made some great throws. He understood exactly what we needed to do.”

Still, the entire argument about whether a healthy Hill should start over Davis probably is moot this week because indications are that Hill won’t be 100 percent for Sunday’s home game against Dallas.

Fisher pretty much stated that Sunday evening when asked about Hill’s status.

“This week (off) really helped him, and another week will help him, and hopefully put this thing behind him,” Fisher said.

Which was pretty much an admission that Hill is still a week away — that it’s a two-week injury. So if Hill sits out the Dallas game, the Rams then have their bye week. By then, there should be no doubt about Hill’s status. Barring a setback, he should be fully healthy for the team’s Oct. 5 game at Philadelphia — the first game after the bye.

So the fact that the bye week is looming after Dallas could have a bearing on deciding who starts Sunday.

“Well, it would be a factor,” Fisher said. “Again, this is not coach-speak. It’s day to day. We’re going to see how he is.”

Fisher said there is a chance Hill could get some work in Wednesday’s practice, the first practice of the Dallas game week. He said it’s more probable, however, that Hill waits till Thursday to get back on the practice field.

“Shaun wasn’t set back at all during the warmups, during his test before pregame warmups in Tampa,” Fisher said. “So he’s still rehabbing.”

If nothing else, Davis will have great memories of his day at Tampa, especially that 27-yard completion with less than 2 minutes remaining on third-and-9 to Austin Pettis — a throw that put the Rams in position to kick the winning field goal.

Davis absorbed a big hit from Tampa Bay defensive lineman Da’Quan Bowers while making that throw. Then came the youthful exuberance on the sidelines after Greg Zuerlein’s field goal gave the Rams a 19-17 lead with 38 seconds to play.

Shouting, fist-pumping, Davis worked his way down the sidelines exchanging hugs, high fives, handshakes with running backs Zac Stacy and Benny Cunningham, quarterbacks Hill and Case Keenum, tight ends coach Rob Boras, tight end Jared Cook. And then a slap on the helmet from defensive captain James Laurinaitis.

Call it Austin Davis’ victory stroll. And lastly, a game ball delivered directly from Fisher in the locker room.

As Fisher has mentioned on several occasions, he’s proud of Davis.

But Fisher also added Monday: “When Shaun comes back he’ll win a lot of games for us.”

bskrilla

Starter
I agree that Hill should start if healthy. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if Hill wasn't quite "healthy" yet this Sunday. They have the benefit of having some confidence in Davis now and not needing to rush Hill back if he's still not 100%.