Fisher no fan of new offseason rules

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BY JIM THOMAS
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... z1pDryYLac

Even in the midst of free agency, coach Jeff Fisher would like to get to started on the coaching part of football. But the new collective bargaining agreement has pushed back the start of the offseason program and condensed its duration.

As a first-year coach in St. Louis, Fisher and the Rams get to begin their offseason program early. But under the new CBA, "early" means April 2, which is still 2½ weeks away.

"They refer to it as ‘phase one,’ and for two weeks the players are just simply permitted to condition, to lift weights, and to run," Fisher said. "Contact between the coaching staff and the players is prohibited for the first two weeks."

That changes the third week of April, when the Rams can hold a "voluntary" minicamp for veteran players. The timing, as Fisher sees it, couldn’t be worse.

"That comes during draft meetings, and to me [hil]that doesn’t make any sense[/hil]," he said. "But we are going to try to get some work done the third week (of April) with our football team in the meetings and on the practice field over the course of a couple of days."

But for now, the Rams aren’t allowed to have meetings with players, not even quarterback Sam Bradford.

"To be honest with you, [hil]I’m disappointed,[/hil]" Fisher said. "We would love to have our quarterback upstairs and get him involved in the system, (just) as he would like to be up there. But we can’t have him in the building. He can come and lift, but [hil]you can’t give your quarterback an opportunity to get a head start on your offense[/hil] before you have your voluntary veteran minicamp. That’s the biggest change in how the offseason program is set up."

Fisher said the Rams can’t even give Bradford the new playbook of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer at this point.

"And in a quarterback-driven league, it would make sense that you could at least be given an opportunity to develop your quarterbacks or meet with them during the offseason," Fisher said. "Hopefully these things will be revisited. Again, [hil]I’m not being critical[/hil] of the new collective bargaining agreement; I’m just simply saying that’s the biggest change that I notice from 2011 until now."

************​

:neh: . . . "not critical." Just say it, man. Say, "this is horse shit."

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Well he sure sounds right about having mini-camps and draft stuff going on at the same time. Plus, you factor in just how much hes gonna be involved and you understand why he doesnt like that.

steferfootball

Starter
I don't understand the rule. It inhibits the ability of hard working people to work hard.

Did the NFLPA put this in?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
:neh: . . . "not critical." Just say it, man. Say, "this is horse shit."

Yeah - pretty obvious that was what he thinks. And he's right.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
steferfootball said:
I don't understand the rule. It inhibits the ability of hard working people to work hard.

Did the NFLPA put this in?

I know. Is this sports imitating life these days? Kinda like the IRS code.