Fisher Losing Faith In Zeurlein?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think moving the extra point may have a positive effect on the good kickers. The Leg has been nailing those strait down the middle. That many extra makes becoming "automatic" has to help a kickers mind set when he trots out to collect a mid range three instead of one. Distance has never been his problem. Seems like he kicks with same technique whether its from 15 or 65. I won't be surprised if this is his best year.

I think in the Steelers' game I was siding with Fish......I felt like a miss at mid field hurts the team more than a make helps. It wasn't a disrespect against the Defense....It was lack of faith in the offense to be able to flip the field again in a field position game.
I was talking about this the other day. I think the XP try change will help GZ tremendously. I think it already has and I agree this should be his best year yet. I was down on GZ the last couple of seasons because of his propensity to miss the intermediate kicks sometimes but this new rule plays in his favor.

As far as Fisher not having confidence in GZ, I don't buy it. I think his decisions have been based on game situations. Now, I would of made the attempt in the Washington game, didn't see much to lose in that situation. But in the Pittsburgh game, a miss increases the probability of Pittsburgh getting points. I was torn in real time as to what to do so I can understand whatever decision was made there. If Hekker puts that punt out at the 1, and we end up getting the ball back in good field position, we probably wouldn't be talking about this now.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Remember the Washington field is a nightmare to kick on... last year GZ had a rough time of it there. No reason to possibly shake his confidence on a long shot when you think you will need him later.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
My boy will be fine. I still believe he has the strongest leg in the league. Still waiting for him to get a shot at a 70 yarder. He's been on point this year.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Just speculation on my part, but has anyone else noticed Fishers reluctance to utilize Zeurlein right before the half in both the Washington and Steelers game?

In Washington they have 11 seconds before halftime and zero timeouts. Ball is roughly at the 40 (from memory).

Instead of putting some potential points on the board, what do they do? Take a shot down the middle of the field and time runs out.

Against the Steelers they are again in FG range for Zeurlein. Instead of trying a long FG, they elect to punt which ultimately ends up in the endzone for a touchback.

Sometimes you play the field position game. I get that. But when your offense is struggling, sometimes these guys need a little moral booster and see some points on the board. You got a kicker with one of the strongest legs in the game. USE it.

Just throwing some personal observations out there. Dont read into it too far. It just seems like to me we missed a couple opportunities to gain some momentum going into the half.

The one in Washington was actually closer to the 47 yard line I believe. So it would of been over 60 outside. That one I get.
But at home in the dome I agree with you, was a little bit of a head scratcher for sure.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Does anyone maybe wonder if we have had a few blocked in practice and he is not happy with out line in long distance, low angle kicks? Just a thought.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I find it to be poor coaching on our part. With our offense performing like it was in both of the above scenarios anytime we are in scoring range we need to capitalize.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I find it to be poor coaching on our part. With our offense performing like it was in both of the above scenarios anytime we are in scoring range we need to capitalize.
Well, technically, we're within scoring range from the opponent's 44 (a 62 yd field goal). So, if our offense can't get anything done, and has demonstrated throughout the game that they can't get anything done, do you risk a low-percentage field goal? Keeping in mind that our defense has demonstrated the ability to make some stops and stall some drives, do you risk it?

Because *if* Zuerlein misses, the opponent gets the ball at our 49. They only need about 10 yards to get 3 points of their own if they have an average field goal kicker.

So is it more practical to pin them back and rely on your more reliable defense, or risk missing a field goal and give up potentially 3 points?

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
When your offense can't score points then its obviously time to kick field goals.
Analyze all you want but they lost the game so missing a field goal would have made no difference.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When your offense can't score points then its obviously time to kick field goals.
Analyze all you want but they lost the game so missing a field goal would have made no difference.
It kind of does make a difference, because the score differential could have been greater if they capitalized on the field position gift we gave them (via a missed FG).
Hindsight is great and all, but a bigger gap in score would have changed the way both teams played.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think the decision not to kick is a good indication of the whole offensive mentality in the last two games. Timid, put your head back in your turtle shell mentality. There are two things that are working, your defense and your STs. One that isn't, your offense. Trust the two that are working. I don't know if this is a mindset left over from the GSOT for me but I don't think I've ever written a criticism on here for the team not going for the score. 4th and inches on their 48? Long field goal or punt? I'm much more inclined to defend coaching decisions that go for the victory. Sometimes a punt is a good field position decision, a way to reset. And in some situations like the ones we are talking about its just a gentle turnover, a mental victory for the other team and a passed opportunity for the offense. The way you coach and the decisions you make do affect the mindset of your team. The way we play right now we won't even run a ten yard route on a 3rd and ten.
That's just my opinion of course. What a way to light a fire and turn around a listless team than a big field goal in that situation though.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Arm chair coaching, I immediately thought, go for the FG. I can't read into Fisher's mind, nor reasoning in those circumstances. The only glimpse, in his presser, is that Fisher, really wanted to score TD's, and not only get points from GZ. If it's me, I kick them, it puts us in a better position to catch up, or win.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
1219.jpg
Ok what's this?

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I have completely blocked out the Washington game, but i thought that Fisher's decision to either kick or punt vs Pittsburgh was a difficult judgement call and wasn't really a factor either way.
I have Zuerlein on my FF team so i would have kicked it from everywhere all day. :)

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
IMO some may be looking into this a bit deeper than need be. It was a field position move. He misses, Pitt set up almost at midfield.

Young GZ has been good so far, if Fisher is indeed doubting anyone I'd say Legarron is at the bottom half of the list.

Cook on the hand....

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I don't think it had anything to with Greg at all, Fisher was simply playing for field position which I understand. However, I don't like the decision because 57 yards is well within Greg's capabilities at home in the dome and it could have had a huge impact on the game. If it was 9-6 at half, we tie the score 9-9 in the third, with Vick in the game Pitt didn't look like the had a chance at scoring without the benefit of a turnover. I don't think we even attempt that pass play to Kendricks that got picked off in a 9-9 game.