Fisher Kicks Media out of Locker Room

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1) The Rams had low expectations heading into the year with most in the media picking 4-6 wins.

2) It does not show a lack of leadership to meet with your team in private away from the media.

3) Not talking to the media is not a terrible decision unless you are in the media.

For these reasons the writer appears to have a sore vagina.
Seriously, media tool bags, it is not about you.
I was about to say the same thing. NO ONE outside of the fan-base predicted anything but failure. Most were saying that despite the picking of a franchise QB (this was before they started dogging Goff), our defense had regressed (losing Jenkins, McCloud, Long, and Laurenaitus) and our Oline was horrifically bad. I think Fisher needs to get fired myself, but it is no weakness to want a private meeting with his team after the loss.

What this really is about, is that Bonsignore wanted to drink the players tears, so he could rip the teams guts out for his next column, the SONOFA..:gtfo:

FRO

Legend
I think coaching is more important in football than in any other sport. I would rather have a world class coach than a world class (insert any position here - even quarterback)

Fisher isn't completely terrible at it, he is merely average. His real problem, in my humble opinion, is that he is too egotistical to recognize his own shortcomings. He needs to make a changes - actual changes. Not tougher talk or better effort - actual adjustments to the way he has always done things. To quote the late great Michael Jackson, he needs to "start with the man in the mirror."
Outstanding point.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Fisher isn't completely terrible at it, he is merely average. His real problem, in my humble opinion, is that he is too egotistical to recognize his own shortcomings. He needs to make a changes - actual changes. Not tougher talk or better effort - actual adjustments to the way he has always done things. To quote the late great Michael Jackson, he needs to "start with the man in the mirror."
You mean, like, firing his OC (twice), firing his DC (twice), firing 5 assistant coaches last year, getting rid of Finnegan, Long, Laurinaitis, etc., cutting Sensabaugh, trading Bradford, trading Foles, drafting almost an entire new O-line, taking a chance on drafting an injured RB who won OROY, moving up to draft a QB #1 overall, drafting a bunch of new receivers this year, benching players who break rules, holding others accountable (see: Joyner), and becoming more flexible with his offense?

Or was there something else he should do to combat that stubborn ego of his?

Ellard80

Legend
You mean, like, firing his OC (twice), firing his DC (twice), firing 5 assistant coaches last year, getting rid of Finnegan, Long, Laurinaitis, etc., cutting Sensabaugh, trading Bradford, trading Foles, drafting almost an entire new O-line, taking a chance on drafting an injured RB who won OROY, moving up to draft a QB #1 overall, drafting a bunch of new receivers this year, benching players who break rules, holding others accountable (see: Joyner), and becoming more flexible with his offense?

I really don't think Fish holds anyone accountable.. this is one of his biggest downfalls.

I like how he scolded the team to be safe traveling around campus... then we saw countless videos of them doing otherwise. His teams plays this way because.. he is this way.

I mean look at Joyner... Joyner acts like a baby says he is going to quit. Fisher holds his hand through it.

Listen I've coached and been in charge of people of all ages and understand that knowing when to coddle someone and when to bust them in the chops is a subtle art.

But at some point Fisher needs to try not being such a nice guy... being a nice guy isn't working/

TexasRam

Legend
I think Fisher does a lot of things real well for an NFL head coach. He's able to consistently put together really innovative and productive Defenses and special teams year after year.

Where Fisher struggles and why he always stays at 7-9 is his run first scared offensive philosophy. The run at the end of the first half is the perfect example. They are selling out to stop the run because you only need 1 yard. It's a risk to throw it there but a rollout pass would be the best call there given what the defense is expecting.

If Fisher had mauling Olineman that couldn't be stopped then sure run the ball. But when you have a running game that is pretty horrible all year and cant get more then 2ypc with a Todd Gurley then you need to abandon your run first mentality. This is where Fisher Fails. He is stuck in a belief that running the ball is the best way to win football games. It may be for a team with a great Oline. But it is not for this team.

In fact I would say based on our pass protection which is getting better each week, we should be a pass first team, pass to open the run. Fisher could never conceive of such an idea. He is stuck in his belief system which is flawed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I really don't think Fish holds anyone accountable.. this is one of his biggest downfalls.

I like how he scolded the team to be safe traveling around campus... then we saw countless videos of them doing otherwise. His teams plays this way because.. he is this way.

I mean look at Joyner... Joyner acts like a baby says he is going to quit. Fisher holds his hand through it.

Listen I've coached and been in charge of people of all ages and understand that knowing when to coddle someone and when to bust them in the chops is a subtle art.

But at some point Fisher needs to try not being such a nice guy... being a nice guy isn't working/
I just gave you several examples of him holding people accountable. He fired several coaches over the years, and cut several players. How he handled Joyner in camp is how he determined was the best way to handle him. He's still here, right (Joyner)? Hard Knocks gives you insight to his management skills? lol. I guess he should have cut Austin and Britt right on the spot, huh? Instead he put them on public display in front of the whole team in a teachable moment.

So now he just needs to stop being so nice.
K. He kicked all the videographers and photographers out of the locker room today.
Why do you think he did that? So he could hand out game balls and lollipops?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is where Fisher Fails. He is stuck in a belief that running the ball is the best way to win football games. It may be for a team with a great Oline. But it is not for this team.
They threw the ball 32 times and ran it 16 times today. It's what was working.
Last week, 31 pass attempts, 31 rush attempts.

It's called balance. Every coach in the league strives for it.

KayJay

Starter
WRONG! Keenum went 27 of 32 for 321 yards and 3 TD's Today and rushed for a TD on Top of that! He's getting better every game! I doubt Goff would do better!!
Keenum isn't in our future, I keep stressing this. So therefore not going to the SB with or with out Keenum serves no benefit but to win games and keep people happy. I get it, nobody likes to lose. But not playing Goff is kinda well...dumb. If not that, the amount of picks we gave up are dumb.

We are at .500, could get worse, could get better as time goes on. But in the end, unless we win a Superbowl or at least get to a conference championship, playing Keenum will have served no purpose. Now Goff will take his lumps next year instead of this year. It will be a bitter sweet moment if we end up at 8-8.

Ellard80

Legend
I just gave you several examples of him holding people accountable. He fired several coaches over the years, and cut several players. How he handled Joyner in camp is how he determined was the best way to handle him. He's still here, right (Joyner)? Hard Knocks gives you insight to his management skills? lol. I guess he should have cut Austin and Britt right on the spot, huh? Instead he put them on public display in front of the whole team in a teachable moment.

So now he just needs to stop being so nice.
K. He kicked all the videographers and photographers out of the locker room today.
Why do you think he did that? So he could hand out game balls and lollipops?

Are you playing devils advocate? Or do you really believe this?

I never said he should cut anyone. His teams play undisciplined - they always have. There is much much more evidence to support my conclusion of his coaching style then "the we don't really know" theory you are presenting. He put Austin and Britt on the spot in front of the whole team... and told them "don't do this" and they went out and did it anyway. OR when he cut a meaningless 10th string receiver to prove a point? He appears to be exactly who I always thought he was... I guess everything is just a façade and media creation...

His "7-9" bullshit line was purely that an all his actions after that just confirmed my perception of him. I'd love to play for Fish - he is a great guy. But he doesn't know how to get people to get their shit together. Not when he has been here. The dumb penalites, dumb plays at key moments. They have been a constant with him - regardless of which players are here.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I never said he should cut anyone. His teams play undisciplined - they always have. There is much much more evidence to support my conclusion of his coaching style then "the we don't really know" theory you are presenting. He put Austin and Britt on the spot in front of the whole team... and told them "don't do this" and they went out and did it anyway. OR when he cut a meaningless 10th string receiver to prove a point? He appears to be exactly who I always thought he was... I guess everything is just a façade and media creation...

His "7-9" bullcrap line was purely that an all his actions after that just confirmed my perception of him. I'd love to play for Fish - he is a great guy. But he doesn't know how to get people to get their crap together. Not when he has been here. The dumb penalites, dumb plays at key moments. They have been a constant with him - regardless of which players are here.
You're all over the map now.

I told you that he fired numerous coaches for underachieving. I told you he cut players who were underachieving (high draft picks and veterans).
That's holding people accountable.

And I asked if that gave you insight into his management skills. To me, that says exactly nothing.

And you yourself said there's a fine line between coddling and "busting people in the chops." Should he have busted him in the chops there?

Why do you think he excluded the media from the locker room? And why did he bench two of our best players one game for violating team rules? (against SF).

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
KIcking the media out is a GOOD thing! Only the media doesn't know it....Vinny, grow up, mate!

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame

His "7-9" bullcrap line was purely that an all his actions after that just confirmed my perception of him. I'd love to play for Fish - he is a great guy. But he doesn't know how to get people to get their crap together. Not when he has been here. The dumb penalites, dumb plays at key moments. They have been a constant with him - regardless of which players are here.

Accountability. Fisher is infallible and refuses to own up to his shortcomings. I think the players have taken this kind of approach too, or they themselves aren't held to a high standard either. The bonehead penalties, the key miscues at crucial moments of games. That shit is just not winning football. The GOOD teams don't make those errors... this team makes them, consistently. And what is the one constant in the equation?

Sure, he fired some coaches and got rid of a few players... but you could argue he stuck with those same coaches and players longer than he should have. Getting rid of them may have been more about saving his own ass and not holding people accountable.

I still remember the "go-cart incident" with Britt and Quick on Hard Knocks. MAYBE Fisher did more than just make it a laughable highlight reel for the team... MAYBE he lit the guys up and gave 'em a smack on the wrist. But it sure left a bad taste in my mouth seeing them laughing about it in the film room. IMO that was reckless and they could have injured someone or themselves. Is that an acceptable way for your 2 "veteran WRs" to conduct themselves? What kind of message is that sending to young guys like Cooper and Spruce, etc. Being a fucking bonehead is OK, cuz coach is going to laugh about it? Sure, he cut a scrub WR for bringing a chick into the dorms... but you got to be consistent with everyone in that locker room.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil

And Joyner is having a brilliant season in the slot corner/outside linebacker hybrid role he plays.

Like it or not some players need to be balled at others just need an arm round the shoulder.

Seems like an odd thing to criticise Fisher for.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I like how some bring up hard knocks as an indicator of how fisher manages players. It's a damn reality show. It's purpose is to bring entertainment and to show basic principles of how a training camp is run. Most of it is scripted. Even Lemarcus Joyner says so

http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...-lamarcus-joyner-laughs-off-hard-knocks-scene

"That's why I don't watch TV," Joyner said, smiling and shaking his head. "It's entertainment for a reason. None of it is real. Man, I love this place, my coaches love me. That's just a little passion; that wasn't nothing serious. ... Coach Fisher wasn't paying me any attention. They know I love this game. I'll have ups and downs. I'm a little more emotional than most guys, I guess. My mom raised me. It's all love. I'm here."

Also how convinient that Britt and Quick had a camera in their cart.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't think stubbornness means that you forgo the draft - plus theoretically the player personnel moves are GM duties although - to your point - I would guess Fisher has both hands pretty deep in that pot.

Did he fire 2 OCs? I thought Shotty quit. Either way - he replaced both with in house guys who ran basically the same old system.

Player accountability? I hope there was more to it than what we saw on hard knocks but all I saw was him cut a camp body and try to make it look like it could be anyone - meanwhile, the talented players just act how they want. Kenny Britt and BQ nearly kill themselves in the cart - were they held accountable? Joyner basically quit out there and how was he held accountable again? We continue to be one of the most undisciplined teams in football - as we have every year under JF. What accountability are we seeing?

Now - on the other hand - Joyner has played well. Givens and JJ missed a big game 4 or 5 years ago - so I guess that's something. Yet here we are blowing up victory formation like a bunch of babies out there and still beating ourselves year after year.

If we are to give fisher credit (or blame) for all of sneeds moves, his grade improves in my mind - although still not to the point of retention.

Ellard80

Legend
And Joyner is having a brilliant season in the slot corner/outside linebacker hybrid role he plays.

Like it or not some players need to be balled at others just need an arm round the shoulder.

Seems like an odd thing to criticise Fisher for.

I actually said the same thing.. my point is everyone appears coddled - unless they are expendable.

I'm just looking at the undisciplined product on the field. If some of you don't see the correlation that's fine - I get it.

But it sure makes a lot of sense to me. It also explains to me why players love to play for Fisher.

I bet he is a great coach to play for- I just don't think he knows how to instill poise and discipline in his team.

Ellard80

Legend
I like how some bring up hard knocks as an indicator of how fisher manages players. It's a damn reality show. It's purpose is to bring entertainment and to show basic principles of how a training camp is run. Most of it is scripted. Even marcus Joyner says so

http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...-lamarcus-joyner-laughs-off-hard-knocks-scene

"That's why I don't watch TV," Joyner said, smiling and shaking his head. "It's entertainment for a reason. None of it is real. Man, I love this place, my coaches love me. That's just a little passion; that wasn't nothing serious. ... Coach Fisher wasn't paying me any attention. They know I love this game. I'll have ups and downs. I'm a little more emotional than most guys, I guess. My mom raised me. It's all love. I'm here."

Also how convenient that Britt and Quick had a camera in their cart.

Undoubtedly there is some truth to that - but lol....

I heard what Marcus Joyner said multiple times... he even told Fisher he was going to quit. He also wouldn't participate at practice and the coach called him out.

Yeah that was all just scripted and part of the show.

Hard knocks doesn't show you the truth of everything - of course not. But it shows you some things - the players and coaches even commented how they forget the cameras are there.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher can kick the media out... he can kick everyone out.

Just wish it would change things... I'm not confident this latest "gesture" will.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Keenum isn't in our future, I keep stressing this. So therefore not going to the SB with or with out Keenum serves no benefit but to win games and keep people happy. I get it, nobody likes to lose. But not playing Goff is kinda well...dumb. If not that, the amount of picks we gave up are dumb.

We are at .500, could get worse, could get better as time goes on. But in the end, unless we win a Superbowl or at least get to a conference championship, playing Keenum will have served no purpose. Now Goff will take his lumps next year instead of this year. It will be a bitter sweet moment if we end up at 8-8.
I have to disagree with that.

Is that fair to the other 52 players? Is that fair to the coaches, who are perpetually trying to prepare the team to win? Finally, does that help the team develop a winning culture?

When Goff is better than Keenum, that's when he should play.