Fisher: Keenum to start against Tampa Bay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Can't say I'm not disappointed, just win Keenum

lockdnram21

Legend
Did you watch the pre-season? Keenum took the majority off the first team reps and played with the first team on the field, he NEVER played a game with the 2nd or 3rd team. Are we to think that there is no difference in performance in that fact alone? And those stats that are quoted are pure BS based on who was on the field to begin with. Why not just start pulling random stats from random teams and random games? Why not just compare Roger Staubachs stats with Brett Favres? Unreal, many of Goffs mistakes were flukes and will never happen again, and some of those mistakes were flukes that happen to everyone at some point in time. Why don't you count or account for the passes that Goff through that were on target and undisputedly dropped by that target? Even Fisher doesn't defend his decision of sitting Goff by using those stats. Every pundit in the NFL would be all over him if he did something like that.
As far as Goff being able to do worse than Keenum? Really, 28-0, can't do ANY worse. I bet it doesn't take Goff two games and counting, once he gets to play of course, to make defenses pay for their 8 and 9 man fronts.
Even if u take away all the drops he still looked horrible

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
I wouldn't get to feisty with the dude who created this place...Just saying.

Alright, I hear you, and thanks for setting me straight. I haven't been around here too long, so I'm not yet totally aware of the dynamics or structure behind everything.

To reiterate and hopefully explain myself better, his comment rubbed me the wrong way, and so I pointed it out, and expressed my opinion on it poorly. I perceived his response as derisively sarcastic, and so I answered in kind.

That's how it went for me, and I only meant to stand my ground, and didn't mean to be especially disrespectful.

I'll accept that I was in the wrong on this one, so I'll apologize to X, specifically, and I apologize here to anyone else who found my lack of respect out of line.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the game ball came from overcoming his demons from week 1....just an assumption.
Like the demons of not getting in to the end zone?
Oops, wait a minute.

Just having fun here

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If Case has a poor outing this week, then he's probably getting killed in Arizona, so why wait for that debacle to play out. I put him on a game by game basis right now.

Plus, the more wentz wins, the more pressure to start goff. People will be saying that fish either picked the wrong guy or he's bringing him along too slowly. I realize that neither opinion is exactly fair or correct but it will be said alot if Case loses in Tampa and Carson wins again.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Not surprised. I agree with others who think we won't see Goff for a few more weeks at least. Winning will be the ultimate indicator of any change at QB in my opinion, but Keenum will have to improve also. The next two games are key for him as an individual. If Case starts to make a bunch of mistakes(turnovers) he'll get the hook IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That and what little we saw in training camp are the only comparisons we have right now. It's not necessarily a fair comparison, but people who say they can't imagine Goff being worse aren't imagining hard enough. The majority of what I have seen comparing Goff and Keenum, Goff has looked worse.

35/65
53.8%
369 yards
5.7 YPA
0 TDs
2 Ints
57.8 QB Rating
4.5 Points Per Game

Can you do worse than that? Yes. But the bar is set about as low as it can go.

Ellard80

Legend
Yeah not trying to pretend like its been decided that Wentz is better than Goff... because it's damn early.

But we know the track record of this franchise ability to fuck up drafts.

I always thought Wentz was the much better pick.

But I pray that I'm wrong.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah not trying to pretend like its been decided that Wentz is better than Goff... because it's damn early.

But we know the track record of this franchise ability to freak up drafts.

I always thought Wentz was the much better pick.

But I pray that I'm wrong.

Let's give it a season or so before the "I told you so's" start. ;)

Q729

Legend
tumblr_o4tvwz26GN1rki1t5o1_500.gif
Watership Down. Lol.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It'd be funny if Fisher started Goff after giving Keenum the game ball the previous game. Effed up. But funny.

A55VA6

Legend
I wonder if not starting is tougher on his confidence than starting and failing would be
I see where you're coming from but one of the things Fisher/Snead liked about Goff is that he's mentally tough and a hard worker. He sees the big picture and realizes he can be the QB here for 10+ years if he continues to work hard.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
35/65
53.8%
369 yards
5.7 YPA
0 TDs
2 Ints
57.8 QB Rating
4.5 Points Per Game

Can you do worse than that? Yes. But the bar is set about as low as it can go.

Keenum has the league's worst quarterback rating at 57.8 right now. I don't understand how Fisher continues to justify starting Keenum still.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Not surprised. I agree with others who think we won't see Goff for a few more weeks at least. Winning will be the ultimate indicator of any change at QB in my opinion, but Keenum will have to improve also. The next two games are key for him as an individual. If Case starts to make a bunch of mistakes(turnovers) he'll get the hook IMO.

I think this right here is hanging on Keenum big time. He's being way conservative, even with his limitations as a QB, he knows in the back of his mind that if he starts making mistakes that lead to turnovers too consistently he's gone.

This is true for pretty much any QB. But Case can see the light at the end of the tunnel. His only way to extend that tunnel is by playing conservative-mistake free football.

SAK11

Rookie
Even if u take away all the drops he still looked horrible

Horrible is one way to put it, and Fisher probably prefers for you to look at it that way to make his handling of Goff seem appropriate. The reality is, his preseason was up and down and he was let down by those around him. This does not excuse his poor decisions and lack of proper execution, but one must also understand that the limited amount we saw of Goff in the preseason is far too small a sample size to make a proper evaluation on him. I'm so tired of people making it seem as though he would've been completely overwhelmed by the regular season that it was unfathomable to imagine him starting. The same naysayers likely believed that Winston, by virtue of his lesser preseason, was nowhere enar ready for NFL action, and that Newton should've sat out a bunch of games in his rookie year because of his preseason struggles.

Inevitably, Goff was viewed as a top end prospect for a reason, so it would be silly to think sitting for a few games [please, let it just be a few] will ruin his long-term projection in this league. But, I've become so annoyed with Fisher in recent years that this is just another decision that eats at me. The Rams view themselves as contenders, they make a trade to get Goff and give up all those high picks only to have him sit on the bench in favor of Keenum, who was one of their QBs last season that wasn't enough of a difference maker which caused them to make the trade for Goff in the first place. Ugh.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
I may be wrong, But I believe THIS^ is exactly what Fisher said he was thinking of doing in a presser last week!
And if he does,this will be the absolute stupidest thing in the entire history of civilization.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And if he does,this will be the absolute stupidest thing in the entire history of civilization.
You sure about that?
You must not have seen Corey Feldman's music performance debut on the Today Show.