Fisher gives Schottenheimer Vote of Confidence/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher gives Schottenheimer vote of confidence
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1e615abc-917e-539d-8cbf-f0ab9dae173e.html

Coach Jeff Fisher gave offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer what sounded like a strong vote of confidence Tuesday in his wrap-up news conference at Rams Park.

“First off, I’m not anticipating any changes on the coaching staff,” Fisher said when asked about Schottenheimer’s status by the Post-Dispatch. “I think Brian is an outstanding play-caller. Outstanding play-caller. He’s very organized. He’s an excellent teacher. So you can’t put the record on his shoulders. That’d be very, very unfair.”

Fisher is very deliberate and puts a lot of effort into hiring members of his coaching staff. For example, he interviewed something like 10 candidates for the running backs coach job that went to Ben Sirmans in 2012.

So once they’re hired, Fisher is generally very loyal to his staff and changes are rare. In fact, 19 of the 20 original staff members hired in 2012 when Fisher arrived in St. Louis are still with the team.

Linebackers coach Blake Williams, the son of current defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, was not brought back following the 2012 season. Blake had served as the Rams’ de facto coordinator after his father’s one-year NFL suspension for his role in the “Bountygate” scandal in New Orleans.

And last season, after initially saying he anticipated no staff changes, Fisher fired the team’s defensive coordinator in 2013 — Tim Walton — after Gregg Williams became available and Fisher and Williams patched up their damaged relationship.

Walton wasn’t relieved of his duties until Super Bowl week a year ago, or a month after the conclusion of the regular season. So Fisher can always change his mind. But that doesn’t seem likely in the case of Schottenheimer, a frequent target of fans and some media members over the team’s offensive shortcomings.

The Rams finished 28th in total offense this season, which ranks teams according to yards per game. They ranked 30th last season. The 2014 Rams scored 31 offensive touchdowns this year compared to 32 in 2013.

“I think we’ve spent the better part of a year and half with three different quarterbacks,” Fisher said, referring to Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill and Austin Davis as replacements for an injured Sam Bradford.

“I’m not laying the blame on any one of them, but I think that’s a contributing factor. We’re playing a lot of young players. I expect the offensive line to be significantly better — some way, somehow — next year. We’ve got to do a better job protecting our quarterback.

“I would expect us to take a big step offensively. Losing Brian (Quick) was I think a significant loss the way he was playing early. Kenny (Britt) stepped up and played. ‘Cookie’ (tight end Jared Cook) has exactly the same numbers he did last year. I think as a staff we plan on, and one of the priorities, is getting Tavon (Austin) the ball more.”

Having continuity on the coaching staff, Fisher said, helps the process of making improvements.

“It allows you to sit down and look hard at what you’re doing and get better,” Fisher said. “I’ve been on staffs where there’s been continuity where we were able to do that.”

On Sunday, after the 20-6 season-ending loss to Seattle, Fisher bluntly summed up the 2014 season.

“We won six games. That’s not enough,” he said. “We’ve gotta win more games.”

But he also stated that the 2014 Rams made progress even though that 6-10 record indicated otherwise. He reiterated that Tuesday.

“I believe we made progress,” Fisher said. “I believe that the record doesn’t reflect the way this team played.”

When asked to elaborate on areas of progress, Fisher began with the defense.

“We had back-to-back shutouts,” he said. “We had three straight games we didn’t give up a touchdown. Defense was fourth or fifth in points allowed. ... First in the NFL, I think, in third-and-1 and fourth-and 1 (conversion defense). Those kind of things.”

Offensively, he thought the running back corps showed signs with Tre Mason as the feature back and Benny Cunningham as the third-down back for most of the season.

“I think we got better as a rushing team, potential rushing team, with Tre,” he said. “Greg’s going to be much better next year.”

Fisher was referring there to rookie Greg Robinson, who he said is the team’s left tackle in 2015 “as we stand right now.” There has been speculation that veteran Jake Long — following yet another operation — might be considering retirement.

But Fisher said, “All indications are that he wants to come back.” If that’s the case, Fisher said he felt Long could play guard or right tackle.

Fisher said a number of players will need offseason surgery but declined to name names because some were still having tests. Of course, one of them is Rodger Saffold, who told the Post-Dispatch after Sunday’s game that he would have shoulder surgery Jan. 7.

Shortly after Quick’s season-ending shoulder injury Oct. 26 against Kansas City, Fisher said Quick should be back in time for training camp. He hedged on that to a degree Tuesday, saying: “It was a significant injury. He’s in here every day (rehabbing). We’ll have a better idea in a few months.”

It turns out the concussion suffered by cornerback E.J. Gaines against the New York Giants, which kept him out of the Seattle contest, is not a major injury.

“He would play this week,” Fisher said. “Yeah, he’s good.”

The roster-building process for 2015 began Tuesday when the Rams signed seven members of their 2014 practice squad to their offseason roster: OT Steven Baker, WR Emory Blake, OG Travis Bond, S Christian Bryant, LB Marshall McFadden, DT Doug Worthington, and WR Devon Wylie.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Fisher said when asked about Schottenheimer’s status by the Post-Dispatch. “I think Brian is an outstanding play-caller. Outstanding play-caller. He’s very organized. He’s an excellent teacher. So you can’t put the record on his shoulders. That’d be very, very unfair.”
First, no one is blaming Shottenheimer for the Rams record and for Fisher to say this as an argument for keeping him is ludicrous. In fact I find it insulting. Anytime someone criticizes the OC play calling and play design they are accused of blaming all the offensive shortcomings on the OC and the majority of us do not put full blame on the OC.
There are three reasons for the lack of offense and all three need to be addressed not just two. I hope all three do get addressed.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I actually think Brian had his best year as a play caller for the Rams. What I hate about him is when he gets cute, I like the versatility to mix things up but I hate that there is absolutely no character to this team.

We line up and try to trick them almost every play. One thing I have learned from football is you should be able to tell the defense your play and you beat them by pure technical and athletic ability. While I believe this is a broad definition I also that is Brian's biggest problem; he is scared to say "This is what my play call is, let's see if you can stop it?' It is one of the things that is so ballsy about Arions and Carrol; Fish really only reveals that side of himself on special teams.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
son-of-a-bitch.jpg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cause this ship's going down
All on account of the weather
Though we'll drown
There's no need to frown
'Cause we're all going together
And I won't say "Woe is me"
As I disappear into the sea
'Cause I'm in good company
As we're all going together

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I actually think Brian had his best year as a play caller for the Rams. What I hate about him is when he gets cute, I like the versatility to mix things up but I hate that there is absolutely no character to this team.

We line up and try to trick them almost every play. One thing I have learned from football is you should be able to tell the defense your play and you beat them by pure technical and athletic ability. While I believe this is a broad definition I also that is Brian's biggest problem; he is scared to say "This is what my play call is, let's see if you can stop it?' It is one of the things that is so ballsy about Arions and Carrol; Fish really only reveals that side of himself on special teams.

Um, have you not noticed that the offense kept pounding the middle though it rarely worked in order to set up play action and gadget plays? The PROBLEM was that Wells and Joseph suck, Saffold would be better at RG, and Robinson is still learning the game. Fix that and you will see identity. Note, Schotty has coordinated a top rushing team in the Jets.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm no x's and o's guy so I couldn't say what adjustments shoulda been made after all those halftimes we blew leads with. But apparently schotty doesn't know either cuz we really sucked balls in the 2nd half of most games.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boy, I'm finding harder and harder to read these end-of-season assessments from Fisher.

Basically, he wants me to believe the team is better, when the record says otherwise.

Now, I understand and accept that I can "see" improvements in spots... or in flashes... but the record is the great equalizer in my mind. It's the sum of all the parts.

A few excerpts:
“First off, I’m not anticipating any changes on the coaching staff,” Fisher said when asked about Schottenheimer’s status by the Post-Dispatch. “I think Brian is an outstanding play-caller. Outstanding play-caller. He’s very organized. He’s an excellent teacher. So you can’t put the record on his shoulders. That’d be very, very unfair.”
Fisher is very deliberate and puts a lot of effort into hiring members of his coaching staff. For example, he interviewed something like 10 candidates for the running backs coach job that went to Ben Sirmans in 2012.
So once they’re hired, Fisher is generally very loyal to his staff and changes are rare. In fact, 19 of the 20 original staff members hired in 2012 when Fisher arrived in St. Louis are still with the team.
Having continuity on the coaching staff, Fisher said, helps the process of making improvements.
“It allows you to sit down and look hard at what you’re doing and get better,” Fisher said. “I’ve been on staffs where there’s been continuity where we were able to do that.”

This kind of scares me. Now, it may turn out that keeping Schottenhiemer and vowing to "sit down and look hard at what you're doing and get better" yields the improvement necessary to get us over the hump.

Problem for ms is... I've heard this too many times now and things really haven't changed much.... or, enough.

So, it makes me nervous about 2015.

But he also stated that the 2014 Rams made progress even though that 6-10 record indicated otherwise. He reiterated that Tuesday.
“I believe we made progress,” Fisher said. “I believe that the record doesn’t reflect the way this team played.”
“I think we got better as a rushing team, potential rushing team, with Tre,” he said. “Greg’s going to be much better next year.”

Again, I've hear this too many times... "we've gotta win more games" and "... the record doesn't reflect the way this team played".

Of course it does, Jeff.

Play better and the record will indicate as much. That's how you win more games. They ended the season on a down note, IMO... I'm having difficulty looking at how the season ended and believing all this.

I'm sorry... feeling frustrated when I read these kinds of comments anymore.

I want to believe...

It's a long off season and much can/will happen... in the end, all of it ties to hoping these words from Fisher turn into reality.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
It's not all on Schotty obviously. The offense has issues. BUT...."Outstanding play-caller"??? C'mon, man. I guess we should be excited then. Because after the o-line upgrades maybe he'll transcend to interplanetary. Is that the next step up from outstanding? Or is it other worldly? Anyway, I expect him to be surrounded by white light as he's calling plays on the sideline next year.

"Very organized"???? How come they can't get a goddamn play in on time when they're in hurry up mode? Schotty's always staring at his laminated chart while precious seconds are ticking off the clock and the QB has a look on his face like..."LET'S GO!"

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
IMO it's the execution of the plays a lot of the times that didn't make the play work. Starting at the O-Line.....Particularly the RG and Center.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Boy, I'm finding harder and harder to read these end-of-season assessments from Fisher.

Basically, he wants me to believe the team is better, when the record says otherwise.

Now, I understand and accept that I can "see" improvements in spots... or in flashes... but the record is the great equalizer in my mind. It's the sum of all the parts.

A few excerpts:

This kind of scares me. Now, it may turn out that keeping Schottenhiemer and vowing to "sit down and look hard at what you're doing and get better" yields the improvement necessary to get us over the hump.

Problem for ms is... I've heard this too many times now and things really haven't changed much.... or, enough.

So, it makes me nervous about 2015.

Again, I've hear this too many times... "we've gotta win more games" and "... the record doesn't reflect the way this team played".

Of course it does, Jeff.

Play better and the record will indicate as much. That's how you win more games. They ended the season on a down note, IMO... I'm having difficulty looking at how the season ended and believing all this.

I'm sorry... feeling frustrated when I read these kinds of comments anymore.

I want to believe...

It's a long off season and much can/will happen... in the end, all of it ties to hoping these words from Fisher turn into reality.

Holding a wins and loss record as the end all be all for measuring success suggest that you have a very narrow scope. There is more to it than that. For example: the defense improved greatly over the season. You could reason that if it came out of training camp playing as well as it did near the end of the season that the Rams would have won at least two or three more games this year. I don't think that is unreasonable to suggest.

If you say Wins and Losses are all that matters then you are only willing to look at one aspect of the team, when there are many aspects to a team. If the Rams played an easier schedule and they have more wins than losses would you be happy then, even though it is the same exact team?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
First, no one is blaming Shottenheimer for the Rams record and for Fisher to say this as an argument for keeping him is ludicrous. In fact I find it insulting. Anytime someone criticizes the OC play calling and play design they are accused of blaming all the offensive shortcomings on the OC and the majority of us do not put full blame on the OC.
There are three reasons for the lack of offense and all three need to be addressed not just two. I hope all three do get addressed.
You might not be blaming Schotty but there are plenty who have been.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Holding a wins and loss record as the end all be all for measuring success suggest that you have a very narrow scope. There is more to it than that. For example: the defense improved greatly over the season. You could reason that if it came out of training camp playing as well as it did near the end of the season that the Rams would have won at least two or three more games this year. I don't think that is unreasonable to suggest.

If you say Wins and Losses are all that matters then you are only willing to look at one aspect of the team, when there are many aspects to a team. If the Rams played an easier schedule and they have more wins than losses would you be happy then, even though it is the same exact team?
Not saying that the record is the end all-be all... but, it is the sum of the parts.

Using the defense as an example... yes, they got better... but, in the end, they lost the last 3.

Why? Because the parts did not add up to wins.

Defense played great against Arizona (one part), but the offense struggled (another part)... special teams were fine... add up all the parts and it came out loss.

Defense didn't play as well against New York (one part), and the offense struggled (another part)... special teams were fine... add up all the parts and it came out loss.

Defense played well against Seattle (one part), but the offense struggled (another part)... special teams were fine... add up all the parts and it came out loss.

The sum of all three phasesd of the team resulted in 0-3.

That's how I'm looking at record and as it pertains to improvement... can't have improvement in just one area (defense), or even two... got to execute in all three phases of the game.

Hope that makes some sense to you.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think you have to be somewhat subjective regarding Shotty.
I think we all agree at times his play calling is both head scratching and predictable.
At other times I think (if you really analyze the play) that he has called some great plays but our execution has flat out stunk. You can draw up the best plays in the world but if your TE can't block or an OL misses an assignment it doesn't matter, the play is going to fail.

And I truly believe that if the OL actually protected the QB many of the play calls would of or could of been successful. I would bet money if Bradford was the QB all year and we didn't have the injuries (Long and Quick) that the outcome would of been much different.

Is he the best fit? I don't know but as much as I hate some of the things he does I can't put it all on him.
Remember, before Sam got hurt he was on pace for career numbers.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeff Fisher not anticipating changes to coaching staff
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...er-not-anticipating-changes-to-coaching-staff

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Pointing to what he believes is the importance of continuity, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher is not expecting to make any changes to his coaching staff this offseason.

Asked Tuesday what he thought of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and the 28th-ranked offense in the NFL, Fisher started by making it clear that the staff is going to stay in place barring any surprises.

“Well first off, I’m not anticipating any changes on the coaching staff," Fisher said.

To be clear, when Fisher says he's not anticipating any changes, that means he almost certainly isn't going to choose to make any alterations to the staff. The word anticipating is used solely because it leaves open the possibility that a coach could leave on his own, perhaps for another opportunity.

Schottenheimer, of course, is the coach who has drawn the most ire from fans for the lack of consistent production by an offense that fell well short of the defense's output again in 2014.

The Rams finished 28th in yards per game, 20th in rushing yards, 23rd in passing yards and 23rd in points scored in 2014. That's not much of a departure and certainly not definitive progress from what the offense has done in each of his first two seasons as offensive coordinator.

Schottenheimer's offense was handcuffed a bit by the loss of quarterback Sam Bradford in the preseason and the subsequent losses of left tackle Jake Long and receiver Brian Quick, but his inability to get much from Tavon Austin and the lack of a consistent run game for a group often left observers scratching their heads.

In spite of that, Fisher gave Schottenheimer an overwhelmingly positive endorsement.

"I think Brian is an outstanding play caller," Fisher said. "He’s very organized. He’s an excellent teacher. You can’t put the record on his shoulders. That’d be very, very unfair.”

Since Fisher arrived in 2012, staff changes have been few and far between. In fact, the only two notable changes that were made previously came at defensive coordinator and some of that was a product of things outside of Fisher's control. He fired linebackers coach Blake Williams after the 2012 season and then let go of coordinator Tim Walton last year in order to add Gregg Williams for that role.

Fisher offered some positive words for Walton at this time last year only to let him go later on, but that shouldn't be viewed as the way he's going to handle business this year. But Fisher didn't offer the same type of appreciation for Walton that he did Schottenheimer and only made the change because he and Williams were able to bury the hatchet and come to an agreement.

Whether it's at quarterback or on the coaching staff, Fisher has sent the resounding message that he's a big believer in keeping a group together and letting it grow. For a team that's won just 20 games in three seasons, it seems like a couple of tweaks could help, but that's obviously not how Fisher sees it.

"One thing that continuity allows you to do is that it allows you to sit down and look hard at what you’re doing and get better," Fisher said. "I’ve been on staffs where’s there’s continuity where we were able to do that.”

And if this group isn't able to offer more tangible progress next season, individual changes will likely give way to the sweeping kind.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not saying that the record is the end all-be all... but, it is the sum of the parts.

Using the defense as an example... yes, they got better... but, in the end, they lost the last 3.

Why? Because the parts did not add up to wins.

Defense played great against Arizona (one part), but the offense struggled (another part)... special teams were fine... add up all the parts and it came out loss.

Defense didn't play as well against New York (one part), and the offense struggled (another part)... special teams were fine... add up all the parts and it came out loss.

Defense played well against Seattle (one part), but the offense struggled (another part)... special teams were fine... add up all the parts and it came out loss.

The sum of all three phasesd of the team resulted in 0-3.

That's how I'm looking at record and as it pertains to improvement... can't have improvement in just one area (defense), or even two... got to execute in all three phases of the game.

Hope that makes some sense to you.

I understand what you are saying but I still think it discounts too many facts. Measuring wins and losses is not realistic if you consider variables, like average age of the team compared to teams they played or how good some QBs are compared to the Rams backups, or longevity with a head coach or staff.

Are the Giants that bad? Looking at record yes, but considering it took their line most of the season to gel and their offense to come together under a new OC, I would say no. Do they have a more complete team than the Rams? Yes were they competitive in their division? No. But their record does not give the whole answer. It is the same for the Rams.

Realistically any team without a good to very good QB is going to struggle. Every team in the playoffs has a better QB than Shaun Hill or Austin Davis. If Bradford isn't hurt things are probably different, especially if Long is back too. An Oline of Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale in front of Bradford was the plan and instantly improves the offense. These are just more variables that count when considering the record.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Um, have you not noticed that the offense kept pounding the middle though it rarely worked in order to set up play action and gadget plays? The PROBLEM was that Wells and Joseph suck, Saffold would be better at RG, and Robinson is still learning the game. Fix that and you will see identity. Note, Schotty has coordinated a top rushing team in the Jets.

Yes we constantly try to run it up the middle but he is also constantly mixing how the oline is blocking. Pulling this guy this time, pulling this guy the next time, running the wrap around play, etc. I know we have to fix the middle of our line, BIG TIME.

Alan

Legend
Ram_Fan identifying part of the problem:
IMO it's the execution of the plays a lot of the times that didn't make the play work.
I agree with that nuanced viewpoint.