Fisher: "foremost we have to run the football"!!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
(On how explosive he thinks the offense can be)
“Well it’s still real early, it’s just Day 2. Our goal, as we said, is to increase scoring and keep the defense off the field and put drives together, but first and foremost we have to run the football. It’s hard to evaluate your run game without pads and we’re a couple days away from that, so we’ll be able to start pushing the run game a little bit.”

Just an observation for all those who still think this is gonna be the rebirth of the GSOT!!!

bluecoconuts

Legend
There will only be one GSOT.

But this is going to be a passing team. We will run the ball and run it well, but it's a passing league and the Rams will be a passing team.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Re: Fisher: "foremost we have to run the football"!!!

Don't forget who's running this team. We will run and run

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I fucking hope we run. Both the ravens and the 49ers have strong rushing attacks and they made the SB. Dallas ran the ball 33% of the time last season and passed 67%. Romo had something like 650 passing attempts. Don't kid yourselves, it might be a passing league but you still gotta have balance.

A55VA6

Legend
Our run game could be deadlier than people think. With the diversity of the RB's, and no Steven Jackson.. teams really won't know what to do. Normally they just put 8 men in the box to stop Steven.

I really think our offense is going to shine this year. I can see Tavon busting a few big runs from the backfield also :)

FRO

Legend
We need a more effective run game than we had in years past. It's amazing Jackson was able to do what he did behind a poor line that didn't open up many holes. With a better line I see our run game improving.

However the ball is moved is fine by me, just as long as we move it consistently and score more points. Can't abandon the run.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think you could find any coach who *wouldn't* say that.

FRO

Legend
X said:
I don't think you could find any coach who *wouldn't* say that.
They all say it, regrettably Martz didn't mean it in Super Bowl 36.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
A team won't be successful if they can't run the ball when they need to run the ball. It also helps when the runner has a chance to knock off some big runs.
As far as the GSOT, Faulk did a pretty good job of running the ball in a passing offense.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
FRO said:
We need a more effective run game than we had in years past. It's amazing Jackson was able to do what he did behind a poor line that didn't open up many holes. With a better line I see our run game improving.

However the ball is moved is fine by me, just as long as we move it consistently and score more points. Can't abandon the run.
FWIW I always thought SJ wanted bigger seems than was realistic and DR would squirt through some holes SJ wouldn't.
Nobody is perfect but if SJ had the vision of Faulk he might have been.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As they say; being able to run opens up the pass. Granted, you can do it the other way around too... so the point is you need to do both - and we will!

I think being run-first is about attitude; "we're going line up and run down your throats"... "one on one here it comes"... etc.

Pass first gets the finesse label.

Fisher wants the prior, even if he knows that a superior passing offense is the path to winning a SB.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
It IS a passing league now. But in the game of football, you HAVE to be able to run the ball 1) when you need to (short yardage, GL ,etc.) and 2) enough to keep the defense honest and off balance. With all the new "toys" .. and personnel groupings we can now put out there, the running game should get better. But the passing game should be more explosive too .... it all works in conjunction to open each other up.

I'm pretty damn excited to see it unfold!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My take on this has been all along, as long as Fisher is running this team, they will look to RUN THE BALL. He puts a priority on ball security, and he just doesn't like to, and WON'T expose this offense (with all the youth) to the risk of turnovers by "throwing" caution to the wind. They will take their shots in the passing game, and yes, because of more dynamic players, will be more explosive and certainly more productive.

While the nature of "how" they run the ball is certain to change, make no mistake about it. They will be much more balanced than a lot of people expect them to be.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
My take on this has been all along, as long as Fisher is running this team, they will look to RUN THE BALL. He puts a priority on ball security, and he just doesn't like to, and WON'T expose this offense (with all the youth) to the risk of turnovers by "throwing" caution to the wind. They will take their shots in the passing game, and yes, because of more dynamic players, will be more explosive and certainly more productive.

While the nature of "how" they run the ball is certain to change, make no mistake about it. They will be much more balanced than a lot of people expect them to be.
Agree 100%.

fearsomefour

Legend
Chuck Knox ran to set up the pass, Walsh and Robinson passed to set up the run....it can work either way. The last several years we have run and passed to set up the punt. As long as the Rams get away from that, Im lovin it.