Fisher Expects Bradford to be Under Center for Rams in 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
2013 he completed 60.7%.......that was 7th best in the NFL?

I call bullcrap.

At the end of the season he was #18.

One of those things we'll have to agree to disagree on - you see in Bradford what his stats say - average to slightly below average starter in the NFL who cant stay healthy. Can't disagree too much - but I also think if you look at his play and the things around him - and use your eyes you wouldn't think he's "innacurate". I look at him and see - 2010 rookie of the year - 2012, good arm, good decision making, accurate passer let down by a mediocre o-line and a terrible receiving corps - had one of the highest drop rates in the league which hurt his stats and 2013 where I think he looked like a stud after the first few games but then got hurt.

See what I'm leaving out? 2011. If Fisher could give him a pass for that dumpster fire of a season then so am I. He was hurt (I know...again), playing for a 2nd O-coordinator in 2 years after only being in the league 1 year, with a terrible supporting cast. Or you could say he wasn't very good. Both would be true.

More recent evidence though suggests if he was healthy he'd be a good starting QB in this league. I think he could be even better than that personally (but I agree its only my opinion and I respect yours Les and you're entitled to disagree) and think he was really gonna light it up this year - and IF he can come back next year he will do.

Anyway - thinking that (positive) way sure feels better than going "we're screwed at QB for next year"...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But Bradford isn't an average starter. He is a huge question mark with below average accuracy and a major injury history. Among other issues. Teams may pay that for a guy they think has upside, but does anyone think Bradford has upside at this point?
Agreed. Matt Schaub got 7 million. Why would bradford get more than Matt Schaub? Schaub HAS at least done it in his career.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
. . . and in the 2,015th year of our Lord, the Phoenix known as Sam the Ram riseth once more to plunder the territory of NFL defenses with eyes like jagged lightning and a right of arm burnished gold, the like of which hath never been seen before and never will be seen again. All who have ears, let them hear!
And lo, it was prophesied that there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth on a certain forum.

Amen.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2013 he completed 60.7%.......that was 7th best in the NFL?

I call bullcrap.

At the end of the season he was #18.

Call bullshit. Accuracy% isn't completion%. It only counts targeted passes(no throw-aways) and adds drop% back in.

It measures (well, attempts to) your % of catchable passes on targeted passes. He was 7th best in the NFL in that stat.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. Matt Schaub got 7 million. Why would bradford get more than Matt Schaub? Schaub HAS at least done it in his career.

I'd say because Schaub was 33 years old and coming off a year where he was one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL due to his declining physical skill-set.

Lets play the same game but now with Carson Palmer. He got $16.5 million a year. In his 22 starts under Arians, he has 35 TDs to 25 Ints. In Bradford's 23 starts under Fisher, he has 35 TDs to 17 Ints. Why would Bradford get less than Palmer?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Call bullcrap. Accuracy% isn't completion%. It only counts targeted passes(no throw-aways) and adds drop% back in.

It measures (well, attempts to) your % of catchable passes on targeted passes. He was 7th best in the NFL in that stat.

This sounds like some obscure metric.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not really. It's on PFF and a lot of people know about it. It's also a really simple metric. It's an attempt to measure accuracy on targeted passes. Completion% does not account for drops, passes thrown away, spikes, etc. Completion% only measures the percentage of attempts you complete. That's not a true measure of accuracy.

The eye test will always be the best measurement but accuracy% is an improvement over completion%.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd say because Schaub was 33 years old and coming off a year where he was one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL due to his declining physical skill-set.

Lets play the same game but now with Carson Palmer. He got $16.5 million a year. In his 22 starts under Arians, he has 35 TDs to 25 Ints. In Bradford's 23 starts under Fisher, he has 35 TDs to 17 Ints. Why would Bradford get less than Palmer?
Instead of playing games, let's stick to the topic, yes?
Schaub's career blows away Sam's career, in just about every metric. Comp% rating ypa etc etc
Schaub was a free agent in 2014 because of a horrific 2013. Same guy who just 1 season prior was a pro bowl QB. Age is irrelevant, a 32 year old vet on a 2 year cheap deal is less risk than a 27 year old who has missed the last year and a half due to injury.
As it was, Schaub was lucky to get the 7 mill because the Raiders are the Raiders
As for Palmer? Same answer really. Sam can't ask for Palmer money until he puts Palmer like numbers up for a sustained career

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
just wanted to jump in here

Arian Foster > Daryl Richardson

Andre Johnson > Brandon Gibson + Danny Amendola + Chris Givens + Laurent Robinson....

Bradford > Schaub

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Bradford does give us the best chance to win next year if he stays healthy.The two things that concern me about him is if he gets hurt again or if he struggles to get it going.By the time we get our 1st game next year it will be almost 2 years that Bradford has faced real competition.So IMO the FO needs to make some kind of move to get us a Qb in the draft just in case.If that means trading multiple draft picks to get the one Qb that most NFL ready then do it.If Bradford stays healthy we can always recoup some of those draft picks with another trade.If he doesn't stay healthy were covered with a better option than Davis or Hill.I hope Bradford does stay healthy and plays well but we have to be ready this time in case he does not.There's way to much talent on this team for us not to be winning.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
just wanted to jump in here

Arian Foster > Daryl Richardson

Andre Johnson > Brandon Gibson + Danny Amendola + Chris Givens + Laurent Robinson....

Bradford > Schaub
Who has had a better career?
Because that was the point, not who you like more...

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I have a hard time seeing us getting a better QB than we already have in the upcoming draft even if we trade up. And any QB we do draft, if he makes it in the NFL at all, will take a couple of years to develop. Will we want to wait that long?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Who has had a better career?
Because that was the point, not who you like more...
I think the point was that if you put Bradford in that Houston offense instead of Schaub, Bradford out-performs Schaub.

Or if you put Schaub in the St. Louis offense instead of Bradford, Bradford still out-performs Schaub.

(These are just my opinions of course. I'm noting this since it is a bit of a pet peeve of mine for someone to assume as fact that X would have done better than Y in a hypothetical situation.)

You can't take QB stats and put them in a vacuum. So much of a QB's performance depends on what's around them. Otherwise, you can take the stats arguments to their logical extreme and assert that Trent Dilfer and Doug Williams were better QBs than Dan Marino or Jim Kelly on the basis of Super Bowl wins.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
if he stays healthy

And there is the question that no one can definitively answer because there's no way of knowing. Based on past history it would be a huge gamble for Fisher/Snead to roll the dice on Sam Bradford once again. It is possible however to return from two ACL surgeries and have success.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/09/nfl-rg3-knee-surgeries-others/1820461/

Good news for RGIII? Three players who came back from two ACL tears
Chris Strauss, USA TODAY, January 9, 2013

With Robert Griffin III's father confirming that his son needed reconstructive surgery on his right ACL(along with his LCL) for the second time since 2009, the next question after the length of his recovery time is how he'll be able to perform once he is healed. We've seen many skill players - Tom Brady, Jamaal Charles and Adrian Peterson among recent examples - come back good as new from their knee injuries, but there's a smaller list of players who've returned from the same injury twice.

One thing in Griffin's favor in addition to his youth is that it's not a complete tear of the ACL this time.

Here are several other players who've gone through similar issues.

Casey Hampton, DT, Pittsburgh Steelers
The 325-pound All-Pro defensive tackle just finished the twelfth year of his NFL career despite having three ACL reconstructions, the first on his left knee in college in 1997 and his right knee twice while with the Steelers in 2004 and 2012. In 2004, a piece of his patellar tendon was used to repair the right knee. In 2012, they used an Achilles tendon from the cadaver of a deceased 19-year-old.

"Once you do it, having two, the third one is a little bit easier because you kind of know what to do," Hampton told USA TODAY Sports last month. "You know how to rehab, you know what's going to make it hurt, what's going to make it not hurt. You're not really worried about tearing it again. You don't have the same fears because you've done been through it before."

"If I wasn't playing football, I wouldn't have did surgery (in 2012)."

Hampton returned from the January surgery in time to start all 16 games for the Steelers this season.

Thomas Davis, LB, Carolina Panthers
Davis tore the ACL of his right knee three times in three years before returning to the Panthers this season. After seeing minimal action in the first month of the year, Davis started the team's final 12 games, amassing 70 tackles in the process.

"I feel good," Davis told USA TODAY Sports in June. "Now it's all about going out there and regaining that confidence and being out there with my teammates. I mean, hey, I've been through it enough to know the process and know what to do and what not to do."

Domenik Hixon, WR New York Giants
The Giants' backup wideout tore his right ACL in both 2010 and 2011 but returned to training camp in 2012 at full speed after a September 2011 surgery sidelined him for nearly a year. Hixon went on to have the second-best season of his seven-year NFL career in 2012, grabbing 39 catches for 567 yards.

"It felt like the same year, the same stuff, doing it all over again," Hixon told the New York Daily News in August, referencing the second injury. "Mentally getting past it is tougher than physical, definitely."

"You kinda have a year, and you're expected to come back and play. It'd be awesome to have a year and a half, two years, to really rehab, make sure the ligaments heal. But in our job, we don't have that luxury."

Boffo97

Name
Dave
And there is the question that no one can definitively answer because there's no way of knowing. Based on past history it would be a huge gamble for Fisher/Snead to roll the dice on Sam Bradford once again. It is possible however to return from two ACL surgeries and have success.
And that's why if Bradford is brought back, you don't "roll the dice" on him. You draft someone early (but don't overdraft). If Bradford goes down again, you have someone good to come in. If he doesn't, he sits and learns for a year and you have some great trade bait later.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
And that's why if Bradford is brought back, you don't "roll the dice" on him. You draft someone early (but don't overdraft). If Bradford goes down again, you have someone good to come in. If he doesn't, he sits and learns for a year and you have some great trade bait later.

An incentive laden contract based on number of games played is the only way "you don't roll the dice." I would be surprised if SB went along with that.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
An incentive laden contract based on number of games played is the only way "you don't roll the dice." I would be surprised if SB went along with that.
That's what I'm thinking will happen. If he doesn't go along with it, or worse, demands his scheduled contract rate for 2015, I'll have no problem telling him goodbye. And I don't think (though I could be wrong) any guy who wants Bradford back thinks differently about it.

I don't think any team takes the gamble of not having an incentive heavy contract for him, so if he's going to take at least a short term pay cut no matter what, he might as well take it for the Rams.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
you want to base Bradfords accuracy on how many catches his crappy recievers made in the past and you're calling the accuracy % an obscure metric? ok...

Bradford has his problems but accuracy was never one of them.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think we can all agree that they should only bring Bradford back at a reduced cost if possible, if not, let him go. Regardless, need to draft a QB within in the first 3 rounds at worst.

Havent read most of the comments but am sure these have been mentioned and are the feelings of most.

The thing with Sam is your plan B needs to be as good as most team's plan A, I don't see any FA much better than Austin Davis being willing to walk in to be a back up, so you're looking at a very early (first two rounds) draft pick, I'd rather take the Bradford money, go out and get the best OC and OG available in FA and trade up for Winston (if we investigate his past better than his own police department/school, and nothing comes up) than go with Sam an Austin Davis quality back up and draft OL in the first two rounds. Only back up currently in the NFL I'd be comfortable with is a trade for Glennon.