Fisher expects Benny Cunningham to be 3rd down back again this season.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Benny Cunningham - RB - Rams
Coach Jeff Fisher expects Benny Cunningham to be his third-down back again this season.

Even after Tre Mason seized feature back duties midway through last season, he ceded passing work to Cunningham. Benny finished with 45 catches for 532 yards and one touchdown. "He’s just really good out of the backfield. He’s probably the better protector of the three," Fisher said. The roles in St. Louis' backfield appear set as Zac Stacy will back up workhorse Mason and Cunningham will slide in on pass downs. Isaiah Pead, coming off a torn ACL, could be the odd man out.
Related: Isaiah Pead, Zac Stacy, Tre Mason

Source: ESPN.com
Apr 2 - 8:15 AM

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeff Fisher comfortable with Rams' RB depth
1d
  • i

Nick Wagoner, ESPN St. Louis Rams reporter
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- For most of the 2014 NFL offseason, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher insisted he was pleased with his team's depth at running back.

Rookie Zac Stacy nearly rushed for 1,000 yards in less than a full season of work, Benjamin Cunningham flashed potential, and there was still hope for second-round pick Isaiah Pead to develop. That confidence lasted all of 74 picks into the 2014 NFL draft.

That's when the Rams used their third-round pick, No. 75 overall, on Auburn running back Tre Mason. At the time, Fisher and general manager Les Snead pointed to Mason clearly being the highest-rated player remaining on their board. It was a value too good to pass up, the story went.

i

At last week's NFL owners meetings, Fisher was asked if this time he truly is pleased with what he has in place at running back. The answer took on a familiar tone.

“Yes, obviously Isaiah is coming back as well," Fisher said. "You should see him on the field. So, with him included, yes we do. Tre and Benny and Zac and Isaiah coming back, it’s a good group.”

On paper at least, the Rams did seem to at least settle into a rotation that could be effective in the right situations. After about a quarter of the season spent on the bench, Mason emerged as a legitimate home-run threat and became the de facto starter. Cunningham embraced the third-down back role and proved the team's most adept pass blocking back. Stacy got lost in the shuffle but got the occasional carry behind Mason down the stretch. All of this happened with Pead spending the season on injured reserve.

At it stands, Mason figures to be the starter moving forward, with Cunningham the third-down back and Stacy around for depth. Where Pead fits remains to be seen since he has yet to deliver any real production since being drafted in 2012. Fisher sounds high on Pead coming off injury but there might not be room for him.

"I think that you assume...going into it now, as we finished up last year, the second half of the season, Benny became the third-down back," Fisher said. "He’s just really good out of the backfield. He’s probably the better protector of the three. That’s some work that Tre and Zac need and we’ll get that done whenever we can during the offseason. So with Benny being the third-down back, then we’ve got a one-two punch with Tre and Zac.”

Fisher has also made no secret of his desire to have an offense centered on a power-running game. That has been a consistent theme in his three years as coach in St. Louis save for the failed four-game experiment with a wide-open approach in 2013. But the Rams also haven't really delivered on that, either.

Since Fisher arrived in 2012, the Rams have averaged 106.3 rushing yards per game, which ranks 19th, and an average of 4.1 yards per carry, which ranks 17th. There have been glimpses of a potent rushing attack but it's been far too inconsistent, especially against tougher defenses in the NFC West.

In 2014, the Rams averaged 77.8 yards and 3.36 yards per carry in six division games. In their 10 other contests, the Rams rushed for 116.8 yards and 4.56 yards per rush.

That doesn't necessarily mean the running backs are the problem as the Rams offensive line struggled consistently, but the team hasn't exactly bolstered that group yet this offseason, either.

One thing that should help if the Rams do stick with their current group is the fact that there wouldn't be a need to spend a chunk of the season breaking in a starting back.

“No we don’t," Fisher said. "I say this quite often, it takes time to learn how to play without the football. That’s not only pass blocking, but knowing who to block in every single situation when there’s a change in protection in addition to knowing where to get to in the passing game because you’re an outlet. There’s more to that position than just carrying the football. It’s not an easy position to learn at this level.

"Playing without the ball is not an easy thing to learn. That’s why it takes time. We feel now in certain ways, simplifying the offense, there’s really no philosophical changes or scheme changes. We’re simplifying it. So between that and the familiarity of the offense and the experience, they should all be ready to go.”

Like with anything at this time of the year, nothing is set in stone, especially given what looks like a deep and talented running back class entering the draft.

There's little doubt the Rams would be better suited improving the line as a way to upgrade the running game, but there's also recent evidence to suggest it would be no surprise if they went back to the running back well if they felt the value was too good to pass up.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I like Benny. But I hope Stacy gets going this year. He's a good back.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Benny is great, but why strictly use him on third down? Why not have Tre and benny in and create some real mis matches?
Can't recall ever seeing that last season

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
Honestly I think benny is better than stacy. Tre and Benny make for an awesome combo.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I'm just glad we have a home-run threat RB (Mason) who won't pull a hammy when he makes a long run (SJ). In one of his last seasons, I remember watching SJ take a hand-off to the house, and thinking, "Uh-oh", and sure enough, it was hammy-time. Off to the bench for 6-8 weeks.

Psycho_X

Legend
Not exactly anything we didn't already know. It is nice to have the depth there. If Mason has to sit out I have no qualms putting Stacy in there and Cunningham I am ok with as a primary back also. We've got a lot of options there. Would like to see Stacy used in the "pounding" role more though. I see no reason, if we can fix our o-line, that Mason can't get 20 touches and Stacy/Cunningham get 5-8 each game.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't see this, Pead has shown a lot of Value pass protecting, and we've been carrying 4 RB's I don't see that stopping!

I also see Pead making the roster he was starting to contribute more on special teams before he got hurt and hes the best pass protector and pass catcher out of the back field we have. Unless we draft another RB I think pead makes the roster. I also see a possibility even if we do draft another RB maybe that opens the door to trade Stacy and keep Pead because Stacy contributes nothing to special teams.

jap

Legend
I also see Pead making the roster he was starting to contribute more on special teams before he got hurt and hes the best pass protector and pass catcher out of the back field we have. Unless we draft another RB I think pead makes the roster. I also see a possibility even if we do draft another RB maybe that opens the door to trade Stacy and keep Pead because Stacy contributes nothing to special teams.

Pead is also the fastest RB not named Tavon on the team---at least he was before injury last pre-season. He has things to prove this training camp.

Stel

Starter
I don't see this, Pead has shown a lot of Value pass protecting, and we've been carrying 4 RB's I don't see that stopping!

Actually 5, counting Chase Reynolds. And don't forget Watts (who is likely the odd man out).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This will be Pead's most critical camp. Rams are going to use the backs out in the pattern most likely with Cigs coordinating, and Isaiah has strong skills there.

IMO Cigs rise to OC benefits him, question is whether he comes in hungry and takes a more critical role in the backfield.

If not then I think they showcase him in preseason and trade him.

A55VA6

Legend
I think Tre and Benny can do quite a bit of damage this year. Benny is a great special teams contributor too. He deserves the snaps and offense.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think while Mason is the clear starter, Stacy was critically underused in short yardage and other situations. I hope he gets a few more carries this year, which I think will also benefit Mason beyond just this one season. And beyond regular season if we can make the playoffs.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I'm just glad we have a home-run threat RB (Mason) who won't pull a hammy when he makes a long run (SJ). In one of his last seasons, I remember watching SJ take a hand-off to the house, and thinking, "Uh-oh", and sure enough, it was hammy-time. Off to the bench for 6-8 weeks.

You're exaggerating. SJ played in 117 of 128 possible games as a starter for the Rams from 2005-2012. He never missed more than 4 games in a row, and despite annual quad/groin injuries, he faught through them and rarely missed time.