Fisher Expecting More Continuity For Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Nick Wagoner
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/4878/fisher-expecting-more-continuity-for-rams

ST. LOUIS -- Last week in this space, we discussed St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher's expectation that there would be no changes to his coaching staff this offseason.

The roster, of course, is a different story. With plenty of needs on the roster and a number of key free agents set to hit the market, there's sure to be roster turnover but Fisher made it clear he expects a bit more continuity than what's taken place in his first two offseasons in St. Louis.

“I would expect that we would have less (roster turnover)," Fisher said last week. "But there’s always going to be turnover. In good teams, there’s 15 or 20 percent turnover in rosters, so I think we’d have less than we had last year. Certainly significantly less than two years ago.”

When Fisher and general manager Les Snead arrived in St. Louis they began a radical makeover of the roster that resulted in a turnover of about 60 percent from the opening day roster of 2011 to the 53-man roster of opening day 2012. Along with that, the Rams became the youngest team in the league in 2012. Many of the players they waived goodbye to were out of the league soon after the Rams parted ways.

The Rams began putting the young pieces in place for the future that offseason and when they attacked free agency and the draft in 2013, they made their share of changes but the turnover was indeed far less than it was in 2012. The 2013 opening day roster had about half the turnover of the previous offseason, giving the Rams a chance to establish some more continuity on the roster.

Each of the first two off seasons of the Fisher and Snead era has seen them pursue two or three high-priced free agents to supplement their emphasis on building through the draft. Draft day trades brought out an expanded rookie class in 2012 but the Rams actually trimmed that number with moves in last year's draft.

As they prepare for this offseason, the Rams have question marks abound on the offensive line and in the secondary. Armed with a couple of extra draft picks, including the No. 2 overall choice from Washington, and little in the way of cap room, it seems unlikely the Rams will make many alterations via free agency.

Considering the Rams will likely need to release some high-priced veterans to have workable salary cap space, it's entirely possible that whatever roster turnover the Rams do incur could actually make them the youngest team in the league for the third consecutive year in 2014. If that's the case, the continuity on the roster and with the coaching staff could be particularly valuable for the team moving forward.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I hope part of the turnover isn't Saffold leaving. I want this man at guard in the worst way.

I believe all of his injuries came at tackle, yea? Nothing from playing guard yet, right?

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
We have to get younger because most likely Wells and Dahl will both get cut for the cap space and we can't replace them with FA's. Finnegan is another vet that probaby gets cut.
I just hope we hit on the FAs we get this year. We must be flawless in those acquisitions.

Alan

Legend
ChrisW with a question:
I hope part of the turnover isn't Saffold leaving. I want this man at guard in the worst way.

I believe all of his injuries came at tackle, yea? Nothing from playing guard yet, right?
I believe you're right about that Chris but there are a couple of other factors to consider. First of all, not many games at Guard. Second of all, who's to say there's a lesser chance of injury at guard? Even if it is, how much smaller is the risk? I really want us to keep him on but there's no doubt that it's a risk. That's one of the reasons why it's so important to shore up the O-line during this off-season.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If Walton was getting fired I'd have expected it to happen by now. If Schottenheimer was getting a HC gig I'd have expected him to get an interview by now.

I see nobody going anywhere.