Fisher expected to be Rams coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Howard Balzer
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101espn.com/category/hbalzer-blogs/20120106/Fisher-Expected-to-be-Rams-Coach/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101espn.com/category/hbalzer ... ams-Coach/</a>

The Rams will enter the 2012 season with quarterback Sam Bradford entering his third season. They reside in the NFC West where, despite what the San Francisco 49ers achieved this past season, there is no powerhouse like the New England Patriots or a talented New York Jets team. They own the second pick in the draft and the first pick in the second round that can be used as leverage for additional picks, or to select quality difference-makers. They don’t have a general manager, and are looking.

All those factors, according to sources familiar with the thinking of Jeff Fisher, have led the former Tennessee Titans coach, who has been weighing serious interest from the Miami Dolphins and the Rams this week, to be on the verge of choosing St. Louis as the next stop in his coaching career.

The decision is not final, and things can always change until a contract is signed, but despite the likelihood of leaving some money on the table in Miami, Fisher likes the potential on the Rams’ roster to turn things around relatively quickly.

According to numerous reports, money has been no deterrent to Dolphins owner Stephen Ross in his pursuit of Fisher. But Rams owner Stan Kroenke didn’t enter this high-stakes game to lose. He spelled that all out in his meeting with Fisher Thursday. Any financial shortfall, if there actually is one, could possibly be bridged with significant bonuses for post-season appearances.

While there is expected to be a clear division of responsibility between the new Rams head coach and general manager, Fisher will also have a certain level of input during the ensuing search for a general manager in charge of personnel.

Earlier Friday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter said Fisher would make his decision some time next week. It could be even sooner. The Rams met with Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton Friday, a discussion that complied with the NFL’s Rooney Rule that mandates an interview with a minority candidate.

It’s not out of the question that a deal could be completed by the end of the weekend. And that Jeff Fisher would be the next head coach of the Rams.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
H Man sounds pretty confident. This is the most positive, yet non committal article I've read on this yet. Sounds like we're definately in the lead for this guy.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Meh.

He's 53, which is only two years older than Spags.

Hopefully this turns out even better than the last time the Rams hired a HC with previous HC experience. :ww:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As previously illustrated, he's not going to do shit if he runs into a buzz saw of injuries. At least not with THIS team. Getting depth and invincible players is of pivotal importance. No matter who the coach is. Of course if we had invincible players, depth becomes less important. Yes, work on invincible players first, then worry about the HC.

Problem. Solved.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Rumored it's a done deal by unconfirmed reports, we'll know soon enough that Bradford and some other talent, along with draft and cap WERE factors why he chose the Rams.

UNCONFIRMED. Announcement on Monday???

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Unconfirmed by rumors. I like it. Guess we'll see on Monday.

I expect it to be a done deal. I can't see him in Miami for a number of reasons. If he really wants to return to coaching, then this is gonna be the place.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Unconfirmed by rumors. I like it. Guess we'll see on Monday.

I expect it to be a done deal. I can't see him in Miami for a number of reasons. If he really wants to return to coaching, then this is gonna be the place.
Well, Balzer announced it apparently.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
As previously illustrated, he's not going to do shit if he runs into a buzz saw of injuries. At least not with THIS team. Getting depth and invincible players is of pivotal importance. No matter who the coach is. Of course if we had invincible players, depth becomes less important. Yes, work on invincible players first, then worry about the HC.

Problem. Solved.

I donno X, I've never done a study, but by observation,... outside of a few noteworthy exceptions, it appears that winning teams usually have fewer injuries....maybe the only "invincible players" we need are (winners)....that, a damned fine physical training program and excellent coaching. Of course, that's easy for me to say. :roll:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Per JT: Rams get permission to interview 2 titans front office execs for gm job: lake dawson and ruston webster.

There it is.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
Per JT: Rams get permission to interview 2 titans front office execs for gm job: lake dawson and ruston webster.

There it is.
Yep.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
ramsince62 said:
I donno X, I've never done a study, but by observation,... outside of a few noteworthy exceptions, it appears that winning teams usually have fewer injuries....maybe the only "invincible players" we need are (winners)....that, a damned fine physical training program and excellent coaching. Of course, that's easy for me to say. :roll:
Is it that a team has fewer injuries so they win, or is it that the players don't get injured so they win?

Indestructible players don't exist. As the saying goes, after the first game, there are no uninjured players, except those that didn't play.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
X said:
DR RAM said:

There it is.
Yep.

When I read that tweet I became convinced its a done deal. Why else would we just suddenly reach out to 2 Titian Execs who have worked with Fisher before? Those are guys Fisher will accept as the GM.

Fisher = New StL Ram Coach

Now we just need to figure out who the assistants will be :yeh:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
X said:
DR RAM said:

There it is.
Yep.

When I read that tweet I became convinced its a done deal. Why else would we just suddenly reach out to 2 Titian Execs who have worked with Fisher before? Those are guys Fisher will accept as the GM.

Yeah, right, but not sure how I will feel if they hire either of those guys. If Fisher has total control, not good, IMO. We need several conflicting opinions to have a good team, but they have to be open and respect each others views.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Fisher will be our head coach I mean everyone on tv and talk show gurus all say the same thing John Madden on Sirius even said Fisher will be crazy if he doesn't choose the Rams compared to the dolphins I mean Sam and SJ compared to Bush and ?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
X said:
DR RAM said:

There it is.
Yep.

Yeah, right, but not sure how I will feel if they hire either of those guys. If Fisher has total control, not good, IMO. We need several conflicting opinions to have a good team, but they have to be open and respect each others views.

I agree. It becomes a groupthink problem.

Fisher having a say in the GM was always part of the package. Hopefully Stan will structure our FO and talent evaluators in a way that avoids groupthink. He's a smart business man, I would hope he realizes the value of conflicting opinions.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
X said:
DR RAM said:

There it is.
Yep.

I agree. It becomes a groupthink problem.

Fisher having a say in the GM was always part of the package. Hopefully Stan will structure our FO and talent evaluators in a way that avoids groupthink. He's a smart business man, I would hope he realizes the value of conflicting opinions.
I shudder remembering the Rams last groupthinkers: Zygmunt and Linehan. :sick:

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Been out of the discussion loop these past few days having to deal with a family issue. I talked with a friend today that is a very close friend of a guy who was a DB coach with Fisher at Tennessee. Appereantly he put a hold on two offers to coach in Philly and Oakland. For what it's worth, this former DB coach says Fisher is leaning hard to St. Louis. I hope so, cause then he will hire this guy and I will have my new connection to the RAMS. My former being Tom McMahon, our former special teams coach.

Let the bashing of heard from a friend who heard it from a friend who begin. Reminds me of the old REO Speedwagon song! :ww:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
MontanaRamFan said:
Been out of the discussion loop these past few days having to deal with a family issue. I talked with a friend today that is a very close friend of a guy who was a DB coach with Fisher at Tennessee. Appereantly he put a hold on two offers to coach in Philly and Oakland. For what it's worth, this former DB coach says Fisher is leaning hard to St. Louis. I hope so, cause then he will hire this guy and I will have my new connection to the RAMS. My former being Tom McMahon, our former special teams coach.

Let the bashing of heard from a friend who heard it from a friend who begin. Reminds me of the old REO Speedwagon song! :ww:

Keep On Rollin With The Changes! :yeh: (another good REO song for the day)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
RamsSince1969 said:
MontanaRamFan said:

Keep On Rollin With The Changes! :yeh: (another good REO song for the day)

Riding The Storm Out.....