Fisher could finally pull the plug on the Brian Quick (article)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I saw Quick in the first training camp at UCI. He seemed like he did not really care whether he's making the team or not. The route running and separation and the fire to break away from the DBs were not there.

When the QB was not throwing his way, he did not even bother to finish the block on the DB. When the play was over, he would walk back slowly to the huddle.

He seemed like if he was let go, he would be fine with it. There's no urgency or the heart to make it to the NFL to BQ. That is just my observation from a fan's point of view.

Rams need to give the job the youngsters with the desire to make the team instead of some lackluster but athletically gifted WR who does not seem worried about being released from the team.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
What could've been.
image.jpeg

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I was at training camp last Thursday. I had seen Brian Quick look real good in practice . Especially in the red zone.
-- When There was a pick on 11 on 11 he stopped playing. He put his head down & soaked instead of playing through. It showed me where his head is
. Then he keeps dropping passes. Spruce has had less chances and made of his opportunity .

Ditto.

I posted that pic of him from Monday's practice doing the same thing after he dropped a sure catch during WR drills.

Listen guys, I loved Quick. I wanted him to succeed. I trusted Snead and Fisher with their private work out they held with him prior to drafting him. It isn't working out. I have been to four or five practices now and it's the same thing every time. Moments of awesomeness shattered by back to earth reality with drops that should have been catches.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From Fishers tone in the last press Conference it may be too late for Quick. You notice he mentioned the three safe WR's, Britt,Austin, and Cooper...and then mentioned how WR's have to catch the ball. In years past, Quicks name would have been a given with the other three. I say we cut him even if he catches everything, because I am tired of the tease that he is, give a new guy his spot because he certainly can't do much worse in his learning year as Quick normally does every year...No mas!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This guy just isn't a football player.
I agree and have said as much for a couple years. In the context of his physical stature.......he's soft, *has poor body control, has difficulty locating the ball and running routes, loses the 1v1 battles and has hands of stone.
Nice run blocker and teammate.

*The big knock IMO

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I would be extremely disappointed if duke doesn't make the team. From the limited play time he's received in preseason games he has looked very good. I think he's only caught one pass but he looked so smooth reeling it in. His blocking also looks strong. He and spruce really stood out to my eyes.

I was quick's biggest supporter but duke looks better.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Underperformed? crap you can say that about a lot of players on this roster. IMO this team has caused a lot of talent to underperform a receiver can't throw the ball to himself and that is why our receivers underperform.

I get the impression that you believe several posters in this thread are acting in a biased manner towards Quick, but I am more of the opinion that we have been quite patient with him. If you don't want to trust what Rams fans are saying, how about an unbiased player grading outfit which evaluates pretty much every snap, ... would you be willing to listen to what PFF has to say about statistical grading ?

Back when Brian Quick was drafted, most everyone was scratching their head at what appeared to be a Rams reach, Rams fans were quite publicly disturbed about why not Alshon Jeffery at the time. Well, lets skip forward a couple years and compare numbers for these two :

2015 WR Grades :

Alston Jeffery - Rated # 3 WR in the NFL
overall score, 94.2 ; receiving score, 94.5 ; Run score, 60 ; Run Blocking score, 80.9 ; total snaps, 512

Brian Quick - Rated # 108 in the NFL
overall score, 50.2 ; receiving score, 48.3 ; Run score, 60 ; Run Blocking score, 73.3 ; total snaps, 358

Some have made mention of Brian Quick's skill in run blocking, and this is basically true, but both Britt and Austin graded slightly higher.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
.I would be extremely disappointed if duke doesn't make the team. From the limited play time he's received in preseason games he has looked very good. I think he's only caught one pass but he looked so smooth reeling it in. His blocking also looks strong. He and spruce really stood out to my eyes..

He's caught 1 pass for 4 yards and has looked good? What has he done without the ball that makes him look so good?

I'm with the ambivalent one. If Quick makes the team, fine. If Quick gets cut, fine. I want the best players on the field for the Rams. But I don't want guys making the team because they look good catching 1 pass for 4 yards.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's caught 1 pass for 4 yards and has looked good? What has he done without the ball that makes him look so good?

I'm with the ambivalent one. If Quick makes the team, fine. If Quick gets cut, fine. I want the best players on the field for the Rams. But I don't want guys making the team because they look good catching 1 pass for 4 yards.

Why? A wr either looks good or bad. It only took a couple of catches from spruce to know he knows what he's doing, has great technique and will be a great asset to the team. Going from camp reports and seeing the way he catches and blocks why can't i like what i see from duke?

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I saw Quick in the first training camp at UCI. He seemed like he did not really care whether he's making the team or not. The route running and separation and the fire to break away from the DBs were not there.

When the QB was not throwing his way, he did not even bother to finish the block on the DB. When the play was over, he would walk back slowly to the huddle.

He seemed like if he was let go, he would be fine with it. There's no urgency or the heart to make it to the NFL to BQ. That is just my observation from a fan's point of view.

Rams need to give the job the youngsters with the desire to make the team instead of some lackluster but athletically gifted WR who does not seem worried about being released from the team.

For a guy named Quick, dude is really taking his time. ...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Quick has always seemed to be in over his head. At some point, physical talent like he has connects with the games complexities and takes over. It has never happened. I agree with others that say he is not a football player.

The experiment has gone on long enough. Less physically gifted players have had successful NFL careers. Instincts for the game are more important than having the best body. Who wouldn't take Jeffrey, or Doug Baldwin over Quick, and neither are the specimens that Quick is.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree and have said as much for a couple years. In the context of his physical stature.......he's soft, *has poor body control, has difficulty locating the ball and running routes, loses the 1v1 battles and has hands of stone.
Nice run blocker and teammate.

*The big knock IMO

let alone dropping good passes which doesnt help Goff's confidence any. luckily he (Goff) seems to have receivers he trusts. i've had enough of the attempt to salvage the 2nd round pick already.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He isn't catching on to the game and he drops passes.

That's all we need to know.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
I get the impression that you believe several posters in this thread are acting in a biased manner towards Quick, but I am more of the opinion that we have been quite patient with him. If you don't want to trust what Rams fans are saying, how about an unbiased player grading outfit which evaluates pretty much every snap, ... would you be willing to listen to what PFF has to say about statistical grading ?

Back when Brian Quick was drafted, most everyone was scratching their head at what appeared to be a Rams reach, Rams fans were quite publicly disturbed about why not Alshon Jeffery at the time. Well, lets skip forward a couple years and compare numbers for these two :

2015 WR Grades :

Alston Jeffery - Rated # 3 WR in the NFL
overall score, 94.2 ; receiving score, 94.5 ; Run score, 60 ; Run Blocking score, 80.9 ; total snaps, 512

Brian Quick - Rated # 108 in the NFL
overall score, 50.2 ; receiving score, 48.3 ; Run score, 60 ; Run Blocking score, 73.3 ; total snaps, 358

Some have made mention of Brian Quick's skill in run blocking, and this is basically true, but both Britt and Austin graded slightly higher.

Not at all. I see the whole picture not just Quick. according to PFF we should have cut AO, Britt, Tavon and a couple of other starters on our roster last year. Alston wouldn't do shit on this team the last couple of years with our shitty QB play you cant compare a total different team/offense to ours and say a player will look the same doesn't work that way. If Quick gets cut then im fine with it but I think it will be a mistake. if he gets on a team with a good offense and QB he will put up the numbers.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
A lot of presumptions and no input from the team to back it up. The only guy I've seen do anything half way decent this year at WR has been Spruce and that was against the scrubs.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not at all. I see the whole picture not just Quick. according to PFF we should have cut AO, Britt, Tavon and a couple of other starters on our roster last year. Alston wouldn't do crap on this team the last couple of years with our crappy QB play you cant compare a total different team/offense to ours and say a player will look the same doesn't work that way. If Quick gets cut then im fine with it but I think it will be a mistake. if he gets on a team with a good offense and QB he will put up the numbers.

The whole picture ? I'd say not. Actually, PFF graded both Austin & Britt as though they were decent # 2 WR's. Austin was the overall # 41 with Britt graded # 49 overall, they also had double Quick's snaps. Same OL, same blocking, same QB. TE Cook even graded better than Quick as a receiver, with a 51.1 score.

Last edited: