Fisher could finally pull the plug on the Brian Quick (article)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
http://profootballspot.com/nfl/arti...le-rams-patience-for-quick-running-thin-r299/

By Tim Godfrey

quicky.jpg.ab13772074edd4fefac81415f29e4f46.jpg

The Rams are going into Year Five of the Quick Project and the receiver has yet to catch 1,000 yards for his career. Photo Credit: USA Today - Sports

Fisher could finally pull the plug on the Brian Quick Project after 5 years

The Los Angeles Rams brought back Brian Quick on a one-year/$1.5 million contract. But he might not even make it to the end of training camp, let alone the end of the year.

Quick needed solid performances during his preseason appearances against the Dallas Cowboys and the Kansas City Chiefs. He failed to accomplish to do to just that in either game. Against the Chiefs, Quick recorded two catches. The week prior, he only caught one.

Now, he could be dropped himself.

Quick’s lack of catches falls more on himself than it does on the quarterback. During the Chiefs game, Quick dropped a couple of passes. One pass was directly into his chest with the nearest defender being a few yards from him. Quick dropped it.

“I have confidence in my hands,” Quick said to ESPN’s Alden Gonzalez. “Most of those things are just timing anyway, with the quarterback and me.”

Regardless of what it falls on, head coach Jeff Fisher said it plain and simple: “Your receivers have to catch (the ball).”

“(Quick)’s had too many drops, so he’s going to have to focus on that,” Fisher said.

Quick was a second-round draft pick that many expected to be a project. Fisher and general manager Les Snead felt confident in his ability, however, and felt they needed to take him high before anyone else did.

Now, the project looks to have run it’s course. The Rams are going into Year Five of the Quick Project and the receiver has yet to catch 1,000 yards for his career.

From 2012 to 2015, Quick’s catching percentage has been well below average; catching 47 percent of the 135 targets over five years.

A more disappointing look at the number finds that despite playing in 51 games, Quick was targeted less than twice-a-game (1.7).

The team will certainly have Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt, and rookie Pharoh Cooper be a big part of their passing game. After that, Fisher said the competition to make the final 53 is wide-open.

The Rams wide receiver competition is proving to be a lot more competitive than in recent years. Outside the previous three, guys like Nelson Spruce and Paul McRoberts have made names for themselves in the last few weeks.

Spruce had a great game against Dallas, but fell to a sprained knee. When healthy, Spruce is a great option in the passing game.

Bradley Marquez has proven himself to be a great special teams player.

Quick could find himself the odd-man-out. He can’t contribute on special teams and he has proven to be a less than reliable receiver on offense.

Quick has shown he can be a good receiver. In 2014, Quick appeared to be turning in a career season. He played seven games before he was knocked out for the season with a shoulder injury, as luck would have it.

But during those seven games, his catching percentage increased, he turned in the highest amount of receiving yards (375) and caught a career-high three touchdowns.

Those numbers seem rather meager, but for Quick, this was improvement. He was proving his worth.

But the following year, he regressed dramatically, only catching 10 passes in 13 games.

This weekend’s game against the Denver Broncos is do-or-die for Quick. Roster cuts are due by the end of the month and his name is not off the chopping block.

This weekend could be the last time we see Quick in a Los Angeles Rams jersey. Should he play well and catch more than two passes, he could stave off the roster cuts another week.

But time is running out.

football16.gif

B.Quick is in the fight of his life... I give him an 80% chance to make the final 53 if he catches every ball that touches his hands at Denver and Minnesota. If he has drops at Denver he's likely cut on 08/30/2016.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

tempests

Hall of Fame
What a dismal commentary on him if he can't hold off the rookies. Five years experience and athletically superior to all of them.

This guy just isn't a football player.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
I hope he has two good games and makes the team. He practically had his shoulder cleaved off and has worked hard to make it back. The way he hustled down the field and caused that fumble after the Goff pick vs. the cowboys shows the desire is there.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
If he is cut he will be picked up somewhere else, too much physical potential to not land somewhere.

Lots of potential, but very little production. If his problems were anything but his hands, he may get picked up, dont think many teams are looking for a WR that has difficulty learning the O and catching the ball. I would have liked for Quick to make it, but if it comes down to Quick or 1 of the youngsters that is in their 1st year and outplays Quick, I would go with the youngster. IMO Duke can do anything Quick brings to the table plus catch.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Another armchair article pshhh. Quick had a nasty injury they even said he may not be able to play again. Another thing he was only targeted 2 times a game. Watch film on him the last 3 years he was open a ton but our crappy QB's wouldn't throw it to him. He drops a ball every once in a while big deal he gets open and if we ever have a QB to throw it to him he will break 1000 yards. He works his ass off and hustles on every play. Cracks me up when people say are rookies are better when they haven't even played a real game yet.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Quick had a nasty injury they even said he may not be able to play again.

Nasty injuries are a part of sports.

Quick passed a physical like everyone else. If he was still suffering lingering effects he'd be on the PUP list.

Sure, Quick shows hustle, but who on this team doesn't?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That roster spot is too valuable to allow an under-performer to occupy space without production. We all know his athleticism, but he hasn't lived up to expectations and must eventually be called to account. Maybe a fresh start on a new team will jump start his career, but the Rams can't wait 4 years for someone just to be average, especially so because we have been severely suffering at the position since the Holt/Bruce era. There is potential behind him on the depth chart which may make an immediate impact, something we've been waiting on from Quick rather patiently for a few years now. jmo.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79

Quick passed a physical like everyone else. If he was still suffering lingering effects he'd be on the PUP list.

Good grief, he's not a f'in robot. Takes a while to mentally recover from that kind of injury. Ever had a shoulder injury? Mine wasn't nearly that bad, but it was took me a while before i was mentally over it. Passing the physical doesn't mean shit in the NFL--plenty of guys "pass" and then suffer a duplicate injury first week back.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I'm ambivalent to Quick. Too many drops to shed a tear if he's gone. If he stays that's fine too for all the reasons his advocates cite in support of him - last year being a write off due to injury, great physical tools, high potential, flashed for a handful of games pre-injury, etc. Let the WRs battle it out and may the best man win. If he can't win a spot against our WRs with years of experience on them then he deserves to go.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I hope he has two good games and makes the team. He practically had his shoulder cleaved off and has worked hard to make it back. The way he hustled down the field and caused that fumble after the Goff pick vs. the cowboys shows the desire is there.

I was at training camp last Thursday. I had seen Brian Quick look real good in practice . Especially in the red zone.
-- When There was a pick on 11 on 11 he stopped playing. He put his head down & soaked instead of playing through. It showed me where his head is
. Then he keeps dropping passes. Spruce has had less chances and made of his opportunity .

A55VA6

Legend
I feel like Brian Quick and Jared Cook are the same person. Size, speed, shows flashes, but ultimately fails.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good grief, he's not a f'in robot. Takes a while to mentally recover from that kind of injury. Ever had a shoulder injury? Mine wasn't nearly that bad, but it was took me a while before i was mentally over it. Passing the physical doesn't mean crap in the NFL--plenty of guys "pass" and then suffer a duplicate injury first week back.
He had all last year to prove himself.The Rams resigned him because they know the history of his injury. He can cry all he wants,but still has to prove himself.
The NFL is Not For Long !!!

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill

Ya and it never takes more than one season to get over a injury like that haha SMH. Did you watch any film on him last year? He was open most every play wide open at times and our shitty QB's didn't throw to him.

Underperformed? Shit you can say that about a lot of players on this roster. IMO this team has caused a lot of talent to underperform a receiver can't throw the ball to himself and that is why our receivers underperform.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel like Brian Quick and Jared Cook are the same person. Size, speed, shows flashes, but ultimately fails.

You couldn't have used a better analogy A55VA6!

That was such a perfect comparison that I'm still stunned..

cookwat.0.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If he is cut he will be picked up somewhere else, too much physical potential to not land somewhere.
My bet is Philly would go after him. They already have Bradford and Givens, and there would be an automatic comfort level their!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Quick 83 is such a badass jersey. Why can't he get back into it and play amazing... He needs motivation.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
He had all last year to prove himself.The Rams resigned him because they know the history of his injury. He can cry all he wants,but still has to prove himself.
The NFL is Not For Long !!!

Lets see he was targeted 32 times last year caught 10 passes and had 1 drop. What's wrong with this picture? That means 21 passes to him were off target or defended ya its all quicks fault he didn't prove himself. It takes two to throw and catch

tempests

Hall of Fame
Ya and it never takes more than one season to get over a injury like that haha SMH. Did you watch any film on him last year? He was open most every play wide open at times and our crappy QB's didn't throw to him.

If that's true than it sounds like he's physically recovered to me. Rams haven't placed any restrictions on him that I know of.

Mentally if he's still not over it he probably never will be. It's been 22 months. It may sound unreasonable and demanding but that's the NFL. H's got to put that injury behind him.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
If that's true than it sounds like he's physically recovered to me. Rams haven't placed any restrictions on him that I know of.

Mentally if he's still not over it he probably never will be. It's been 22 months. It may sound unreasonable and demanding but that's the NFL. H's got to put that injury behind him.

I kind of agree with that. They had to reconstruct his shoulder so that could be causing some issues but I'm not sure. But all this talk about he is underperforming and needs to be cut is rediculous IMO. This article is a hack job they point out he only had 10 catches out of 32 targets but he only had 1 drop so how do you prove yourself when your QB throws 21 shitty passes or defended passes out of 32 attempts