Fisher confirmed rams likely to use 5th year option on Ogletree

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Alec Ogletree - LB - Rams
Coach Jeff Fisher confirmed the Rams are likely to pick up MLB Alec Ogletree's fifth-year option.

It is a no-brainer move. The No. 30 overall pick in 2013 draft, Ogletree was already an indispensable playmaker on the weak side, but he could prove even more important as he switches to the middle. The Rams also could utilize the fifth-year option on Tavon Austin, who was taken with the No. 8 overall pick in 2013, but it is unlikely they are willing to shell out that kind of money for what amounts to a gadget player.
Related: Tavon Austin

Source: ESPN
Mar 29 - 12:19 PM

I'm guessing this means the long term deal they have been working on fell through??

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
dont it means anything on the long term deal front. He'll get paid more annually with an extension than with the 5th year option, so this is basically just to buy themselves more time to get a deal done

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
dont it means anything on the long term deal front. He'll get paid more annually with an extension than with the 5th year option, so this is basically just to buy themselves more time to get a deal done
I agree! Just because they pick up these 5th year options doesn't mean they can't still work out Long term deals!!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I wouldn't call Tavon just a gadget player. He is an integral part of the running game, passing game, and special teams. He might not excel in one particular area but he is also indispensable when you look at what he does for this team in his all around stats.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Tavon has value for all he does. But is that value worth 12 million? He's gonna have to catch more passes and be a traditional receiver if he's gonna get that. Maybe a longer term deal before that time comes?

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
I wouldn't call Tavon just a gadget player. He is an integral part of the running game, passing game, and special teams. He might not excel in one particular area but he is also indispensable when you look at what he does for this team in his all around stats.
Completely agree. If we get some good QB play this season, he's going to post some HUGE #'s.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes it would buy more time so more efforts can be made to secure Alec Ogletree's services past 2016 season & yes it would also indicate that all the attempts up to this moment to sign Tree to a long term contract have failed. I have no ideal what the exercised option for 2017 on MLB Ogletree will be ?? :bueller:

The one yr. extension for Brockers cost the rams cap $ 6.15 million in 2016 for one season worth of Nose Tackling. Not a real bad deal. Even now 11 months after the Rams Org. got the Brocker's extension signed Brockers has not moved on signing a long term contract & is set to enter free agency in March of 2017 if he desires.

The upcoming decision on Tavon Austin will become interesting if Snead get a few good hits on receiver prospects in this up coming draft in a month. Those new unknown WR selections will certainly figure in on this TA extension. I consider it doubtful that we do this very costly extension on TA for 2017 season. The loss of a TA to this offense sure would paint a picture with nothing but dark shades of black & gray Ram offense:(. Snead sure needs some other offensive bright colors in here for 2016.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Yes it would buy more time so more efforts can be made to secure Alec Ogletree's services past 2016 season & yes it would also indicate that all the attempts up to this moment to sign Tree to a long term contract have failed. I have no ideal what the exercised option for 2017 on MLB Ogletree will be ?? :bueller:

The one yr. extension for Brockers cost the rams cap $ 6.15 million in 2016 for one season worth of Nose Tackling. Not a real bad deal. Even now 11 months after the Rams Org. got the Brocker's extension signed Brockers has not moved on signing a long term contract & is set to enter free agency in March of 2017 if he desires.

The upcoming decision on Tavon Austin will become interesting if Snead get a few good hits on receiver prospects in this up coming draft in a month. Those new unknown WR selections will certainly figure in on this TA extension. I consider it doubtful that we do this very costly extension on TA for 2017 season. The loss of a TA to this offense sure would paint a picture with nothing but dark shades of black & gray Ram offense:(. Snead sure needs some other offensive bright colors in here for 2016.

Ogletree's price is tricky since he could be paid mlb or olb. as for tavon hes a top 10 pick so hes quite pricey and doubt he gets the extention