Fisher Bringing Confidence, Winning Ways To Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nathan Grimm (@Nate_Grimm)
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/10/01/ ... s-to-rams/

zuerlein.jpg

On paper, the St. Louis Rams look very different from last year. A new-look defense. An almost entirely new special teams unit. New, exciting young skill position players on offense.

But one needs look no further than the Rams sideline for possibly the biggest difference in this year’s team.

“I think it’s coach (Jeff) Fisher,” DE Chris Long said. “You have that confidence that all the decisions on gameday are going to be made correctly. He’s a great gameday decision-maker. And we all have the confidence that we can go out there and do the best we can and try to make plays, and we’re going to be in the best possible situation to make those plays.”

It wasn’t pretty, but the Rams made enough of those plays on Sunday to pull out a 19-13 win over the visiting Seattle Seahawks. Despite being outgained 319-286 in total yards and failing to score a touchdown on offense, the Rams forced three Russell Wilson interceptions and got four field goals from K Greg Zuerlein, including two from over 58 yards.

On a day when the offense was unable to punch the ball in, Zuerlein’s right leg was able to get the job done.

“There was one time, I think it was the first possession out of (the second) half, where I think he kicked his 60-yarder,” QB Sam Bradford said of Zuerlein. “I was coming off the field expecting us to punt it and I looked back out there and we were setting up for a field goal and I was like, ‘What?’ But sure enough, he’s been awesome. You can’t ask for much more in a kicker.”

The Rams also got some offense from P Johnny Hekker. After a drive stalled at the Seahawks two-yard line, the field goal unit came on for a short kick. But Hekker took the snap and instead slung a pass to a wide open Danny Amendola in the end zone for the Rams only touchdown of the day. The touchdown gave the Rams a 10-7 lead, a lead they wouldn’t relinquish.

After the new special teams unit gave the Rams the lead, the new defense made it stand up. CB Trumaine Johnson and LB Rocky McIntosh intercepted Wilson over the course of the game, and CB Bradley Fletcher put the game away when he intercepted a Wilson pass with a minute to go.

With it, Fletcher sealed the team’s second win in four games, matching the team’s win total from a year ago. The Rams didn’t get their second win until week 10 last year. Winning games they might have lost a year ago is just one more difference the head coach is making in 2012.

“As far back as OTA’s (Fisher) made it known that we were going to be in close games and that this team was going to be tough enough to go down and win them late in the game,” Bradford said. “Whether it be defense getting the stop or the offense going down and putting up points, and I think everyone’s really bought into that. We’ve been in some close games and we pulled two out. [hil]I think there is a big difference, because in the past I’m not sure if we would’ve done that.”[/hil]

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Still not sure that we have an offense capable of coming from behind, but I know they're able of moving the ball. In years past, it was almost insurmountable because the D would be gassed by the third quarter and definitely couldn't get a stop in the 4th. There's real progress, it ain't perfect, but damn if it ain't exciting!

PhxRam

Warner4Prez said:
Still not sure that we have an offense capable of coming from behind, but I know they're able of moving the ball. In years past, it was almost insurmountable because the D would be gassed by the third quarter and definitely couldn't get a stop in the 4th. There's real progress, it ain't perfect, but damn if it ain't exciting!

Detroit? Washington?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
PhxRam said:
Warner4Prez said:

Detroit? Washington?
I'll take "Places where pissing on the street would be redundant" for $500, Alex.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
“I think it’s coach (Jeff) Fisher,” DE Chris Long said. “You have that confidence that all the decisions on gameday are going to be made correctly. He’s a great gameday decision-maker.

And that may be all it would have taken for his predecessor to be good enough, but he undoubtedly got outcoached DURING games.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
PhxRam said:
Warner4Prez said:
Still not sure that we have an offense capable of coming from behind, but I know they're capable of moving the ball. In years past, it was almost insurmountable because the D would be gassed by the third quarter and definitely couldn't get a stop in the 4th. There's real progress, it ain't perfect, but damn if it ain't exciting!

Detroit? Washington?

Detroit should have ended differently, but the offense stalled out after a 13 play drive in the fourth quarter and settled for a FG. If they were able to score, the poor officiating would have been a moot point.
I ain't trying to rag on my own team, because I have nothing but love for them. The offense though is still coming along. Givens and Quick will continue to improve, as they go, so will the rest. :bg: