Fisher & Brian Schottenheimer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yamahopper said:
zn said:
Yamahopper said:
zn said:
There has been word out there that one of Fisher's possible choices for an offensive coordinator is Brian Schottenheimer

If so it's more likely as of today cause Schottenheimer announced he's not returning to the Jets, where he had been the OC since 2006. So he's available.

Before becoming the OC in NY he was the qb coach in SD from 2002-2005. He had Brees in his 2nd year. The OC then was Cam Cameron, now the OC of the Ravens. Famously, Brees had a great year in 2004, with 65.5% completions, 27 TDs to 7 INTs, and a qb rating of 104.8.

As a qb coach he would have had Rivers under him in 2004-2005.

In contrast, the Jets offense was a mess this year and Schottenheimer got a lot of the blame but so did Sanchez. Some say Schottenheimer was hampered by Sanchez. Some say the opposite. Some cite the decline of the Jets OL too and the decline of the run game with it. (The Jets rushing game was ranked 4th in 2010, 22nd in 2011).

FWIW he was a Rams assistant coach in 1997.

Schottenheimer runs a version of the Coryell offense he learned under Cameron.

So IF Fisher comes to St.Louis and IF he brings Shottenheimer, this would be system #3 for Bradford and a return to the Coryell system for the Rams, though a more heavily run-oriented version influenced by Cameron.

BTW his qb for 8 games in 2007 was Clemens.

In fact as both a qb coach and a coordinator, he has worked with Tony Banks (Washington 2001), Brees and Rivers and Flutie (Chargers 2002-2005), and Pennington and Clemens and Farvre and Sanchez (2006-2011).

Yeah that's what happen when the coaches get canned.....That's life.
Sure the Rams can bring a OC in off the Edwards tree, but I'm sure that new OC has bastardized it to fit his vision so in affect he would be still learning a new system.

So what do you want him to do?

He's not going to quit.
He's not going to be traded to Cle or NE.

So I say he will suck it up learn whatever system it is and come out ready to roll in 12 just because he wants to win.

I didn't "want him" to "do" anything. I was just commenting on a fact.

I got some of the same kind of reaction from some people last time when I said he's going to struggle learning McD's system.

Noting a fact is just noting a fact. There's no controversy there.

And btw it's not just the qb it's the entire offense. Especially the receivers.

Frankly it will be nearly impossible to find either a new head coach or a new coordinator who is familiar with the system they used in 2011, though at least this time they have an off-season.

If anything my bet is the next guy will be more aware of how he should scale it back and adapt to the players on hand.

My comment was to the point that this is all a moot point..

"Moot" compared to what? A fact is a fact, and you can't argue with someone just for stating a fact.

And also you seem to think someone was complaining.

Just noting a fact.

One I thought was completely uncontroversial, if not common sense obvious/banal.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Just like Demarco said in the latest interview, just like the coaches said all year, it is and was not a Bradford problem. Even Lloyd said that the receivers were not getting to the right spots and blocking the right people., Our QB's rarely had time to check down or go to another option because of the offensive line.

Now that said. It sucks that our WHOLE offense, lineman included, although a lot of them will be new, will be in a new system under all new coaches. There will be a learning curve, but we will have the whole offseason, plus the benefit of an extra two weeks of practice because we hired (eventually) a new head coach.

Using this discussion to throw a dig in about Bradford is very PD-like, and uncalled for. It is what it is, I don't feel sorry for anybody, I don't think anybody else does, I just hope that we get it right this time so that we can build some sustainability for our franchise.

Anonymous

DR RAM said:
Just like Demarco said in the latest interview, just like the coaches said all year, it is and was not a Bradford problem. Even Lloyd said that the receivers were not getting to the right spots and blocking the right people., Our QB's rarely had time to check down or go to another option because of the offensive line.

Now that said. It sucks that our WHOLE offense, lineman included, although a lot of them will be new, will be in a new system under all new coaches. There will be a learning curve, but we will have the whole offseason, plus the benefit of an extra two weeks of practice because we hired (eventually) a new head coach.

Using this discussion to throw a dig in about Bradford is very PD-like, and uncalled for. It is what it is, I don't feel sorry for anybody, I don't think anybody else does, I just hope that we get it right this time so that we can build some sustainability for our franchise.

I think it's presumptuous to assume SB won't pick up a Coryell or other system quick. One need only remember KW in preseason '99.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
squeaky wheel said:
DR RAM said:

I think it's presumptuous to assume SB won't pick up a Coryell or other system quick. One need only remember KW in preseason '99.
Who's saying he won't pick it up? I don't think anyone is saying that.

Anonymous

DR RAM said:
squeaky wheel said:
DR RAM said:

Really? What does "set back" mean to you?

"The issue is a young qb who is struggling in the NFL and for good reason being set back by having to learn a 3rd system."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
DR RAM said:
squeaky wheel said:
DR RAM said:

"The issue is a young qb who is struggling in the NFL and for good reason being set back by having to learn a 3rd system."
Set back means -- set back. As in, having to halt his progression in this offense and start over. No progression. Must start over. Set back.

Anonymous

X said:
squeaky wheel said:
DR RAM said:
squeaky wheel said:
DR RAM said:

Set back means -- set back. As in, having to halt his progression in this offense and start over. No progression. Must start over. Set back.

How is it a set back if he does better? Was KW set back in '99 with the hiring of Martz? As I've already said there's no reason why SB can't pick up a new system quickly. He may not with the next system....but no reason to think set back at this point.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Whatever. I don't care to argue over semantics. Let's just say it means nothing. He's not set back, he's not ahead of the curve, and he's nowhere in the middle.