Fisher announces Austin Davis is QB going forward

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
nixweiss.gif
I was positive too...i don't get a quote? :(
No quote for you.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

We don't do that here. I think the quote was "go perform a very difficult sexual act with yourself".:whistle:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
well you know the players better then me when you say they won't question anything. don't get me wrong i'm behind davis al the way. i really like how he never gives up on a play and never quits looking down field.but imo we should have started hill and if he did bad we have davis to come in and rally the team. if davis does bad we have to bring in a guy who was benched which i think would be harder to rally behind so i guess will just have to agree to disagree.
By the same token, if we bench a guy that clearly energized the offensive players, and bring a guy back in just because he may be safer, how does that play to the team? I think we have an opportunity for a young QB to grow up with a young team. Not sure but it may be a great situation for everyone. Of course it could backfire but I think the potential outweighs the pitfalls. Time will tell.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Glad Fisher finally came around but I didn't like the process that he took to get there. Starting Hill would have been a terrible choice IMO. Not because of Hill's ability but because Davis earned more playing time and not rewarding a guy who is performing well will likely be a detriment to the team's attitude.

Oh well, don't want to quibble about how we got here, just glad the "right" guy's starting and at the overall approach. Now, the team can see what it's got in Davis. It really killed me back in '98 when they kept playing Banks when EVERYONE could see the writing on the wall. When a season is lost, not that this year is, I don't know why more guys don't get an opportunity.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
well you know the players better then me when you say they won't question anything. don't get me wrong i'm behind davis al the way. i really like how he never gives up on a play and never quits looking down field.but imo we should have started hill and if he did bad we have davis to come in and rally the team. if davis does bad we have to bring in a guy who was benched which i think would be harder to rally behind so i guess will just have to agree to disagree.

Except you are still benching Davis in your plan and it might actually mess with Davis's confidence. Hill is a career backup that's been in the league for a decade. He knows who he is and can accept his role. Davis, on the other hand, is a 25 year old kid coming off his second start who threw two late INTs. Benching him risks destroying his confidence. There's no risk of that with Hill.

As far as rallying goes, if Hill is effective, they'll "rally" behind him. If not, they won't. Same would be true of Davis coming off the bench.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is the right call.

I am still unsure about Davis, but after these past two games Fisher would be BBQ'd if he lost against the Eagles with Hill.

Ride Davis. Hope he continues to play well. If not, you can go to Hill later.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Meh, I'm not happy. I wanted to see what Hill could do before Fish made a decision. I think this is short sighted. K. Cousins anyone? A good game does not a starter make.

All this does is reduce options. AD had better look like a superstar against the Eagles because it's the last "easier" game for awhile. Now, instead of going forward KNOWING Rams have the best QB on the field, we have to wait to see if AD flops. Not a good spot to be in for a winning season.
Bruh, I don't know if you realize but Davis has THE HIGHEST COMPLETION % in the NFL right now over those three games. One could make a case he is the most accurate QB in the NFL, that's not what I'm saying but when you can have our offense playing high against the Cowboys defense, better than Drew Brees. I really thought the Cowboys had a terrible defense but the way I saw them completely own NO gave me A LOT of confidence in what Davis was able to do. You gotta start em, ALL DAY AD09! :D

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I can't wait to see how Davis is playing once our defense starts to get hot!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Now lets see if Schotty puts in some new plays that emphasize Davis's strengths.

RamBill

Legend

Fisher names Davis starting QB

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0c35c5a5-4096-53dc-9fe1-54789f6c7618.html

With the bye week come and gone, and 13 weeks of uninterrupted football ahead for the Rams, coach Jeff Fisher felt it was time to make things official.

He called quarterbacks Austin Davis and Shaun Hill separately into his office Wednesday morning, telling Davis he was starting and Hill he was not.

It was absolutely no surprise to Rams Park regulars. Not only has Davis played well — surprisingly well — in his starts against Tampa Bay and Dallas, but he has been getting basically all the reps with the starters all along.

Those two facts spoke volumes, and meant more than anything Fisher put out for public consumption. Fisher didn’t have a change of heart, or realize the error of his ways. There was no error in his ways; Davis simply played too well to go back to the bench once Hill was healthy.

Fisher tries to be very loyal to his players; the last thing he wants to do is react in knee-jerk fashion to everything that happens on the football field, good or bad. He pretty much had his mind made up on Davis after the Tampa Bay game, but wanted to see a little more.

He saw much more than a “little more” against Dallas. So after getting Davis a couple more practices with the starting offense during the bye week, and with Hill healthy from the quad strain he suffered in the opener against Minnesota, Fisher went public with his decision: In Austin We Trust.

“We’re going to go ahead and start Austin for the remainder of the season,” Fisher said after Wednesday’s practice. “It’s not that Shaun lost the job, it’s that Austin earned an opportunity to keep it.

“Shaun understands, he’s a team player, he’s ready to come in at a moment’s notice. He is healthy enough to play this week.”

As might be expected, Hill wasn’t doing cartwheels over Wednesday’s developments. But true to form, he uttered no complaints.

“Obviously, it’s frustrating,” Hill said. “But I understand it. (Fisher)’s got a decision to make, and made a decision based on what he felt was best for the team. The team comes first. I’m a professional, I’ll come to work every day, and continue to try to help this team any way I can.”

At age 34, Hill had a rare chance to start all 16 games for the Rams following Sam Bradford’s season-ending knee injury against Cleveland in the third preseason game. But then came the quad injury against the Vikings.

“It’s a tough league, for tough-minded people,” Hill said. “And I put myself in that category.”

Hill said he could sense this was coming during the bye-week practices. Probably because Davis continued to get all the reps.

As for Davis, his increasingly incredible journey continues. Twelve months ago, he was a voluntary high school football coach at Westminster Christian Academy in suburban St. Louis. Six weeks ago, he was the Rams’ fourth-string quarterback, uncertain if he would make it to September.

Now, he’s the starter. And not just a week-to-week starter.

“My parting comments with Austin was I told him not to look over his shoulders,” Fisher said. “So he’s gonna take this team and run with it.”

And that meant a lot to Davis, 25.

“Obviously, I’m excited for the opportunity,” Davis said. “Coach Fish was very adamant not to look over my shoulder. We all kind of know his philosophy. He picks the guy and he sticks with him.”

Fisher tried to stick with Hill, but saw too much from Davis.

“I have to do what’s best for the football team, and in my opinion (Davis starting) is what’s best for the football team,” Fisher said. “We brought Shaun in here to back up, and I had all the confidence in the world in him.

“Who knows what would’ve happened had he not pulled his quad in Week 1? But you can’t go there right now. You have to base these decisions on what’s in front of us and what’s happened just recently.”

What’s happened recently is Davis guided the Rams to a 19-17 comeback victory at Tampa in Game 2, making several clutch throws in the fourth quarter of a see-saw contest. Against Dallas, Davis tossed three touchdown passes, threw for 327 yards, and helped the Rams pile up 448 yards — their highest total in a regulation contest in 30 games.

Davis leads the NFL in completion percentage (72.3) and ranks sixth in yards per attempt (8.02). How do you turn your back on that? The answer is: You don’t.

“Really nothing changes for me,” Davis said. “I don’t want to get to the mindset of looking ahead. We’ll just keep doing what we’re doing, take one game at a time, and I think it’ll be much more manageable that way.”

Davis was barely out of his meeting with Fisher when he told his wife. “She likes to hear the news first,” Davis said, smiling. “She’s excited, but she knows it brings on a little more responsibility.”

Davis’ teammates were anything but surprised, and totally supportive, when quizzed about the QB news.

“I think he’s earned the opportunity,” wide receiver Austin Pettis said. “I think Coach is right to continue with him. He’s got the hot hand right now. So we just ride him out, and see how well he can keep on doing.”

And from Kenny Britt: “As a receiver group, we’re definitely comfortable with him back there, and him in the huddle. From the first and second (starts) you could tell that his confidence level was out of the roof. He’s taken control in the huddle. So we’re behind him 100 percent.”

Rambition

Rookie
Meh, I'm not happy. I wanted to see what Hill could do before Fish made a decision. I think this is short sighted. K. Cousins anyone? A good game does not a starter make.

All this does is reduce options. AD had better look like a superstar against the Eagles because it's the last "easier" game for awhile. Now, instead of going forward KNOWING Rams have the best QB on the field, we have to wait to see if AD flops. Not a good spot to be in for a winning season.
i agree.

I want to see what Keenum can do yet, and Gilbert also, let's give them each 4 games and whoever has the best record over those 4 games is our starter next season. I just hope we don't commit to the 4 game plan then one of them gets injured and we bring in a 5th QB then we're really screwed.

I try to do that anyway.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
FUCKING FISHER YOU JINXED US! Your supposed to say " We will rally around Austin Davis and play good football!!" Not this short hook crap...... jeez we are screwed.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I want to see what Keenum can do yet, and Gilbert also, let's give them each 4 games and whoever has the best record over those 4 games is our starter next season. I just hope we don't commit to the 4 game plan then one of them gets injured and we bring in a 5th QB then we're really screwed.

Are you cereal?