Fisher announces Austin Davis is QB going forward

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Really?
tumblr_my0r9hEpot1rm1xhko2_r1_250.gif

You better get on board the A train ;)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think it's simply comes down to opportunityno more or less
It really could be that simple. We've heard of so many QBs looking great in practice but in the game? There are game players and there are practice players. Some guys need that rush.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I like the decision. Hopefully this will also allow AD to maybe also feel more comfortable in his role as #1 QB.

And great emoticon @rambone

i think i will wait till after we play seattle and arizona before i'll be converted. i really hope he plays well because if he dosen't where do we go. do we bring in the 4th stringer or play the qb we already benched once.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
i think i will wait till after we play seattle and arizona before i'll be converted. i really hope he plays well because if he dosen't where do we go. do we bring in the 4th stringer or play the qb we already benched once.
Yeah - I'm not rushing to judgment either. I like what I have seen so far in limited action. That's all. But I think it is the right move. Time will tell. For now though, I am lock step behind AD.

Athos

Legend
I'm happy. Bad starts are expecting. Less than stellar ones too. I promise I won't get caught up too much.

But this is what needed to happen. 3rd year in the system for Davis. Or is it the 4th? Regardless, you have to know what you have in Davis for next year.

Whether that's as a competent backup QB, a "vet" than can allow a higher drafted QB to sit on the bench and develop, or the starting QB of the future.

He improved from his "stop start" against the Vikings, to TB, to Dallas. Look forward to what he can do next.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Meh, I'm not happy. I wanted to see what Hill could do before Fish made a decision. I think this is short sighted. K. Cousins anyone? A good game does not a starter make.

All this does is reduce options. AD had better look like a superstar against the Eagles because it's the last "easier" game for awhile. Now, instead of going forward KNOWING Rams have the best QB on the field, we have to wait to see if AD flops. Not a good spot to be in for a winning season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh, I'm not happy. I wanted to see what Hill could do before Fish made a decision. I think this is short sighted. K. Cousins anyone? A good game does not a starter make.

All this does is reduce options. AD had better look like a superstar against the Eagles because it's the last "easier" game for awhile. Now, instead of going forward KNOWING Rams have the best QB on the field, we have to wait to see if AD flops. Not a good spot to be in for a winning season.

We, and Fisher, know what Hill can do. If anything, it's the opposite. Short-sighted would be seeing what Hill can do to figure out which QB wins more games for us this year. Thinking with foresight means seeing what Austin Davis can offer because he can be a more long term asset...whether that's as a good backup QB or possibly(but unlikely) as a future starter).

As you said, if he flops, you go right back to Hill. If he doesn't, though, you're much better off. Fisher is simply showing confidence in Davis and seeing what he can offer because he has a future. Hill is on a 1 year deal and not far from retirement.

I don't see how it reduces options. Shaun Hill will be there either ways. And the guy came into the year knowing he's a backup so it's not like he has an ego or confidence issues that this will effect.

RamzFanz

Damnit
We, and Fisher, know what Hill can do. If anything, it's the opposite. Short-sighted would be seeing what Hill can do to figure out which QB wins more games for us this year. Thinking with foresight means seeing what Austin Davis can offer because he can be a more long term asset...whether that's as a good backup QB or possibly(but unlikely) as a future starter).

As you said, if he flops, you go right back to Hill. If he doesn't, though, you're much better off. Fisher is simply showing confidence in Davis and seeing what he can offer because he has a future. Hill is on a 1 year deal and not far from retirement.

I don't see how it reduces options. Shaun Hill will be there either ways. And the guy came into the year knowing he's a backup so it's not like he has an ego or confidence issues that this will effect.

Fisher said AD is not on a short hook. If that's true, we are going to hate it if AD flops and 4 losses from now Hill comes in and lights it up.

I'd rather see what the Rams can do THIS season since there's still time to turn it around.

AD is a good QB so far. Is good going to be enough?

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

I don't see how it reduces options. Shaun Hill will be there either ways. And the guy came into the year knowing he's a backup so it's not like he has an ego or confidence issues that this will effect.[/QUOTE]

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Do people still wanna question Fisher now?

Good call, Fisher. Let's increase the sample size for his body of work and see what we've got. If he continues playing at this level, then our QB situation this coming offseason will at least have some clarity.

This makes me happy, at least for a while.

Ask me again after 3:30 on Sunday (CDT).

And So the Future Begins!!! Best of Luck to young Davis and here is to a winning season hopefully.

How do you know that Davis won't? No one knows so you're left with going with the person that could be here next year and beyond. This could have major ramifications on who the Rams draft next year.

I'm glad he's made a decision rather than keeping everything in limbo.

I liked Hill, and feel bad for him, but Davis has shown promise and you can't stick that on the bench right now.

Right decision I think. His performance has been good enough to warrant it. Feel bad for Hill because he'd possibly have put up similar if not better numbers and wins but as others have said we just don't know - so you take the production you've got going. Good for AD.

it's about time Fisher realized what we all knew after the Dallas game LOL

Great choice, Fisher. Glad you didn't let the fans down. Austin Davis is a fan favorite. He works hard, and he's a fiery and energetic guy that the team rallies around. He'll make his share of mistakes, but I can't wait to see him develop, hopefully, into something special and maybe even our QB for the next 10 years. You never know.

I like the decision. Hopefully this will also allow AD to maybe also feel more comfortable in his role as #1 QB.

Such great news. Hope Davis does great and shows what he can do for the rest of the year.

Another year. I'm not saying he will be great but who knows. And some times a light does just come on for players.

Hope the kid does great and makes Fisher look like a genius,we need somudat .

You better get on board the A train ;)

And everyone is going to be blown away. Fasten your sealtbelts

All of this Positive boys, way to be positive. I have seen enough to be excited about the possibilities and I think the damage done to Davis confidence is much greater than that of the journeyman backup Hill. I like Hill a lot and thought he played well in his short stint but I also think he is much better prepared to handle his role and will be ready if needed. If the situation were reversed I would have much greater concern for Davis subbing in for Hill.
Lets make some magic AD

Athos

Legend
Fisher said AD is not on a short hook. If that's true, we are going to hate it if AD flops and 4 losses from now Hill comes in and lights it up.

I'd rather see what the Rams can do THIS season since there's still time to turn it around.

AD is a good QB so far. Is good going to be enough?

And if, in your preferred strategy, Hill starts, but flops, then what? Just return to Davis? Either of them flapping against the easier of the games left on our schedule isn't a good thing.

Best to just not dwell on these things anymore. We lost our starting QB. Anything any of these QBs do is just gravy at this point. But whatever they do won't matter if the D doesn't step up.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
One other thing Davis has the edge over Hill aside from youth and upside is familiarity with the system. Schotteheimer may not be the best playcaller but when players are executing assignments, you can see why he managed to push the Jets into two AFC championship games with the Dirty Sanchez. It all comes down to execution and Davis has the best chance of knowing what to do with his assignments over Hill.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I will be there live to see the new starting qb for the Rams called Austin Davis ! Good luck to us all going forward, it was a smart choice in my opinion. I was on board with him since the Tampa game. I am so freaking excited for this game you wouldn't believe........