Fisher announces Austin Davis is QB going forward

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
Great choice, Fisher. Glad you didn't let the fans down. Austin Davis is a fan favorite. He works hard, and he's a fiery and energetic guy that the team rallies around. He'll make his share of mistakes, but I can't wait to see him develop, hopefully, into something special and maybe even our QB for the next 10 years. You never know.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m with Fisher on this one. Doing it his way. Why rush? Because the media says so?

The numbers tell the story and say what you might, Fisher is no fool. He’d also have to explain to his players why the best man at the time wasn’t going to start.

Go Rams!

Plus... the media has eyes... tghey see who's taking snaps with the ones.

The "secret" never was going to be kept all week. ;)

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Surprised we haven't seen any more Kurt Warner 2.0 articles.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I like the decision. Hopefully this will also allow AD to maybe also feel more comfortable in his role as #1 QB.

And great emoticon @rambone

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Such great news. Hope Davis does great and shows what he can do for the rest of the year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Seriously don't like the headline. But here's to seeing what we actually have in Davis as the starter.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeff Fisher: Austin Davis is starter
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...arterback-st-louis-rams?ex_cid=espnapi_public

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher officially named Austin Davis his starting quarterback on Wednesday afternoon.

That's not much of a departure from what has taken place in each of the past two games but it does represent a shift in what Fisher has been willing to say publicly.

Since veteran backup Shaun Hill suffered a calf injury in the season opener against Minnesota, Fisher has been adamant that Hill would resume starting duties when healthy.

But Davis played well enough in starts against Tampa Bay and Dallas that Fisher was forced to reconsider.

"We're going to go ahead and start Austin for the remainder of the season," Fisher said. "It's not that Shaun lost the job. It's that Austin earned an opportunity to keep it. Shaun understands. He's a team player. In my parting comments with Austin, I told him not to look over his shoulder. So he's going to take this team and run with it."

Fisher informed Hill and Davis of his decision in his office Wednesday morning. After Davis threw for 235 yards and led the Rams on a game-winning drive against the Buccaneers, Fisher began leaning toward giving him a bigger opportunity.

When Davis followed with a 327-yard, three-touchdown effort in a losing cause against Dallas, Fisher's mind was made up.

"I think it's important that you avoid the questions, you avoid the controversies and things like that," Fisher said. "Yes, I did say that Shaun was our quarterback. My job is to make the right decisions.

"[Davis] deserved it. He deserves an opportunity. He's worked very hard. I think he's proven that with a week's worth of preparation what he can do on the field."

In two starts plus a half of relief behind Hill, Davis has thrown for 754 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions for a passer rating of 93.1 and a QBR of 66.7. His 72.3 percent completion rate is first in the NFL.

Davis said he didn't spend much time thinking about his role over the past few weeks but is pleased to know that he's getting an extended chance at the job.

"Obviously, I'm just excited for the opportunity to have a good chance to go play," Davis said. "Coach Fish was very adamant not to look over your shoulder. He picks a guy and he sticks with him. That vote of confidence is huge. I really appreciate that."

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They cut this guy last year and here he is looking pretty darn good. I wonder what happened between then and now.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
FUCK YES!!! picked him up off waivers last night to boot oh this just made my day, I love you Jeff Fisher. (no homo)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They cut this guy last year and here he is looking pretty darn good. I wonder what happened between then and now.
Another year. I'm not saying he will be great but who knows. And some times a light does just come on for players.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every time we name a starter they go down too injury. Dam!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Whatever the coach says ,he knows who else's job is on the line because of the decision, I would have stuck to my guns on Hill ,had to be tough to tell him he was making the change .
Hope the kid does great and makes Fisher look like a genius,we need somudat .

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Atta boy Jeff!
See...now if Austin struggles you can just go back to your original #2 QB and no one will blink an eye. Trying to play the old school, loyalty card over backup's is a silly proposition.

Great move!
tumblr_myu15yphg51s67vyfo5_r1_250.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good call, Fisher. Let's increase the sample size for his body of work and see what we've got. If he continues playing at this level, then our QB situation this coming offseason will at least have some clarity.
Exactly. Assets.