Fisher announces Austin Davis is QB going forward

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My point is that Hill had the team humming and was driving the ball. His performance was very good. He didn't create penalties like Davis has (he admitted it), he had drives killed by penalties.

Davis has had ONE great game. That game came against a suspect defense. It wasn't even a great game so much as a great half. He's had ONE win against a horrible defense who gave up 56 points the very next week. I'm not con-Davis, I'm pro-Davis, but building a season around him as a starter without seeing what the vet on the team has to offer is a mistake IMHO.

I thought it was a mistake to not see what AD had last season and I think it's a mistake to not see what Hill has this season. I don't give a hoot about who's going to be the backup or starter next season, I want to see a winning season THIS season.

Now, say what you will, the season will play out and we'll see if AD is who many have anointed him to be. I hope so. I always have hoped so. But I also wish they hadn't have acted so hastily.

And that would be why you start him to see if that game was a fluke or not. He played well against Dallas and TB as the starter. You see what he's made of. If he's not up to the task, you put Hill back in. Hill will be fine. He's a career backup. He knows his role.

What you shouldn't do is pull a young guy who, by your own words, is coming off a great game to see what Hill can offer. The reward is far less than the risk.

RamzFanz

Damnit
And that would be why you start him to see if that game was a fluke or not. He played well against Dallas and TB as the starter. You see what he's made of. If he's not up to the task, you put Hill back in. Hill will be fine. He's a career backup. He knows his role.

What you shouldn't do is pull a young guy who, by your own words, is coming off a great game to see what Hill can offer. The reward is far less than the risk.

I guess I just see AD on the bench last season while KC dialed up a losing season. I know it's ironic, but if Hill IS better and he is on the bench... that would just suck.

The problem with benching Hill is AD could play the whole season to a 7-9 or 8-8 and keep the job just like KC when, perhaps, we have a better QB on the bench.

Anyway, good discussion. I got pissed when people were putting words in my mouth and I should have just laughed it off.

GO RAMS!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I just see AD on the bench last season while KC dialed up a losing season. I know it's ironic, but if Hill IS better and he is on the bench... that would just suck.

The problem with benching Hill is AD could play the whole season to a 7-9 or 8-8 and keep the job just like KC when, perhaps, we have a better QB on the bench.

Anyway, good discussion. I got pissed when people were putting words in my mouth and I should have just laughed it off.

GO RAMS!

I think the issue is that we know what Hill offers. He's had a long career. Could he turn into Rich Gannon? Sure. But it's unlikely. We saw him in Week 1. He's, imo, the same guy he has always has been. And there's nothing wrong with that. But if Davis proves to be more, he's worth sticking with. If he proves to be less...well, you know...

I just don't see a ton of potential for a winning season with Hill right now based on how the defense is playing.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think the issue is that we know what Hill offers. He's had a long career. Could he turn into Rich Gannon? Sure. But it's unlikely. We saw him in Week 1. He's, imo, the same guy he has always has been. And there's nothing wrong with that. But if Davis proves to be more, he's worth sticking with. If he proves to be less...well, you know...

I just don't see a ton of potential for a winning season with Hill right now based on how the defense is playing.
Go watch game one again. I just did.

Hill is a star, Shotty calls a stupid TA up the middle play, the O line fails, Hill is a star. That's how the first half of game one went.

I didn't see a bad play by Hill. There was a spectacular interception grab when he was throwing away the ball for his first half of a first Rams game, but that was his only mistake. He threw lights out. He scrambled and extended plays.

After reviewing the first game again, I'm even more certain the AD decision was premature. I'm NOT saying AD isn't good, I AM saying they should have taken a second look at SH. Dude is SOLID.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Hill is a star, Shotty calls a stupid TA up the middle play, the O line fails, Hill is a star. That's how the first half of game one went.

I didn't see a bad play by Hill. There was a spectacular interception grab when he was throwing away the ball for his first half of a first Rams game, but that was his only mistake. He threw lights out. He scrambled and extended plays.

After reviewing the first game again, I'm even more certain the AD decision was premature. I'm NOT saying AD isn't good, I AM saying they should have taken a second look at SH. Dude is SOLID.

Hill is a star? RF, I think you're off base here.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Hill is a star? RF, I think you're off base here.

Without Bradford for this entire year, we'd be a 2 or 3 win team. With our brutal schedule down the stretch, I see 1 or 2 wins max. The QB is just too important especially when you don't have a capable backup. If we had a Shaun Hill type backup, I'd feel like we might be able to be competitive. But not with Clemens imo.

In terms of talent, we aren't one of the worst but talent isn't everything. Ask the 2011 Colts.

As far as the defense, I didn't see anything promising in that game against Carolina except for the run defense early on. Quinn is still tearing it up too. The pass defense is as vomit worthy as ever.

You wanted SH over KC. I would agree.

I wanted AD over KC and I was attacked for saying that.

Now I just want to SEE SH after a very good game one performance and I get jumped on again.

Whatever. I'd rather be the naysayer that was correct than the band wagoner who was wrong.

RamzFanz

Damnit
OMG, I can't believe how many rams fans have ZERO knowledge of one game wonders and that didn't even consider how good SH was week one. This is how I crush in FF, I exploit emotional decisions. I was so pissed I couldn't grab AD, but not because I thought he would deliver points, but because he would deliver fools. Dude who grabbed AD thinks he has a player. I think he has an emotional trader, but he better trade him now.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Yeah, I wasn't as impressed as you. 235 yards and 0 TDs. The Dallas game though, I was there, dude went OFF:

I'm not jumping on the AD band wagon after 1 great game when the experienced and more impressive QB is on the bench.
Look. Not only did Davis complete 75% of his passes, but he had a 98 QB rating. The offense moved the ball, even though they only scored one TD. And we won! You'd think that might sway your opinion some.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You wanted SH over KC. I would agree.

I wanted AD over KC and I was attacked for saying that.

Now I just want to SEE SH after a very good game one performance and I get jumped on again.

Whatever. I'd rather be the naysayer that was correct than the band wagoner who was wrong.

Yep, I did. You're not getting jumped on by me. I simply disagree with your opinion.

I did want SH over Clemens. Now I want AD over SH because he's earned it.

You can be the naysayer, that's your choice. Just don't convince yourself that your way is the only way. There are plenty of good reasons to start Davis...and imo, there are less to start Hill.

The biggest reason is...Davis has a future, Hill doesn't. In a situation like this, how do you not go with the guy that has potential to be an asset to your team in the future?

Lets be frank, we're without our starting QB and our defense has played like crap. The odds of us making the playoffs don't look too great right now. Things can certainly change but the win now argument is just plain flawed. Even if you assume that Hill gives us the better chance to win now(a very questionable assumption), how likely are our chances of winning now?

If Davis continues to play lights out, they're a whole lot higher than with Hill. We know who Hill is. And that's a steady, solid player. We don't know who Davis is. But if he ends up being better than what Hill is, he's a MAJOR asset to this team. And if we get lucky enough that the guy looks like a legitimate starting QB, he's a god send.

Maybe I end up being the "band wagoner that's wrong" and you end up being the "naysayer that's right" but fuck it, I believe in taking risks. Hill is the safe option. Davis is the risky option. But Davis has upside that Hill simply doesn't offer. I'm going to trust my eyes and my gut. They tell me that it's worth seeing what Davis can and can't do before making a decision on whether to go back to Hill.

In 2006, the Cowboys gave a little known UDFA backup QB from Eastern Illinois a shot after the erratic play of starter, Drew Bledsoe. That QB came in and had some ups and downs but they stuck with him, he got it all together, and has gone to multiple Pro Bowls. Will Davis share a similar fate to Romo? Odds are...no. But if there's even a chance he does, he offers this team far more than Shaun Hill. And there's definitely a chance. He showed against Dallas and Tampa that he can play QB at this level. Now we'll find out how well.

You didn't grasp the timeline.

I won't grasp any timeline where Shaun Hill is a star.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OMG, I can't believe how many rams fans have ZERO knowledge of one game wonders and that didn't even consider how good SH was week one. This is how I crush in FF, I exploit emotional decisions. I was so pissed I couldn't grab AD, but not because I thought he would deliver points, but because he would deliver fools. Dude who grabbed AD thinks he has a player. I think he has an emotional trader, but he better trade him now.

I think a lot of Rams fans have considered how good Hill was in Week 1 and simply disagree with you. No need to insult their intelligence/knowledge. I have quite a bit of knowledge of players who had short term success that led to nothing. BUT HOW WILL YOU KNOW IF YOU DON'T SEE WHERE THE SUCCESS LEADS?

How can you propose we just say, "Oh, he's just a one(two) game wonder, start Hill." How the hell are we supposed to know that NOW? That would be the point of starting the guy.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yep, I did. You're not getting jumped on by me. I simply disagree with your opinion.

I did want SH over Clemens. Now I want AD over SH because he's earned it.

You can be the naysayer, that's your choice. Just don't convince yourself that your way is the only way. There are plenty of good reasons to start Davis...and imo, there are less to start Hill.

The biggest reason is...Davis has a future, Hill doesn't. In a situation like this, how do you not go with the guy that has potential to be an asset to your team in the future?

Lets be frank, we're without our starting QB and our defense has played like crap. The odds of us making the playoffs don't look too great right now. Things can certainly change but the win now argument is just plain flawed. Even if you assume that Hill gives us the better chance to win now(a very questionable assumption), how likely are our chances of winning now?

If Davis continues to play lights out, they're a whole lot higher than with Hill. We know who Hill is. And that's a steady, solid player. We don't know who Davis is. But if he ends up being better than what Hill is, he's a MAJOR asset to this team. And if we get lucky enough that the guy looks like a legitimate starting QB, he's a god send.

Maybe I end up being the "band wagoner that's wrong" and you end up being the "naysayer that's right" but freak it, I believe in taking risks. Hill is the safe option. Davis is the risky option. But Davis has upside that Hill simply doesn't offer. I'm going to trust my eyes and my gut. They tell me that it's worth seeing what Davis can and can't do before making a decision on whether to go back to Hill.

In 2006, the Cowboys gave a little known UDFA backup QB from Eastern Illinois a shot after the erratic play of starter, Drew Bledsoe. That QB came in and had some ups and downs but they stuck with him, he got it all together, and has gone to multiple Pro Bowls. Will Davis share a similar fate to Romo? Odds are...no. But if there's even a chance he does, he offers this team far more than Shaun Hill. And there's definitely a chance. He showed against Dallas and Tampa that he can play QB at this level. Now we'll find out how well.

I won't grasp any timeline where Shaun Hill is a star.

I'm seeing a bandwagon mentality in obvious contradiction to reality. AD has one good game. AD has one good game. AD has one good game. AD has one good game.

jjab360

Legend

I have no idea how you came away with Hill being a "star" in that game, but weren't impressed by Davis against TB. It is truly beyond me.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm seeing a bandwagon mentality in obvious contradiction to reality. AD has one good game. AD has one good game. AD has one good game. AD has one good game.
Fanz , I share your trepidation to some extent and definitely believe there is a bandwagon in play, but Fisher is driving that bandwagon and since the decision is made IMA go with it.
I think Hill did perform very well and has proven he can play well enough to stay in the league 13 years .I think his age is relevant in that I'm sure he's more prone to injury, isn't going to recover as quickly and has a bit of a gut on him so I don't think he worked out as hard as Sam in the off season , IMO that injury he got was very likely because he wasn't in that great a shape .
But man don't you want to see that bandwagon roll on ?
I've been on board with the when Hill gets healthy he's the starter Fish has been sellin' all along , but NOW consider what I said about whether Hills physical condition doesn't make him unreliable TO start the rest of the games .
I don't really know what I'd do if I was Fisher ,but since he's got the best info ,might as well hope for the best and come on board the bandwagon, we've expressed our misgivings that there might be some irrational exuberance without much of a professional body of work to consider ,but the kid is a gamer ,I have always said I want to see him against an elite defense ,luckily he gets another game before he hits that

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

No. Davis had a good game against TB and a great game against Dallas. He's currently leading the NFL in completion% and top 10 in YPA. On the field, I feel like he's performed quite well.

And stop with the reality bullshit. That phrase annoys me. Your opinion isn't reality. It's an opinion like mine. Either of us could be right, either of us could be wrong. But I'm keeping an open mind on Davis and wanting to see where he leads. He might end up being a disaster when teams get film on him or he might end up being a good QB for us.

moklerman

Warner-phile
No. Davis had a good game against TB and a great game against Dallas. He's currently leading the NFL in completion% and top 10 in YPA. On the field, I feel like he's performed quite well.

And stop with the reality bullcrap. That phrase annoys me. Your opinion isn't reality. It's an opinion like mine. Either of us could be right, either of us could be wrong. But I'm keeping an open mind on Davis and wanting to see where he leads. He might end up being a disaster when teams get film on him or he might end up being a good QB for us.
Kudos for trying Jrry32 but you should have stopped when "Shaun Hill is a star" was offered.

To me, Davis doesn't have to completely separate himself from Hill anyway. He just has to do what Hill would. He's 10 years younger and cheaper and knows the system better. But Davis has outplayed Hill and IMO, as disappointing as it is to say, outplayed Bradford.

For whatever reason, Davis makes this offense work. And that warrants a LOT of credit. Maybe Hill would have. Maybe Bradford would have taken another step and gotten better too. But in his first two starts, Davis is off the charts. He hasn't been making bad reads or bad decisions and at the end of the day, this offense produces with him.

No way does Hill "deserve" to start at this point. He's on a one year contract, established what he is and likely won't be playing much longer. Not only that, he got his chance to start when Bradford went down and couldn't even make it through one start before getting dinged up. As happy as I was that he was brought in as the backup for Bradford I don't think he's anyone's wish for a starter.

But even if we all agreed that the Rams have to play to win now, Davis has been outperforming Hill anyway. So, Davis is younger, knows the system better, completes a higher % of passes for more yards per attempt and the offense scores more points when he's in there and he's doing all this in his first two starts as a pro. He's gotten better every game he's played and he's already playing well. What, in all of that would lead one to want to start an aging, career backup instead?

Davis is a potential diamond in the rough, value at the QB position that would rival or exceed what Kaepernick, Wilson, etc. have given our division rivals. Hill is a good backup.