Fish on the #1 pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
-Fisher loves a big arm
-Fisher hates taking chances
-Fisher values athleticism over football IQ
-Fisher values smart QB play over forcing plays with risk

These things all contradict one another and have been used to point to who the Rams will pick. I don't understand how anyone can be certain at this point.

Fisher wants a Quarterback who passes first and avoids the rush second, he wants a Quarterback who is accurate and can fit throws into tight windows, Fisher wants a Quarterback who has a larger body of work and he wants a Quarterback he trusts on 3 down and 8.and will be a starter come the Eve of September plus Fisher wants a Quarterback to stay in the pocket and make the throw...IMHO.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Fisher wants a Quarterback who passes first and avoids the rush second, he wants a Quarterback who is accurate and can fit throws into tight windows, Fisher wants a Quarterback who has a larger body of work and he wants a Quarterback he trusts on 3 down and 8.and will be a starter come the Eve of September plus Fisher wants a Quarterback to stay in the pocket and make the throw...IMHO.
JARED GOFF! JARED GOFF! ;)

DB16

UDFA
Name
Dennis B.
I hope its Wentz but everyone and their mom in the league are saying it's Goff

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Your avatar says Goff and it's because of the success of Rob Havenstein the Rams will go Goff...Havenstein had a ton of starts and success, but everyone said about Havenstein "What you see is what you get, he has no upside." Well, if no upside is not giving up a quarterback sack as a rookie, I will take the floor over the ceiling every time!

This regime drafted Isiah Pead and Brian Quick based on upside, those days are gone!

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Your avatar says Goff and it's because of the success of Rob Havenstein the Rams will go Goff...Havenstein had a ton of starts and success, but everyone said about Havenstein "What you see is what you get, he has no upside." Well, if no upside is not giving up a quarterback sack as a rookie, I will take the floor over the ceiling every time!

This regime drafted Isiah Pead and Brian Quick based on upside, those days are gone!
+1000, if only they would have went with this approach earlier we'd more than likely have Alshon Jeffrey.

DB16

UDFA
Name
Dennis B.

Gurley was drafted on upside. Turned out well for us. Guy was injured for an undisclosed time. If we drafted just high floor, we would've went with Melvin Gordon is we still drafted a running back. Offensive line should be a good floor. Quarterback should be high ceiling.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well what is interesting about Wentz is he's not exactly a low floor prospect. He is very, very savvy for a QB prospect in terms of scheme and protection knowledge. IMO if you stuck him in there week one he'd give this team a better chance to win than Keenum and it's not close in my estimation.

Goff is the same way of course, think he is our starter week one for sure if he's the pick. He won't need long to pick up the Rams offense and there is no way Keenum can compete with him when the staff sees him hitting Tavon in stride on deep outs and down the sideline over and over and over during camp and preseason.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gurley was drafted on upside. Turned out well for us. Guy was injured for an undisclosed time. If we drafted just high floor, we would've went with Melvin Gordon is we still drafted a running back. Offensive line should be a good floor. Quarterback should be high ceiling.

They took a chance because of injury, but everyone had Gurley rated above Gordon for his body of work and Quarterback should have a high ceiling, but I will take the body of work against better competition especially the accuracy, which IMHO, is the most important when judging a Quarterback.

So I will take the guy two years younger who played against better competition and had a Touchdown to interception ratio in the Red Zone of 56/1.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure who they'll take - something tells me Goff, so it's probably Wentz

You and me both. First I was all Wentz. The size, the strength, the mobility. The possibility of pairing him with Gurley and Austin in the running game. Then I watched a lot of video on Goff and I thought, 'man, this kid is good too'. The competition thing vs. the under center thing. Figured they'd go Goff especially after reading many of Mac's posts. Now I don't freakin know and like CGI, I'm flipping multiple times a day!!! I do know this. I care but I don't. I believe either will put us over the hump.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Goff was "eating an It's It." Well. I hope they got him a few Double-Doubles at In 'N Out as well. Goff needs to put on some weight. He's awfully thin and I worry about him taking the punishment at the NFL level.

From what I've absorbed since the Rams grabbed the #1 pick, Goff is favored by the analytics and Wentz is favored by the pure football guys. Kroenke is an analytics guy and his teams spend a lot of time studying the analytics. Obviously I don't know what, or how many, guys have a voice in the debate between Goff and Wentz in the "war room." At this point, I almost don't have any strong feelings one way or the other. Both guys are better than what the Rams have. Whomever they take, I just hope he doesn't get Bulgerized. The Rams need a 10+ year, 16 game per season (at least) starting QB.

If it is indeed Goff, I can already see him being called Goof if/when he screws up...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
You and me both. First I was all Wentz. The size, the strength, the mobility. The possibility of pairing him with Gurley and Austin in the running game. Then I watched a lot of video on Goff and I thought, 'man, this kid is good too'. The competition thing vs. the under center thing. Figured they'd go Goff especially after reading many of Mac's posts. Now I don't freakin know and like CGI, I'm flipping multiple times a day!!! I do know this. I care but I don't. I believe either will put us over the hump.
The more tape i see the more I'm leaning towards Goff, he just looks like a quicker thinker, if you know what I mean, and again I worry that Wentz' instinct is to run if his first read isn't open, and I dont like the idea of seeing him run so much in the NFL.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Goff was "eating an It's It." Well. I hope they got him a few Double-Doubles at In 'N Out as well. Goff needs to put on some weight. He's awfully thin and I worry about him taking the punishment at the NFL level.

From what I've absorbed since the Rams grabbed the #1 pick, Goff is favored by the analytics and Wentz is favored by the pure football guys. Kroenke is an analytics guy and his teams spend a lot of time studying the analytics. Obviously I don't know what, or how many, guys have a voice in the debate between Goff and Wentz in the "war room." At this point, I almost don't have any strong feelings one way or the other. Both guys are better than what the Rams have. Whomever they take, I just hope he doesn't get Bulgerized. The Rams need a 10+ year, 16 game per season (at least) starting QB.

If it is indeed Goff, I can already see him being called Goof if/when he screws up...

Apparently the weight thing with Goff has been resolved. His Personal trainer has revealed that he (Goff) has an enzyme deficiency that didn't allow him to break down protein like other athletes, so even though he'd be stockpiling the protein, he just wasn't bulking up. His diet has now been adjusted and they've implemented probiotics and he's on some amino acid supplements. After the diet change he's bulked up 15 pounds and reduced body fat by 3% - but also his physical strength has improved. Before the diet change he could back deadlift 330 pounds / 5 reps after the diet change that went up to 495 pounds / 5 reps - thats a massive difference - and after ONLY 5 WEEKS of the diet change. He believes that Goff will be 240 pounds within a couple of years, easily.

This personal trainer, who's worked with (in the last 2 years) Russell Wilson, James Winston, Marcus Mariota, Johnny Manziel AND Carson Wentz said that Goff has the "best footwork in the pocket of ANY QB he's ever worked with - he's just so natural".

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The more tape i see the more I'm leaning towards Goff, he just looks like a quicker thinker, if you know what I mean, and again I worry that Wentz' instinct is to run if his first read isn't open, and I dont like the idea of seeing him run so much in the NFL.
Agree. I really like both QBs, but the more I watch of Goff, the better I see him fitting with the passing offense we will likely implement. Quick throws that require accuracy (to include ball placement where WR can catch and run) and a quick release. Also the ability to look off safeties and throw the ball accurately downfield. I just think that Goff checks all of those boxes right now. Wentz most likely will as well, but right now.....I like Goff.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ditto!! But I don't Like to follow the pack, I'm literally Betting on Wentz! ( But only with ROD$$$$!):shades:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Agree. I really like both QBs, but the more I watch of Goff, the better I see him fitting with the passing offense we will likely implement. Quick throws that require accuracy (to include ball placement where WR can catch and run) and a quick release. Also the ability to look off safeties and throw the ball accurately downfield. I just think that Goff checks all of those boxes right now. Wentz most likely will as well, but right now.....I like Goff.
And I think we need to win right now

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well what is interesting about Wentz is he's not exactly a low floor prospect. He is very, very savvy for a QB prospect in terms of scheme and protection knowledge. IMO if you stuck him in there week one he'd give this team a better chance to win than Keenum and it's not close in my estimation.

Goff is the same way of course, think he is our starter week one for sure if he's the pick. He won't need long to pick up the Rams offense and there is no way Keenum can compete with him when the staff sees him hitting Tavon in stride on deep outs and down the sideline over and over and over during camp and preseason.
I completely agree, But I can't stop thinking, Wentz can Run too! IF he has to! Just saying.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Trust me...if I had the power to influence the Rams' FO, we'd have drafted Alshon Jeffery who I was banging the table for while people were saying he was a fat diva who'd be the next Mike Williams...