First-round prospect CB Gareon Conley faces sexual assault allegation/Raiders take a chance on him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.cleveland19.com/story/35...of-sexual-assault-at-downtown-cleveland-hotel

Top NFL Draft prospect accused of sexual assault at downtown Cleveland hotel
Posted by Dan DeRoos, Reporter

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

There have been numerous conversations at Cleveland 19 News about the report you are about to read. There's a lot at stake. It involves a young woman who said she was sexually assaulted, a young man who is about to start his NFL career, and a team who may be taking a huge risk drafting a player who's under investigation right here in Cleveland.

Police radio traffic coming from downtown Cleveland's Westin Hotel after 3 a.m. Sunday, April 9 sheds light on the moment officers arrived on scene: "Officers on scene, no call back -- 23-year-old female conscious and breathing, victim of a sexual assault."

The accused is a college football player who is expected to be taken in the first round of Thursday's NFL Draft.

We are not naming the player because we're waiting for the police report. And we want to be very clear he has not been officially charged with a crime at this point.

By phone, investigative producer Cassie Nist spoke to the player's attorney, Kevin Spellacy, who said he is representing the player in this matter, but said the accusations are "ludicrous and ridiculous."

"In my opinion this young lady is an opportunist and it's actually despicable," said Spellacy.

The player's attorney says it all started at the Barley House on West 6th Street, when a group left there to go to the Westin for a hotel room party. He said his client was never alone with the alleged victim, and he has three witnesses who said he did nothing wrong.

When police arrived at the Westin, the player had already left. The attorney said he is willing to bring his client in to be interviewed by police, but not right away. He has made arrangements for the interview to be held right after the NFL Draft.

There is a lot at stake. It's just days before the draft and one of the top picks has his name on paperwork somewhere on a Cleveland detective's desk. We'd like to see that paperwork. Normally we can. But for some reason we -- the media -- are being held up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...faces-sexual-assault-allegation-in-cleveland/

Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2017

Spellacy said he’s willing to make the player available for an interview with police immediately after the draft.

Why not do it before the draft? Because if the player is interviewed — and if the news get out as to who the player is — a potential La’El Collins situation could emerge. Two years ago, Collins was questioned in connection with a murder. Because he wasn’t cleared from involvement before the draft, he tumbled completely out of the draft, even though he was never accused, arrested, or charged with any crime.

If the unnamed player in this case isn’t cleared before Thursday night, he could tumble even if he’s not guilty.

This makes it incumbent on every agent of every player who isn’t the subject of the investigation to say clearly and loudly and in no uncertain terms that their guy isn’t the guy who is facing this investigation.

As to agent who represents a player who was in or around Cleveland on April 9, the date of the alleged incident, there should be a shouting of the player’s non-involvement even more loudly, along with a demand that WOIO disclose the accused player’s name ASAP.

With a small, defined universe of players who may be the player facing the accusation, failure to identify the player indirectly defames the other players who it could be, but who it isn’t.

As to the 32 teams, someone unwittingly will be picking a player who brings negative publicity and, potentially, a prosecution and a guilty verdict to town. Thus, they each should be seeking clear assurances from each player they are considering that the player they are considering isn’t the guy who is accused of sexual assault.

Although WOIO has taken steps to keep the player’s name out of it, the mere existence of the story necessarily will pull the player’s name into it. With more than 48 hours to go until the draft begins, it’s inescapable.

Even if the name isn’t leaked to the media (and chances are it will be), the teams definitely will know who it is, When that player slides, so will everyone else.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
How hard is it to stay home and go the the fucking gym for a few months? Shit, it's like rocket science. When I was that age I might of been dumb asf but for millions it would of been easy to stay home for a few months.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think it's very prudent of the Police Officials to NOT release the Players name! Especially after the "Collins Matter" a couple of years ago, whitch F*%$ed him over!!

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Reminds me of Collins a couple years ago. There was already enough public info to see the kid didn't do it but because, technically, the police hadn't completely cleared him, he got screwed. Then, I was thinking, well, at least the rams can pick him up, and for a moment, fisher had some balls but they were quickly smacked around by Collins' agent. I would have taken him in the 4th or 5th and paid him the biggest bonus allowable to keep Collins happy. Would have solved some oline problems and enabled the rams to do some other moves the past couple years.

Ram65

Legend
Police radio traffic coming from downtown Cleveland's Westin Hotel after 3 a.m. Sunday, April 9 sheds light on the moment officers arrived on scene: "Officers on scene, no call back -- 23-year-old female conscious and breathing, victim of a sexual assault."

The accused is a college football player who is expected to be taken in the first round of Thursday's NFL Draft.

We are not naming the player because we're waiting for the police report. And we want to be very clear he has not been officially charged with a crime at this point.

By phone, investigative producer Cassie Nist spoke to the player's attorney, Kevin Spellacy, who said he is representing the player in this matter, but said the accusations are "ludicrous and ridiculous."

"In my opinion this young lady is an opportunist and it's actually despicable," said Spellacy.

The player's attorney says it all started at the Barley House on West 6th Street, when a group left there to go to the Westin for a hotel room party. He said his client was never alone with the alleged victim, and he has three witnesses who said he did nothing wrong.

When police arrived at the Westin, the player had already left. The attorney said he is willing to bring his client in to be interviewed by police, but not right away. He has made arrangements for the interview to be held right after the NFL Draft.

I forgot for a few minutes that this doesn't affect the Rams unless the name leaks and the player drops.

Any team with a first round draft pick should find out where their guy (s) were on April 9th. A little process of elimination would be wise. Shoot you never know what to believe at first glance. It could be nothing but, still be a distraction.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I forgot for a few minutes that this doesn't affect the Rams unless the name leaks and the player drops.

Any team with a first round draft pick should find out where their guy (s) were on April 9th. A little process of elimination would be wise. Shoot you never know what to believe at first glance. It could be nothing but, still be a distraction.

The teams will have the name - and by Thursday night, its likely we will know too. The big race for NFL teams is to investigate this and find out if its real or not - if you aren't sure, its a pretty big risk.

Ram65

Legend
The teams will have the name - and by Thursday night, its likely we will know too. The big race for NFL teams is to investigate this and find out if its real or not - if you aren't sure, its a pretty big risk.

I guess I was being naive that the name wouldn't leak. Good point about investigating the validity. Until it's known for sure I'm still finding out where my guy (s) was on April 9th from 12 AM to 3 AM.:)

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
http://m.tmz.com/#article/2017/04/25/nfl-prospect-gareon-conley-accused-of-rape-denies-allegations/

Gareon Conley -- a projected 1st round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft -- has been named in a police report by a woman who claims he raped her in a Cleveland hotel but he adamantly DENIES the allegations.

The 21-year-old was a superstar cornerback at Ohio State University and draft experts say he could be drafted as high as #10 in the draft on Thursday.

But according to a police report filed in Cleveland, a 23-year-old white female told police Conley violated her in a hotel suite bathroom at a Westin hotel on April 9.

According to the report, the accuser says she met Conley in an elevator and he asked her to have a foursome with another friend of his. The woman says she declined and offered to watch the other people have sex instead.

A short time later, the woman says Conley unbuttoned her pants and began to have sex with her. She claims she said, "No, stop, it hurts!" but he kept going until he finished. She says he then kicked her out of the hotel room.

The woman called 911 and described her assailant as a "black male who wouldn't take his sunglasses off and had an Ohio State tattoo on his left forearm."

The woman says she went to a local hospital where a rape kit was administered. But she refused to speak to cops afterward.

As for Conley, two of his friends who were at the hotel were interviewed by police and told cops Conley never hooked up with the woman and that she was just mad that she got kicked out of the room.

Conley's attorney spoke with Cleveland19 and denied the allegations calling the accusations "ludicrous and ridiculous."

Cops are investigating but so far no arrests have been made and no charges have been filed.

Story developing ...

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Strange....

I've read an article saying that flirting with a female is now considered sexual harassment. A lot of allegations coming out of the woodwork. Whats the trigger? My guess fame, greed.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
"According to the report, the accuser says she met Conley in an elevator and he asked her to have a foursome with another friend of his. The woman says she declined and offered to watch the other people have sex instead"

This part seems .... well .... hard to believe

Can you imagine being propositioned by a stranger in an elevator, declining, but offering to watch them go at it? It's not impossible but it's somewhat implausible.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
"the accuser says she met Conley in an elevator and he asked her to have a foursome with another friend of his. The woman says she declined and offered to watch the other people have sex instead..."

I hate it when that happens in an elevator!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I hate it when that happens in an elevator!
uhm-tae-woong-eugene-funny-elevator-scene-o.gif

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
If she is a victim, he should be banned before he gets started, and should be in jail.

If she's full of shit, she needs jail time. It's sad to say, but my generation seems to always be looking for an easy way out, and would take the most horrible of situations, ones nobody should ever experience, say they went through it, and laugh their way to the bank at the expense of someone else. This world has no honor, and it just makes it harder to trust the victim.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
If she is a victim, he should be banned before he gets started, and should be in jail.

If she's full of crap, she needs jail time. It's sad to say, but my generation seems to always be looking for an easy way out, and would take the most horrible of situations, ones nobody should ever experience, say they went through it, and laugh their way to the bank at the expense of someone else. This world has no honor, and it just makes it harder to trust the victim.

Defamation of character is grounds for being sued. If that is the case she should be charged for it. If this guy did, then yes sued and jail. Until proven guilty in the court of law.