First round goes to slot WR in camp battle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
MIKE SANDO
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... amp-battle

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- One of the fiercest battles in St. Louis Rams camp won't be for a position on the depth chart.

It'll be between Danny Amendola, one of the shiftiest slot receivers around, and Cortland Finnegan, the aggressive cornerback brought in to help new coach Jeff Fisher establish his program in St. Louis.

Mentioning the matchup to Finnegan on Monday triggered a flashback to practice a day earlier.

"He got me," Finnegan said. "The son of a gun got me."

Amendola finished the 2010 season with 85 receptions, instantly becoming a preferred target for quarterback Sam Bradford. Last season, a dislocated elbow and triceps damage suffered in Week 1 forced Amendola onto injured reserve. He appeared back in form when the Rams opened camp Sunday, as Finnegan can attest.

Finnegan played slot corner in Tennessee and figures to play that increasingly important role for the Rams. He's been working against Amendola all offseason. The two have earned a healthy respect for one another.

"He's going to be special for us," Finnegan said.

"It's good, it's fun," Amendola said. "He's a great player -- smart, instinctual, good to go against."

Back to their matchup Sunday. Finnegan had studied Amendola during the team's walk-through practice that morning. He was pretty sure Amendola would be running an out route from a quick-pass look. But when Finnegan stepped up to the line and pressed Amendola that afternoon, he could no longer see the tight end, whose route would have tipped off Amendola's intentions to run inside. The blind spot wound up being critical.

"When he started to go out, which he has never done all year, I wanted to go ahead and break on the outside of him and try to steal an outside breaking route," Finnegan explained. "The quarterback was under center and if you know football, if the running back is tight and the quarterback is under center, it is usually a quick pass. So, I was playing for quick pass and it just wasn't a quick pass."

Amendola ran inside on an angle route. Finnegan had no chance. The Rams hope that sequence repeats itself during the regular season.

"If you can cover him in the slot pretty much, there isn't any guy in the NFL you can't cover in the slot," Finnegan said.

Amendola won Round 1, but the battle is only beginning.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So geeked for Amendola's return this year. Dude is straight cash, homey.

1333_511_lg.jpg

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
X said:
So geeked for Amendola's return this year. Dude is straight cash, homey.

[ Image ]

"Mouse on crack"...very stoked about Danny A's promising return and redemption as well as the other 52 to be decided.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Finnegan is straight dolla dolla bills ya'll...still can't believe this "timing" w/ him and Fisher happened as such.
Rams sport a top 5 overall D there I said it esp if that front 4 delivers that oh so attainable constant pass rush and shore up the run D...all I can say is holy shit expect one fierce mother fuckin Rams D!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Attachments

• dannyoncrack.jpg
    dannyoncrack.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 148

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ah, an oldie but a goodie. :lol:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Ah, an oldie but a goodie. :lol:
I missed me some DA. Demoff explained it well in one of his answers, which are blowing up on twitter BTW, that the Rams were moving the ball well, when all of their starters were on the field. Danny is a very good player for us and was missed greatly.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, he's the bomb diggity in my book. And I could give a shit what his YPC is because he's going to be in the + margin all the time. Who couldn't use an automatic 6-8 yards on any given down? It's <mike tyson voice> ludicriss when people complain about that.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
Yeah, he's the bomb diggity in my book. And I could give a shit what his YPC is because he's going to be in the + margin all the time. Who couldn't use an automatic 6-8 yards on any given down? It's <mike tyson voice> ludicriss when people complain about that.

here's the thing, nobody would mind getting those yards every play but it doesn't happen. and i'd hate to take those yards if some other receiver has the chance to make big yardage but sam is locked into danny a. i never want to see bradford dependent on amendola ever again. hopefully other receivers step up so sam is only dependent on the open receiver.