First-round draft pick EJ Manuel may not make the Bills’ 53-man roster

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-manuel-may-not-make-the-bills-53-man-roster/

Report: EJ Manuel may not make the Bills’ 53-man roster
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 18, 2015

71ffb27a55e3cd31d08cbc1141546a06.jpeg
AP

Forget spending the next three months competing for the Bills’ starting quarterback job. EJ Manuelneeds to perform well over the next three months to have any job at all.

That’s the word from Joe Buscaglia of WKBW in Buffalo, who reports that Manuel may be done in Buffalo at the end of training camp. Buscaglia reports that the Bills would cut Manuel if they don’t see “serious progress” this spring and summer.

It seems awfully unlikely that the Bills would cut Manuel just two years after spending a first-round draft pick on him. Manuel’s contract is fully guaranteed, meaning the Bills are going to pay him the $2.8 million they still owe him for the next two years whether he’s on the team or not. In fact, his cap hit for 2015 would actually increase if the Bills cut him this year. And the Bills, who made a lot of expensive moves this offseason, only have about $7 million in cap space left.

For the Bills to cut Manuel, they’d have to conclude not only that he’s not good enough to beat out Matt Cassel to be the starter, but also that he’s not good enough to beat out Tyrod Taylor and Jeff Tuel to be the backups. And they’d have to conclude that Manuel is so bad that they’d rather pay him not to be on the roster at all than pay him to stand on the sideline holding a clipboard. If there’s really a chance of that, Manuel must look even worse behind closed doors than he looks on the field.
------------
While the Bills spent a first pick on him two years ago, it was a different owner, GM and head coach. While PFT may think it is unlikely that he gets cut, I am not sure why the current leadership would hold a less capable player because of what other folks did in the past. If he can’t make the roster based on merit, the money is burned and you can’t get it back by keeping him on the team.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'll take the kid as a number 3....At the very minimum he can run and if QB Coach Chris Weinke gives the go ahead lets bring him in to run the bumerooski!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I remember EJ looking pretty good in the senior bowl, I have no idea what happened to him since. maybe it has something to do with his past coaches too! I'll go with what @den-the-coach said!!

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Always nice to get one correct, although I did say I wouldn't draft him at all, he should at least find a spot on some team as a back up.

…..

Legend
They do it on a weekly basis in baseball, only with much larger dollars and much less fanfare. Pay the guy to go be somewhere else I say. Get rid of the distraction.

I'm sorry but none of these running QB's from prolific college offenses ever pan out. I wont even play the black card here because we have the same shit with Manziel and Tebow.

Its really simple. If you want no drama and and chance to not get fired, DO NOT DRAFT A GIMMICK, DO NOT TRADE THE FARM FOR ROBERT GRIFFIN.

(unless you trade the farm to the Rams)

Disclaimer- I am accepting no monies, favors, or event tickets from current NFL GM's for this advice.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Rex Ryan was in the same division so he probably has an idea of his ability, along with the ability of the rest of the guys on the team. It sucks to lose the money but why take up a valuable roster spot just because you owe a guy lots of money?

EJ was easily predictable for a first round QB, but not because of his accomplishments. It was more a measurable thing and he is a good interview. He is the ultimate tease. Teams loved him because he nailed the offseason interview process and as most NFL Coaches do, some were bound to be convinced that their ability to coach would turn him into an NFL starting QB. When will teams stop?

I like Cassel and Tuel better as prospects to start and as I alluded to, roster spots are far to valuable. I really think they should expand the roster by about 5 or 6 players.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Dag, yo. I never really liked Manuel and laughed a little when the Bills drafted him at 16, but... that's a short trip out of a city.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does that mean they're not picking up his 5th year option?

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Living here in western NY this is the first I've heard of this....most of the local news speaks of how well he is doing and how much Rex likes the kid.....interesting though. ..

Go Rams......... ;)

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
B.s. I'll believe it when I see it. Bad teams always blame the player for not being supermen and putting the franchise on their backs and wisping them away to greatness. He'll make a fine developmental 3rd string QB if they do release him right behind Mannon.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Sure, I'd take him if they released him. He's got to be better than Keenum and Davis combined, and he brings a new dimension to the team if we sign him. He's also a very good kid, from all accounts.

And wouldn't it be so ironic to get the guy that the Bills took when they traded down with us?